Signed out of desktop, files are now gone

Hi All

I only started using evernote this week and have been unable to get the content from the desktop to sync to the web based app. In an attempt to get the desktop and web based evernotes to sync I signed out of both today assuming that the notes in the desktop version were saved somewhere locally. Now I cant find them and have lost 3 days of chemistry research work. I have my activity log, is there any way to recover these notes?

Thanks

• Level 5*

Windows? Mac?

Signing out shouldn't make you lose notes. Presumably you're tried signing in again?

On WIndows, your notes are stored locally in a SQLlite database with the extension ".exb". Common location for this file is "C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\<Evernote user name>.exb"

• Level 5*

I don't know what you mean when you say "there is only afew of my notes there". If you have a .exb, then that will hold all of your notes.

Is this the WIndows desktop application or the Windows Touch app? I only know about the former.

I have the notes I shared using evernote

Its windows desktop

I can see my two user names with .exb after them but I cant open them

You have to invoke the EN desktop app & sign in with the correct user name.  It will then use the user-name.exb file as the local database.

• Level 5*

If you see two user name .exb files then you have created two accounts, one for each name.  Try logging into each account separately.  Between the two, probably all of your notes are there.

I have 3 user names that were assigned to me by evernote based on the email my account. So I cant log in and out of the different usernames because they are all based on one email. 

I can find the database .exb files using tools>options, so I just need to know how to know how to open or extract those files

• Level 5*

I tryed opening the user.exb file with Evernote but it wont work.

What does that mean? Evernote doesn't allow you to open a .exb file; it associates a .exb file with your user name when you sign in.

What, specifically, did you do?

I went to the .exb file and right clicked, open with, then found evernote and selected that.

Im sorry about sounding abit stupid at this stage I just dont know what to do with these .exb that have my notes in them, do i use a program to open them, import them to evernote?

I went to the .exb file and right clicked, open with, then found evernote and selected that.

Im sorry about sounding abit stupid at this stage I just dont know what to do with these .exb that have my notes in them, do i use a program to open them, import them to evernote?

You want to do what s2sailor said.

If you see two user name .exb files then you have created two accounts, one for each name.  Try logging into each account separately.  Between the two, probably all of your notes are there.

The exb files are the Evernote database & are prefaced with your-user-name. IOW, if my user name is BNF, then my exb file will be BNF.exb I need to login as BNF with the correct password. As s2sailor said, if you have multiple exb files with different file names, then you have created multiple accounts. If it won't let you in, then the password may be wrong.

Iv contacted the customer support about logging in with the other username, hopefully theyll get back to me with something.

Its frustrating because I can see the .exb file right there but I cant open it or do anything with it.

Thanks for yer help everyone

Archived