(Archived) Evernote 1.5 moves 1password to right side (edit)

bbbdesign

Idea

58 replies to this idea

This has been the single-most aggravating bug that I've experienced. It appears to be fixed.

Observations: in previous versions, if I attempted to navigate to a new website before Safari loaded these clippers (1Password and Evernote) it would aggravate the issue. Often moving 1P to the right-side.

It is not fixed by 1.6.1 beta. I deleted com.apple.Safari and added 1Password before and after Evernote Clipper. Within a few uses 1P was kicked all the way to the right again.

Update: It's going back and forth. I think it has something to do with the programming call being interrupted by the user. I saw someone post their logs for Clipper in Safari and it appears that if you don't give Safari 15 seconds to load it will kick 1P to the right.

Currently, [1P] stays where it is and [Evernote] jumps one position to the right every time that Safari is opened. I've deleted the com.Safari multiple times. Added each clipper at different times. Uninstalled both Safari and Evernote and 1Password.

I noticed a plugin under ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins/EvernoteSafariClipperPlugin.webplugin which 1Password does not utilize.

Version 1.7 doesn't fix the issue either. :)

Since the 1Password developers have offered to help fix the issue, I'd suggest that as we approach 4 months and two significant releases without a fix, that it's time to accept that offer and get this resolved.

Dave, we don't have any messages from the Evernote team in our inbox, so I'm afraid the message may have gotten lost in the ether. We do our best to respond to queries within 24 hours, usually sooner than that. If you could please write to us again at support@agile.ws, we'd love to work with you to get this issue resolved.

Thanks very much.

--

Gita Lal

AWS Customer Care

http://agile.ws/support

http://twitter.com/1Password

Here's the thing, 1Password has released upwards of 30 updates (beta included) and Evernote about the same. Safari has been updated five times. Mac OS X six times.

This bug still remains. It is because you are using the antiquated Internet Plug-in method. Please find another solution.

This works for me also. The only thing I've noticed is that 1Password is again getting moved back to the right side! Not sure why (1P or Evernote), but easier to deal with than all of the elephants!

Here's what I'm running:

2008 MacBook Pro 17", 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory

Mac OS X 10.6.2 (all current patches)

Safari v 4.0.4 (6531.21.10)

Glims Version 1.0b24 (1.0 build 24)

1Password Version 3.0.3.BETA-3 (build 30459)

Evernote Version 1.6.1 Beta 1 (69979)

Not sure if these matter, but I'm also running current versions of Socialite, HyperSpaces, MenuCalendarClock iCal, and iChat/Chax. These are the (non-Apple) apps I run all the time. I do run a bunch of mini-apps (e.g., TextExpander, SpiritedAway, ForeverSave, etc.); I can give you more info if you'd like.

Thanks,

-Diana

Thanks for the info Diana. Could you try a test for me? If you:

1) quit Safari

2) launch Evernote and uncheck the "Use Safari clipper plugin" in the 'Clipping' preferences window

3) launch Safari

Does the 1Password button no longer get pushed to the right side?

Will somebody from Evernote please address this forum to let us know the status of this ridiculously frustrating problem.

To be quite honest, I am not going to stop using 1Password, and I have stopped using Evernote until this is fixed. Any chance of upgrading to premium account has been lost until a solution is reached. :(:(

Will somebody from Evernote please address this forum to let us know the status of this ridiculously frustrating problem.
I hate to say it, but I think the length of time this issue has gone unaddressed tells us the status.
To be quite honest, I am not going to stop using 1Password, and I have stopped using Evernote until this is fixed. Any chance of upgrading to premium account has been lost until a solution is reached.
I do have a Premium account (for a couple of years now), because I find the multi-platform value to be compelling, but there's no doubt I don't use Evernote like I could. It's not that I don't have other options for getting content into Evernote (cut/paste, web clipper), it's just that they don't fit into my workflow as cleanly as the toolbar clipper. And this ongoing issue with 1Password has gone beyond simply annoying, to being a real customer service attitude indicator. As far as daily usage goes, 1Password trumps just about any other software conflict, so I'm with you. Evernote loses that battle every time.

Thanks again for the reports. We've tried to fix this problem about 6 times now, so we appreciate that this layout issue is annoying for people that it affects. We plan to keep on looking for a way to display a button in Safari's toolbar in spite of the lack of formal support for add-on buttons in Safari.

Thanks

Seems time to effectively start from scratch. I strongly dislike even the advanced implementation of the bookmarklet. As I observed previously, 1Password doesn't place a file in Safari plug-in wherein Evernote does. There must be an unexplored option here. Why does Evernote get kicked around but 1Password is untouched?

• Level 5*
Seems time to effectively start from scratch. I strongly dislike even the advanced implementation of the bookmarklet. As I observed previously, 1Password doesn't place a file in Safari plug-in wherein Evernote does. There must be an unexplored option here. Why does Evernote get kicked around but 1Password is untouched?

Here

Here's the thing: starting over from scratch is not always a good thing to do. See http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html.

~Jeff

Here

Here's the thing: starting over from scratch is not always a good thing to do. See http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html.

~Jeff

That link was familiar. It doesn't apply to this situation. I am very pleased with all the Evernote code EXCEPT a single plug-in. They are using a different method than 1Password to integrate and I was suggesting they follow 1Password's lead and start over.

Apple does not have any documented or supported method for adding buttons to the toolbar. That means that we need to guess at the right "trick" to do this correctly. Our current trick works for 95% of people, but fails in some setups. Now we need to guess what the right little "trick" is.

Rewriting our application from scratch isn't going to help us determine the right Safari add-on "trick." This is trial-and-error, and we don't even have any machines that reproduce the problem.

Is there any update/timeline on a new Evernote Web Clipper extension now that Safari 5 officially supports them?

I wouldn't hold my breath. This issue has been outstanding for so long, the only reasonable conclusion is that the Evernote team doesn't have any commitment to resolving it.

Hmm, the "1Password button moves to the right" issues for me somehow was fixed last year. At least it since happened rarely enough, that it didn't bother me. Don't remember the exact date or revision of Evernote when this fix happened.

Unfortunately since a few weeks the bug is back and its even worse that it was ever. I have to edit the Safari toolbar a couple of times every day to bring back the button to its original position next to the Evernote button.

This is REALLY annoying.

Btw. last year this issue was on a PowerMac with Leopard, now it is on a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard, so completely different hardware and OS.

As the main reason, why this long standing issue still is not resolved, is the inability to reproduce this effect by Evernote engineers, I can offer to install a special Evernote Mac built on my Mac Pro, that contains debug code to monitor the status of the toolbar closely and writes the results into a logfile for further investigation by your engineers.

Pete

I thought it was gone too, but look all the way to the right side of the Toolbar, after the Goole Search field, and you should see the 1Password icon over there. It is not making it disappear, but it is forcing it to the far right side of the Toolbar instead of where you put it with "Customize Toolbar".

Just saw it myself... its there. Wondering if there is a trick to get it on left again with out disabling plug-in. I wish apple would make it easier to for 3rd party developers to do this. I know Evernote is trying!

Guys I am quite frustrated, as I am sure you are too. At first, I experienced 1P tool button being shoved to the right side. Then, it disappeared after several opens and closes of safari.

I had to disable (AGAIN) web clipping!!!

Please try and get this fixed.

Thanks

Jon Donshik (using 1.5 for Mac) and SL 10.6.1

FYI the Evernote button appears to play well with the 1Password button if it is placed to the right of the 1P button. The Evernote button hasn't moved after a number of Safari restarts.

This is not the way I would prefer to arrange my toolbar buttons, but it's usable until Evernote gets is right.

Lew

20091014-kex2tn2k9geis5u4qy1waib92u.jpg

I'm having the same issue. I don't know if this helps with a solution, but I noticed that if I move the 1Password button to the left of the Evernote button then exit Safari it moves to the right of the Evernote button on restart. If I quit Safari again, the next time I restart it has moved to the far right of the bar to the right of the Google search bar. In other words, it moves farther to the right every time I restart until finally it's gone altogether.

Hope this symptom helps find a solution.

Thanks.

I have this problem as well, and I just decided to leave, and get used to, my 1Password button over to the right, but it is still gone after I relaunch (before):

post-18727-131906064385_thumb.png

However, the other problem I'm having, which is more annoying, is that I get multiple (4) buttons for the Evernote Clipper every time I relaunch Safari. I can manually remove them, but they keep coming back (after):

post-18727-131906064386_thumb.png

I've also tried disabling them via Evernote preferences, but they still come back.

Running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and Safari Version 4.0.3 (6531.9). I also have 1Password version 3.0.0.BETA-72 (build #30072) and Glims Version 1.0b22 (1.0 build 22).

i am glad i found this thread because i initially thought it was something wrong with safari, snow leopard or something outside of evernote but i seem to have had the exact same problem although i also have the evernote button moving to the far right of the google search bar on safari.

i even found the four evernote duplicate buttons and wondered what i had done to cause it. once deleted they never came back though. it could have been on an evernote upgrade but i can't remember.

anyways the issue can be resolved by using 'customize toolbar' to re-add the evernote button but it can get annoying when you're looking for it and it pulls the disappearing act.

looking forward to a fix here.

I notice that I get an evernote toolbar icon for every window that I currently have open in Safari.

The logs show this on starting Safari:

11/23/09 12:24:42 PM Safari[3478] EVERNOTE: The toolbar is a changing!

11/23/09 12:24:43 PM Safari[3478] EVERNOTE: I'm in the toolbar!

I'm using Glims http://machangout.com/ to have Safari reopen the windows I had open when I quit Safari. I believe the option is called "Re-open last session when Safari starts" under "Tab Misc."

Okay, here's all I did, with results:

1) quit Safari

2) launch Evernote and uncheck the "Use Safari clipper plugin" in the 'Clipping' preferences window

3) launch Safari

1Password's button was still on the far right initially, so I moved it, and restarted Safari. Now it stays where I moved it (on the rightmost left spot); I've restarted Safari a couple of times just to ensure it stays (it does).

So that's good.

Then I went back into Evernote, turned the Safari clipper back on, and restarted Safari. That worked okay, so I restarted Safari again. This time, the 1P button moved all the way over to the left of the toolbar (just to the right of the forward/back buttons). I've restarted Safari a couple of times, and it all seems to be locked this way now.

I moved the 1P button back, and restarted Safari. Back on the far right! Restarted Safari a couple of times (without changing anything else); 1P always stays on the far right.

Moved 1P back to middle left, restarted Safari, 1P gone. Restarted Safari, back, but far right. Moved it to middle left, restarted Safari, went back to far right. Restarted Safari again (without moving), moved to far left. I'm not sure of the pattern here, though, except the 1P button keeps winding up on the far right or far left.

I don't use the Web Clipper that much anyway, so I'm just going to disable it for now. Let me know if you need more information.

-Diana

I also have the "multiple elephant heads" issue. I'm running Saft (not Glims) and Leopard (not Snow Leopard). It's not related to the 1Password issue, because I run into the same issue even if I disable 1Password browser plugins. It seems to be an evernote issue with a window/tab relauncher.

Just want to add that I'm effected as well (using the latest Safari 4.04, 1Password 3.02, and Evernote 1.5.2 on a Mac G5-2.0 with Leopard installed). Multiple clipper icons and 1Password icon being moved to the right side of the toolbar. I'll try the workaround about placing the Evernote Clipper icon to the right of 1Password's icon. Also happens on our MacBook Pro with the same apps installed.

Ivor

FWI, the problem persists with Evernote 1.6.0 (though the release notes indicate something about the "clipper" issue being addressed). Evernote 1.6.0 moved the "elephant stampede" to the very far right of the Safari toolbar. I'm speculating (and it's only that!) that it has something to do with the way Evernote loads the custom icon. Other software that add toolbar icons don't seem to have this happen.

yes it is annoying. i do appreciate EN's support for Mac and iPhone but it seems pretty obvious that they're not the sharpest with Apple technologies. i would expect they'd eventually come around and higher some top notch Apple talent that would fix the issues and make the Mac and iPhone apps more efficient and much better looking!

If you want to help them I suggest you buy a premium account if you don't already. I did this a few months ago and, even though I am not making the most of the bandwidth with that package, feel that I'm getting some pretty decent value.

For something so obvious and annoying, you'd think after going on 3 months now we'd have a fix, or at least more info on why it can't be fixed. :D

We appreciate your patience. The main issue in resolving this is that nobody at Evernote is able to reproduce the problem. We haven't given up on it however.

There's a new pre-release build available, 1.6.1 Beta 1, which attempts to address the issue with multiple elephants appearing in the toolbar. I say "attempts" because, as I mentioned, we are unable to reproduce this problem.

If you could give it a try and let us know the results, we would be most grateful.

Please try:

Quit Evernote from the Menu Bar

Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash

Reboot your Mac

Download and install this pre-release version of the Mac client:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/ ... releaseMac

This works for me also. The only thing I've noticed is that 1Password is again getting moved back to the right side! Not sure why (1P or Evernote), but easier to deal with than all of the elephants!

Here's what I'm running:

2008 MacBook Pro 17", 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory

Mac OS X 10.6.2 (all current patches)

Safari v 4.0.4 (6531.21.10)

Glims Version 1.0b24 (1.0 build 24)

1Password Version 3.0.3.BETA-3 (build 30459)

Evernote Version 1.6.1 Beta 1 (69979)

Not sure if these matter, but I'm also running current versions of Socialite, HyperSpaces, MenuCalendarClock iCal, and iChat/Chax. These are the (non-Apple) apps I run all the time. I do run a bunch of mini-apps (e.g., TextExpander, SpiritedAway, ForeverSave, etc.); I can give you more info if you'd like.

Thanks,

-Diana

Archived