Possible to copy a file placed within the same note and then update one file without updating the copy?

I noticed today that if I place a .doc file within a note, then make a copy of the file within the same note, the two files are "linked". That is to say, if I make any changes in one, then it automatically does the same to the other. (This does not happen if I place the copy of the file in a new note.)

I don't see the purpose of this behavior - what is the use case for creating a copy of a file within the same note that then acts the same as the original?? 

Is there any way to change this behavior so that copied files are treated like a new independent file (as happens in Windows)? I am using EN Desktop on Windows 7

Thanks for any tips

• Level 5*

I think this is a bug, or at least poor design.  I suggest you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. Just start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.

This same issue was recently reported by another user.

As a work-around, you can save the attachment to your PC, rename it, and then attach the new file to the same note.

• Level 5*

I noticed today that if I place a .doc file within a note, then make a copy of the file within the same note, the two files are "linked". That is to say, if I make any changes in one, then it automatically does the same to the other. (This does not happen if I place the copy of the file in a new note.)

I don't see the purpose of this behavior - what is the use case for creating a copy of a file within the same note that then acts the same as the original?? 

I think you're seeing what was reported here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/69504-copying-an-excel-file-within-a-note/#entry308710

Archived