Buggy and getting ready to uninstall

This is the second time that I have tried Evernote and I am about to unistall the buggy software.

The PC version does not sysnc on closing even though i have that selected in settings.
It nicely destroyed some notes because of that flaw.

The Android version will NOT let me sign in using the PW that I used for the PC.
When trying to reset the password it will not let me use the current password that works on the PC...

It seems like Evernote should get the basics right.  I don't know how they expect anyone to buy the premium version

when the basic version is this buggy....

Thanks in advance for your help

• Level 5*

This is the second time that I have tried Evernote and I am about to unistall the buggy software.

The PC version does not sysnc on closing even though i have that selected in settings.

It nicely destroyed some notes because of that flaw.

The Android version will NOT let me sign in using the PW that I used for the PC.

When trying to reset the password it will not let me use the current password that works on the PC...

It seems like Evernote should get the basics right.  I don't know how they expect anyone to buy the premium version

when the basic version is this buggy....

Thanks in advance for your help

It sounds like your mind is already made up but concerning the sync on exit setting I have had issues with that as well and just leave it unchecked and just manually sync before I need to exit.  Either way, it still shouldn't have harmed any notes.  Can you provide more detail on that?

I'm an IOS and not an Android user but you should definitely be able to sign in with the same username and password used on the other devices.  As a suggestion, log into your account on the web and change your password there and then logon to your PC with the new password.  If that all works then try again on the Android.

Hi Tittiger,

I think you may have other problems. Having never had any problems with sync on exit, I think you need to elaborate on the problem.

Do you also set up for auto sync?

Are you turning Evernote off all the time? Or do you keep it running when your computer is on.

What  version are you running?

What version of Windows?

Best regards

Chris

S2sailor --  the data on a  PC note was overwritten when evernote neglected to sync on close.  When I changed the note on my Android it was that version that overwrote what was on the PC when I next manually synced it.

The log in problem resolved itself. However  I think Evernote needs to back down on the heavy handed Password rules and let one choose their old password during a password reset it that is what they want to do.

Per Chris: "Are you turning Evernote off all the time? Or do you keep it running when your computer is on."

Like every other user Chris I do both.

"What  version are you running?" ---- the latest I just downloaded them.

"What version of Windows?"  ----- Windows 7 64 bit.

I am testing the autosync as we speak......

OK the auto sync works on the PC  but the sync on close still does not.

I just verified that autosync works even if you close the app before it gets a chance to sysc.

The PC version also does not sync on opening, presenting an opportunity for notes to get out  sync and data to be destroyed.
Destroyed data is is the reason I abandoned the IOS notes application but  unfortunately destroying user data seems to be common theme in note taking software.
I see a high potential for doing so with Evernotes. All I takes is for one to forget to Sync before working on a note. ( I have seen the Droid version fail to sync on opening and have not tested it for syncing if the app happens to be open.)

It is unclear how Evernote syncs.  My guess is that the version with the latest time stamp is considered the version to keep.   OR perhaps a roll back to previous versions would be a way to address this issue. Perhaps that is what evernote is doing with showing  the previous days versions of the notes.  The way it is done though is IMHO a bad way to do it because it presents the possibility of  accidentally starting to edit a previous version of the note.    Getting to previous versions of a note should be a much more deliberate process, perhaps with a verification box that makes you doubly aware of what you are doing. Remember Mr. Murphy.

Ever note has a lot of potential I am just stumped as to why some of these basic concerns are not addressed. It looks more like a product in early Beta than a released version.  The Esthetics of the app suk everywhere except on IOS IMHO. It would take me days to thoroughly test all of the permutations. I have not tested how syncing works if you leave the apps open and do not close them. In all cases I have opened an app from being closed when testing the syncing.

Regards thanks for your help.
Joe

Per Chris: "Are you turning Evernote off all the time? Or do you keep it running when your computer is on."

Like every other user Chris I do both.

Hi Joe,

Actually I leave Evernote running all of the .,Of the people I know who use Evernote, they do as well. but maybe some, folks like you don't.

The problems you seem to be having I have not come across. It seems to me that you are convinced there is a problem with Evernote, so in your shoes, I reckon I would move on to some other Note taking app. There are load out there, I am sure you will find something that suits.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

It is Evernote's goal to make the sync process seamless, they have made improvements but they are not there yet.  If you move between multiple devices daily you are more prone to problems.  Until sync just works, the safest approach to avoid problems is to sync when you first use a device and sync when you quit.  That said, EN sometimes catches these sync conflicts and will create a "Conflicting Changes" notebook and put the note in there and then you can manually decide which version of the note you want to keep.  If you haven't already, check your devices for this notebook to see if there are any notes there.

When you uninstalled the first time, did you do a clean uninstall? By that I mean not relying on the Windows native unistall process as they are notorious for leaving hidden files that mess with your system later.

The below link takes you to a commonly recommend unistall software called Revo and the free version should do the trick.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

That said, no software out there is 100% fool proof and Evernote is not the exception to the rule.

Good luck.

Archived