How to revert back to old version of a note?

Hi there.

An old version of a note was on my iphone (apparently the newest version of the note never synced to my phone?). My newest version of the note was on my desktop, but it apparently never synced to the server.

The old version of the note on my on my iphone synced to the server after I opened the iPhone app to see my newest version was there, and when i opened my desktop this morning the new version was overwritten by the old version from the iphone. how do i revert back?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Need more info to help you:

1. What is your desktop platform, and what OS ver?
  2. What is your mobile device, and what OS ver?
  3. What versions of Evernote are you running on each?
  4. Do you have a Free, Premium, or Business Evernote account?

Answers as follows:

1. What is your desktop platform, and what OS ver? Evernote 5.4.1.3962, Windows 7 enterprise
  2. What is your mobile device, and what OS ver? iphone 5s, ios 8, evernote 7.5.1.311939
  3. What versions of Evernote are you running on each? Evernote 5.4.1.3962 on windows desktop, evernote 7.5.1.311939 on iphone 5s
  4. Do you have a Free, Premium, or Business Evernote account? Free
  • Level 5*

Looks like have have current versions Evernote -- that's good.

Unfortunately, the Free account does NOT provide the "Note Version History".  That might have helped.

EDIT:  2016-12-02  3:36 PM CT

• Fortunately, you can upgrade to Premium (for only 1 month if you so choose), and then "Note Version History" will be available, even for Notes changed prior to the upgrade.

Since you say your EN Win Notes apparently didn't sync to the EN Cloud, the only possibility of recovering those Notes is on your local system.  Do you have a backup of the EN DB on your Win machine after you created the Notes, but before they were overwritten?

If you don't have a backup, sorry to say, but I think you are SOL, unless someone else can jump in here with a brilliant solution.

Edited by JMichaelTX
Add note about Premium upgrade
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*

I completely understand your frustration.  Sync can, and must be, absolutely accurate and bullet proof.

Issues with sync have been reported a lot recently, and one can only hope that Evernote is hard at work on solving it.

Having said that, I have developed a habit that helps me avoid 99% of sync issues:

1. Manually sync, and sync often.  Don't rely on the autosync.
  2. Always manually sync after:
    1. Entry/Edit of an important Note
    2. The end of each session
    3. The end of each day
    4. You're finished with one device, and want to switch to another device
    5. You first start using another device
  3. For important work, view the Notes on the other device to make sure all Notes are sync'd
  4. Backup important and hard-to-replace Notes. Go to File > Export to export as an ENEX archive file.
  5. Make sure you have an active, frequent Backup system always running (at least once a day, hourly if possible)
    1. I use Time Machine on the Mac for hourly backups of changes
    2. A lot of people use the online backups like Carbonite and CrashPlan

I know it may sound/look like a lot of work, but once you get into the habit of doing this stuff, it becomes automatic, second nature.

You may want to give this a try before you throw in the towel with Evernote.

You can also do a one-month upgrade to Premium account ($5) so that you can get full Evernote Support to help you resolve your sync issues.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

This is a late reply, but normally when there's conflict between two versions of the same note, Evernote does either of the following:

- saves both notes, one as the original note, the other as a copy in a different notebook, usually named something like "conflicted note - date/time".

- saves both note contents in the same (original) note, with a divider in between.

The first case happens when the conflict occurs in the desktop version,

and the second case happens when the conflict occurs in the iPhone or iPad version.

So in the OP's case, since the older version note from iPhone synced to the server first, and the conflict must have occurred when the newer version on desktop tried to sync, it's likely that the first case would have happened.

This is based on my experience, and I haven't had issues with sync overriding my newer version of notes.

• 6 months later...

Just adding my frustration to the thread.  I have used Evernote for a year and VERY frequently waste a ton of time clearing out duplicate data from synching errors, but this week I had it.  I had been updating a note on my iPad for about 2 months and obsessively doing manual synchs so I would not lose my data.  Today I opened my note on my PC to look at it and it was a version from weeks before.  I logged into the web version and confirmed it too was weeks out of date -- none of the updates from my iPad seemed to have worked.  The real kicker -- when I opened the note on my iPad again it had reverted to the very old version on my PC and it didn't even have a noted conflict, which means I lost a ton of work.  

I just can't risk my data with Evernote anymore.  It really needs to alert you when synch fails and KEEP the newest version of a note, not overwrite it with a much older one.  As near as I could tell all my syncs worked fine.  I am talking about more than 20 updates that were never saved to the server.  ugh.  

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

So, yeah, I just had the exact same problem as tklow. It makes me pretty ticked... Because it's not just words being lost, it's precious time from someone's life spent on a work project... I just started getting into a groove with Evernote, too. :( I wonder what other methods are more reliable? Google docs is all I can think of, but their app interface sucks. 

Anyway I am posting because I have a question about this. JMichaelTX said this, "Unfortunately, the Free account does NOT provide the "Note Version History".  That might have helped." So, I have the free version, and I just lost my updates (well, EVERNOTE lost my updates.). If I join premium right now, would I have access to my version history from before I was a premium member? Could I get all my updates back by doing this?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, k8meeder said:

If I join premium right now, would I have access to my version history from before I was a premium member?

Yes.  You only need sign up for a month.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for the quick answer! :) 

I was just about to sign up for the month, and I realized something I hadn't thought of before: the note I need the version history of is a shared note. It belongs to my husband, and he shared it with me to edit. If I sign up for premium, will I have version history of this shared note, or will he have to sign up for it to set things straight? 

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, k8meeder said:

I was just about to sign up for the month, and I realized something I hadn't thought of before: the note I need the version history of is a shared note. It belongs to my husband, and he shared it with me to edit. If I sign up for premium, will I have version history of this shared note, or will he have to sign up for it to set things straight? 

Good catch
The note history is only for your notes, and does not include shared notes

Your husband is the one who needs to sign up to access Note History

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
57 minutes ago, k8meeder said:

Thanks so much for the quick answer! :) 

You are welcome.  What @DTLow said.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've used Evernote for years with no syncing problems but today I was going to need to access something on my iphone. So as always I manually synced from my working laptop installation, then opened evernote on my Iphone and thought I saw it sync up. A few hours later I returned home, opened my laptop and found that a two-week old version had overwritten my most recent version!!!! TWO WEEKS of notes GONE. I am VERY unhappy and am not sure I caan trust Evernote again, becaue I think I did everything right as far a syncing, and see no reason why this happened... 

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Leanna said:

...a two-week old version had overwritten my most recent version...

Are you looking for assistance in restoring your notes contents?

When I lose data, I restore from my personal backups, or from Evernote's Note History archives.

Note History is a paid feature, but you can subscribe for a single month.

Update: I discovered the more recent version. Evernote had made about seven copies of the old version all on the same note, and then way down at the bottom, I was RELIEVED to discover, it also made two copies of the most recent version... all without giving me any notice of there being a conflict! It was only when I realized that the note was VERY long and copied it into Word that I realized it had become many copies of two or more different versions. This is surely a bug in the new software, because older versions of Evernote used to make nice "conflict" notes where I could always go and compare and there was never any trauma. 

• 3 weeks later...

This being a Premium and not a Free or at least EN-Plus feature is a terrible, terrible thing. I was willing to pay and I payed some months ago for a yearly subscription of Plus, as I didn't need all the Premium functionalities; I'm paying for Premium just once to grab the previous version of a note I lost because Evernote Crashed while editing a note and didn't let me undo the changes. I'm using the remainder of my yearly subscription to migrate off EN and shutdown my account. The service was great, but stagnated 2 years ago. I got to rely a lot on the tool and supported you regarless of the sudden charge on fees for things that I didn't deem appropriate when you made the switch a couple of months ago; but this is just ridiculous.

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-02 at 5:23 AM, GabrielAquilano said:

This being a Premium and not a Free or at least EN-Plus feature is a terrible, terrible thing.

My personal opinion is that the Note History Backup feature is just business, not a "terrible, terrible thing"

As users, we can always implement our own backup process - I do

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, roverson said:

the only way to recover the most recent version is to upgrade and thus get Note History? Is that correct?

You didn't identify your platform, but as a general answer - if Note History is the only backup you have, Yes
You only need to subscribe for a single month

>>if Evernote just randomly reverted back to a way old version of one of my notes,

I'd be concerned about why this happened.  Evernote doesn't retain old versions of your notes for reversion - usually this is caused by multiple installs of Evernote

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

You didn't identify your platform, but as a general answer - if Note History is the only backup you have, Yes
You only need to subscribe for a single month

>>if Evernote just randomly reverted back to a way old version of one of my notes,

I'd be concerned about why this happened.  Evernote doesn't retain old versions of your notes for reversion - usually this is caused by multiple installs of Evernote

I have evernote on my iPhone. Last night I opened the app, and my phone was on airplane mode. In the preview of the note I saw everything I had last put in it, but when I opened it, it had reverted to a way older version of that note. When I got out of airplane mode, the problem still remained. This is a note that is my "brain dump" - I use it to capture ideas or tasks or to-dos, so It's prretty important I get the recent data back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2015 at 6:01 PM, invu798 said:

This is a late reply, but normally when there's conflict between two versions of the same note, Evernote does either of the following:

- saves both notes, one as the original note, the other as a copy in a different notebook, usually named something like "conflicted note - date/time".

- saves both note contents in the same (original) note, with a divider in between.

The first case happens when the conflict occurs in the desktop version,

and the second case happens when the conflict occurs in the iPhone or iPad version.

So in the OP's case, since the older version note from iPhone synced to the server first, and the conflict must have occurred when the newer version on desktop tried to sync, it's likely that the first case would have happened.

This is based on my experience, and I haven't had issues with sync overriding my newer version of notes.

I am having a similar problem at the moment. I was on Evernote on my phone editing a note, not realizing that it hasn't synced to the most updated version of the note. Later when I went back to the computer to work on the note, it synced and retitled my note 'Note conflict name of the note', and erased all the changes I made yesterday. However it didn't do either of the things named above (save both in a different notebook or save both on the original note). 

Is there anyway I can get any of those changes back?

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, arccoombs said:

Darn okay. I only have the free version so Note History is not a thing I have access to. Thanks.

You can subscribe for a single month and get access to the backups

21 minutes ago, arccoombs said:

Darn okay. I only have the free version so Note History is not a thing I have access to. Thanks.

You can pay for just one month of Premium and get Note History access.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a free user. Could Evernote make an exception of helping me access one particular note history? If not, if I go premium now, can I access previous note history? (And for that, is the Plus plan enough?)

Thanks,

Peter

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, sznt said:

if I go premium now, can I access previous note history? (And for that, is the Plus plan enough?)

It's only available at the Premium level, but you just need to subscribe for a single month

Yes, the data is being constantly backed up for everyone and runs several times a day

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, TumbleweedDrift said:

Evernote fails to sync correctly and I have to pay 8 bucks for it???

Not sure what your syncing problem is

You can also maintain personal backups and use them to restore data

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just want to leave my feedback here so you guys might be able to make Evernote better. 

Here is my situation:

• My girlfriend and I both use Evernote. We both have the basic version and we both use it on our desktop and iPhone. I'm pretty sure we both have the latest versions on our devices. Here are mine just in case
    • iPhone 5s ios 10.2.1 : Evernote version 8.1
    • Desktop win 10: Evernote version 6.4.2.3788
  • We share a notebook
  • On 20/02 (19 days ago) I created a new note in our shared notebook. 
  • Somewhere between 20/02 and 01/03 I opened up the note on my iPhone and made an edit. Let call the version of that note OldVersion
  • In between my edit and yesterday (09/03) my girlfriend made a lot of changes to the note, both via her desktop and her mobile. (I believe it's irrelevant for the story via which device she did so).
  • Yesterday I again made a change to the note via my iPhone. I did not notice I did not had the latest version. Evernote didn't give me a warning or a conflicted note, so I just made my change. Let call the version of the note CorruptedVersion
  • Today (10/03) my girlfriend opened up the note, and suddenly she saw CorruptedVersion. All the changes she had done in between OldVersion and yesterday (09/03) were lost. Needless to say she wasn't very happy. She also didn't get any conflicted version or something similar. 

Now, given that we're both basic users I initially assumed all hope was lost. Anyway, since it was a very important note I just tried to upgrade to premium and try to consult the version history (snapshot in attachment). To my surprise, I found all the versions my girlfriend created neatly stored in there. I reverted back the version of yesterday, made my own changes and now everything is back to normal.

However, I did take me a long while to get everything back ok and it cost me an upgrade. In my opinion, the problem that occurred here is not something for which you should have a premium account. I completely understand that you want to make version history a premium feature, but I see version history as a feature to enable users to correct errors they made themselves to a note, not a syncing issue of Evernote

In the basic version, I would expect this behavior:

• User opens up OldVersion, for which already numerous new versions exist.
  • User tries to make an edit
  • Evernote notices OldVersion is not the same as NewestVersion, or there is an internet connection problem and Evernote can not verify if the user his version is the same as NewestVersion. Evernote throws a popup stating:
    • Pay attention, the version you're trying to edit might not be the latest version. Would you like to continue with your edit or first download the latest version?
      • Button: Continue with my edit anyway
      • Button: Download latest version
  • Evernote does not let the user continue unless he/she explicitly clicks the continue button.

EDIT: Right after posting, I realised the issue might be caused by my iPhone not sending it's OldVersion to the server. If that would have been the case, I would expect Evernote to create a conflicted copy from the moment the CorruptedVersion is being sent in. It can be compared by using it's created date and looking if there were any version created later than the current version.

Well, sorry for the long post, I hope you can do something with my feedback.

Kind regards,

Niels

corruptednotehistory.PNG

Edited by Niels Goetschalckx
Extra thought after posting
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Niels Goetschalckx said:

In the basic version, I would expect this behavior:

• User opens up OldVersion, for which already numerous new versions exist.
  • User tries to make an edit
  • Evernote notices OldVersion is not the same as NewestVersion, or there is an internet connection problem and Evernote can not verify if the user his version is the same as NewestVersion. Evernote throws a popup stating:
    • Pay attention, the version you're trying to edit might not be the latest version. Would you like to continue with your edit or first download the latest version?
      • Button: Continue with my edit anyway
      • Button: Download latest version
  • Evernote does not let the user continue unless he/she explicitly clicks the continue button.

Perhaps Evernote could be better at this.  It does recognize some conflicts

Of course, if people are updating notes with no internet connection, there is no way for Evernote to know there are alternate versions out there

The best way to prevent conflicts is to sync your devices before you start and after edits

• Like 1
17 hours ago, DTLow said:

Perhaps Evernote could be better at this.  It does recognize some conflicts

Of course, if people are updating notes with no internet connection, there is no way for Evernote to know there are alternate versions out there

The best way to prevent conflicts is to sync your devices before you start and after edits

Hi DTLow,

First of all, thanks for your quick reply!

I do want to note that I really think this problem could have been avoided. It's true that a loss of internet connection is a real pain though. But given the assumption that it was indeed an internet connection problem when I was trying to save OldVersion to the server, then I think the problem could have been avoided this way:

• User start editing a note, in our case OldVersion. Evernote creates an EditDate that it stores on the device of the user. It also keeps the link between the EditDate and the note of the version OldVersion the user is editing
  • Upon saving the note to the Evernote server, the server checks if newer versions exist between the EditDate and the current time. 
    • If no newer versions exist, the server saves the edited note, send back an OK response and the EditDate of the note is cleared on the device.
    • If newer versions exist, the server .... (here you can do a lot, show a popup, create a conflicted copy, ... The actual action doesn't really matter, it's important the conflict is noted).

With the above implementation, it doesn't matter if I lost my connection multiple times before the save succeeded. My device will only think it has the latest version of the note from the moment it got an OK response from the server.

In case you have any questions or doubts, feel free to ask, I'm really hoping on helping the Evernote community with this.

Kind regards,

Niels

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2017 at 10:17 AM, DTLow said:

My personal opinion is that the Note History Backup feature is just business, not a "terrible, terrible thing"

As users, we can alays implement our own backup process - I do

I am amazed that you are calling use of stored note history for solving EN sync issues a feature though I agree that it WOULD be a feature if it saved us from poor USER practice.  And that you think that we should have to pay more to recover an important note when the product fails and loses our info due to buggy syncing.   Syncing  is THE core service I'm ALREADY paying for. Just because the business wants to create more expensive payment levels does not mean that they are not obligated to do their job right for the products sold at another level and deliver what was sold.   To charge me a second time to fix my note after EN broke it is horrible, as the other poster said.    That's effectively selling customer support at a level when support was to be included.

Now if they put that out there as a clear condition of service for their other paid levels then that might be acceptable. Something like: "Evernote Silver may lose data upon syncing on occasion and if your data is important to you , then you should only use Evernote Gold"  

Explaining away bad practices (charging to save our data from results of program bugs)  gives the company, who's livelihood depends on providing a reliable cloud sync service, well, it gives them a pass when they really need to wake up and make sure their ship is not slowly "syncing" (ha ha) due to inattention to the most important aspect of keeping it afloat.   Think about that, guys.   We want this software to work and stay working.  Ignoring core issues while constantly offering new features is far more attractive to the company and programmers.  They need to be reminded that there are bugs to iron out, especially when our data is at risk. 

Personally, I was able to open EN on another pc  disconnected from the net, copy the note that was over-written by EN and rebuild it as a new note before the sync messed it up.  So, for me, I'm fine.  But I do feel the need to push back against what I feel is often excessive explaining and excusing here -  for everyone's benefit

Steve

PS. I find backup on EN to be confusing and not automatic in anyway like Office or my email programs.  Yes I do it every month or so, but really, every few hours?  
EN needs to :

1) create an auto backup (with quick, selective restore) function that constantly saves where directed.

or

2) keep note history and allow paying users (at least) access to it as a backup alternative.

Protecting our data should not be the most complicated aspect of using the software. 

• Level 5*

Yeah yeah, Evernote's bad,  boohoo ?
You didn't even mention the corrupted data caused by software bugs
I can understand why you would chose to use a different service

I still advise everyone to have a backup plan for their data regardless of the service used
It doesn't have to be Evernote Note History; as I said I have my own backups

Regardless of the cause of the problem, this is my solution for reverting back to a previous version of a note

• 1 month later...

If you have just lost your change sin Evernote, you can recover your note using local files backed (should be up automatically - if not be sure to switch it on!)

Mac

1. Go to Go, hold down option key, select Library

2. Search for Evernote in the Library folder 

3. Sort the version history by "last modified"

4. Double click the first or second note in this list

5. Give your note a new name and move it to the relevant folder.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, BertieTBE said:

If you have just lost your changes in Evernote, you can recover your note using local files backed (should be up automatically - if not be sure to switch it on!)

Can you provide more details on this?  I’m not seein this option.

Experienced this dreaded overwrite of new note by old note today, lost roughly 4 hours of solid work.  Fuming to say the least.  What's ticked me off even further though, is after paying to upgrade to premium to access the version history feature, I still cannot see any other version than the "current" - how do I go about sorting this issue, note was written in iOS and (presumably) overwritten by my Windows app when I went to use the data within the updated note.  Failing that, how about a refund and going back to the Plus account.  Ridiculous.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, HMc said:

after paying to upgrade to premium to access the version history feature, I still cannot see any other version than the "current" - how do I go about sorting this issue

If you have a Premium account, you have access to the Note History feature598c7d868add1_ScreenShot2017-08-10at08_35_31.png.03fb83605770bcafaf1e6cc4e9563e80.png

It's available on the Mac/Win platforms, on the Note Information page

When I use the feature, I see various note versions

598c7e391239d_ScreenShot2017-08-10at08_38_21.png.0c772a3a9569bc7dfea20af62d7e5603.png

I'll never use Evernote again and I discourage its use for work related issues.

I had a note/list that took me two years to get it done. Some day (last week) I openned evernote and the content of this note was replaced for another one! It's impossible to get the older version back since I am not a premium user. And now I lost all my hard work...

This is not a reliable software. It's ridiculous have to pay to get the note back since the problem wasn't my fault.

If you need a good reliable software I suggest OneNote.

Thanks Evernote for nothing

You can recover lost notes from local files - even if you are not a premium user. You have always been able to do this - it's simply not true that you need to upgrade to premium. 

On a Mac, search the Library for a folder called com.evernote.Evernote

/Users/YOUR NAME/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote

In a Windows PC, look in the C drive. There is an equivalent systems folder under Evernote.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, rodolfo_schellini@hotmail. said:

It's impossible to get the older version back since I am not a premium user. And now I lost all my hard work...

You can subscribe for a single month and retrieve your notes from the Note History backup

I'd advise everyone to think about backups for your data.  There are alternatives to Note History.  On Macs, we have a builtin Time Machine feature

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, BertieTBE said:

You can recover lost notes from local files - even if you are not a premium user. You have always been able to do this - it's simply not true that you need to upgrade to premium. 

You're right - you don't have to be a premium subscriber
Any user can implement a backup process; I run a daily/weekly process on my Mac
In addition, Macs have a Time Machine process

Your recovery instructions aren't completely clear.  After locating my Evernote database folder, how do I recover my lost data

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2017 at 4:37 PM, DTLow said:

If you have a Premium account, you have access to the Note History feature598c7d868add1_ScreenShot2017-08-10at08_35_31.png.03fb83605770bcafaf1e6cc4e9563e80.png

It's available on the Mac/Win platforms, on the Note Information page

When I use the feature, I see various note versions

598c7e391239d_ScreenShot2017-08-10at08_38_21.png.0c772a3a9569bc7dfea20af62d7e5603.png

Thanks for the guide but I had already followed this procedure, and the only options I had available were the same overwritten old note.  I guess this premium feature is totally useless for app users rather than Win/Mac users.  The fact I couldn't change my account subscription via the app is obscene as well, I've ended up paying 2 months for premium because I had no desktop access, to attempt to solve an issue which shouldn't have arisen to begin with, and I've still lost all the data.  Unreal

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for A MORE RELIABLE, BETTER FUNCTIONING app?? I am so sick of this oversight in EN functions, it's ridiculous. This has happened to me a few times now over the years now, and I really don't know why I put up with this lack of quality. Last night was really the last straw.  I signed up for the premium account as suggested, but of course... the very important content I was looking for was not backed anytime after I had written the info. So, that was another waste of money plus honestly, just lots and lots of wasted time and energy. So devastated by the work I've lost. I would really love a recommendation for a better problem. Please help. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-24 at 10:49 PM, Hapieldy said:

Does anyone have any recommendations

I know of no services offering the full feature set of Evernote
There are many apps available; what features are important to you?

>>the very important content I was looking for was not backed anytime after I had written the info.

Evernote's Note History backup runs frequently but I don't know the schedule
I have personal backups; daily but I could switch the frequency

• 2 years later...

Just used Cmd+X, which cut the text out of old note. And then wanted to paste that part into a new note. And buffer was empty. Nothing got copied! Lost all the data meant to move to another note by cutting them out. 🤦‍♀️

Undo function did not work either. And I did not find any way to recover the note. 😟

MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

Free version of Evernote 7.14 (458244 Direct), Editor: 69.3.10951(15add1e)

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Astmens said:

And I did not find any way to recover the note.

I use backups tp recover deleted content from a note
I have personal backups, and Evernote has a Note History backup

Access to the Note History data is a paid feature - you can subscribe for a single month (Premium account)