Issues with tags in shared notebooks.

Jay Batson

Idea

Hello -

I've got several shared notebooks where content is tagged.  The tags appear to sync between my devices, and sync to the people with whom the notebook is shared.

However, tags aren't working as expected.

Here's the specific example: I've got a 54 notes tagged "cocktails".   :)  They're all in a notebook shared with my wife. We're both premium users.

Here's what I see:

• In my Mac client, I can click Tag (in the home sidebar), double-click cocktails in the tag list, and all (54) of the notes tagged cocktails appear in a list. Good!
  • Sync to my iPad. The word "cocktails" appears in the tags list.
  • Touch Tags from the iPad home, touch "cocktails" in the tag list.
  • I get a screen saying "No notes found. You don't have any notes tagged with 'cocktails'."  (Which is, of course, untrue - see above.)
  • (I've also tagged them by the base alcohol - gin, vodka, .... The same behavior appears when I try to find a cocktail using one of those tags, e.g. touching gin gives me a "no notes found")
  • I even went to the trouble of deleting a tag from a cocktail, syncing all devices, re-adding the "cocktails" tag from the iPad, syncing across all devices, and trying to find the recipe via the tag. Still no joy.

Note: I've COMPLETELY reset my environment. Re-installing Evernote on my iPad triggered an ENTIRE reset of my ipad. (I restored it to factory defaults, installed it as a "new iPad", and restored applications a few at a time - finishing with Evernote, and a full re-sync. Evernote didn't _really_ require this; but after my iPad got excruciatingly slow after my iOS 8 update, I decided a full reset was in order.)

So, now I have:

- iOS 8.0.2 freshly installed on my iPad (2)

- Evernote 7.5.1.311939

And I can't get a list of all my cocktails via the tags.

Is it me, or is this capability not available with (shared) notebooks in Evernote?  If not supported, can I get tag-recall back by taking the notes out of a shared notebook?

-jb

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Wow Jay!  This is really unacceptable behavior by Evernote Apps.

You have really put out the extra effort to make things work, and yet, the EN iPad refuses to deliver.

Just to be clear, you mentioned shared NBs at the beginning, but if I understand your problem correctly, you are using the same account on your iPad as you Mac, so sharing should not be involved, correct?

I just ran a test using my MBA-13 running OS 10.9.5 and EM Mac 5.5.2 and my iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.0 and EN iOS 7.5.1, and a Tag search yielded the same number of Notes on both devices.

So, why doesn't it work with your Mac an iPad?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the Tags on your Mac.  I have seen several issues reported recently where Tags are NOT syncing properly across devices.

Try this as a test:

1. On your Mac, do the Tag filter for "cocktails" you used above
  2. Select all these Notes, and Create/Add a new Tag named "TagTest"
  3. Clear the Tag filter, and set a new filter using "TagTest"
    1. Should yield the same number of notes as "cocktails"
    2. Record this number
  4. Sync your Mac
  5. Now, go to your iPad
  6. Sync your iPad
  7. Do a Tag filter on "TagTest"
  8. Does that yield the same number of Notes as on your Mac in Step #3.
    1. If it does, then we have a key clue
    2. The Tag assignments in your EN Mac somehow are NOT syncing properly

If you can wait, I would NOT make any further changes to any of your EN data (all devices)

I would now Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. Just start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Be sure to include a link to this thread in your Ticket.

If by Monday afternoon you have not received a real response from Evernote Support, I would do a Chat to get things going now.

This must be incredibly frustrating for you.  You have been very thorough, and taken all the proper steps to resolve this issue.  Hopefully EN Support will be able to resolve your issue quickly.

Good luck, and keep us posted here on how it goes with Support.

Well, I figured out what the problem was: The notes were all in a shared notebook that I am not the owner of. I did two things to verify this:

1. Moved all the notes to a non-shared notebook. Finding all the notes via the tag worked.
  2. Moved all the notes to a shared notebook that I own. Finding all the notes via the tag worked.

I vaguely recall some other discussions around tags in notebooks of which I'm not the owner, and so I'm going to chalk this up to current functional limitations in Evernote. IMO, Evernote needs some serious re-architecting to handle tag limitations in shared notebooks. (E.g. I don't like the inability to create tags in notebooks I don't own and have them propagate to other notebook users; notebook owners need granularity in what can be done with shared notebooks, e.g. content read/write, tag read/write, etc.

Unless somebody (e.g. JMichael) thinks I ought to file the initial condition in my post as a bug, I'll consider this a solved issue for now.

Thanks, JMichael, for jumping in.

• Ex Employees

Well, I figured out what the problem was: The notes were all in a shared notebook that I am not the owner of. I did two things to verify this:

1. Moved all the notes to a non-shared notebook. Finding all the notes via the tag worked.
  2. Moved all the notes to a shared notebook that I own. Finding all the notes via the tag worked.

I vaguely recall some other discussions around tags in notebooks of which I'm not the owner, and so I'm going to chalk this up to current functional limitations in Evernote. IMO, Evernote needs some serious re-architecting to handle tag limitations in shared notebooks. (E.g. I don't like the inability to create tags in notebooks I don't own and have them propagate to other notebook users; notebook owners need granularity in what can be done with shared notebooks, e.g. content read/write, tag read/write, etc.

Unless somebody (e.g. JMichael) thinks I ought to file the initial condition in my post as a bug, I'll consider this a solved issue for now.

Thanks, JMichael, for jumping in.

I believe that you should bring this issue up with the Evernote Support team. If you message back your ticket # I'd be happy to assist in further investigation. 

Related issue: I joined a shared notebook. Then I left that shared notebook. The tags from that other person's notebook are still showing up in Evernote (all apps). I cannot delete these tags.

When I right-click on one of my own tags, I can delete it. When I right-click on one of the tags from the shared notebook (and remember: I'm no longer a member!), I cannot delete the tags.

Any advice?

Related issue: I joined a shared notebook. Then I left that shared notebook. The tags from that other person's notebook are still showing up in Evernote (all apps). I cannot delete these tags.

When I right-click on one of my own tags, I can delete it. When I right-click on one of the tags from the shared notebook (and remember: I'm no longer a member!), I cannot delete the tags.

Any advice?

I have the same problem. I can´t delete these tags. Help Us!

• Level 5*

Any advice?

I have the same problem. I can´t delete these tags. Help Us!

See the following for a fix provided by Evernote Support:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/76301-unable-to-remove-unused-tags-remaining-from-old-shared-notebooks/?p=323496

Archived