Formatting tool buttons disappear randomly in Windows editor

I don't know exactly when it started but recently it has become very annoying...

When you click on a note to edit it, the line of format tools (font, bullets, indent, attachment, etc) appears.... MOST of the time.  

However, that bar randomly disappears while editing, being replace with "Created, Updated, URL" stats that normally only show when you have clicked in an element other than in the note editor.   What's up with that?

I don't think it did this before the last update.

I'm on "5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public"

• Level 5*

I saw this once, and once only a day or two ago. Wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing, and couldn't reproduce. I just clicked away, I think on that note in the note list, and then clicked back, and the editing toolbar came bar.

Seems like a glitch, but getting a sequence that reproduces it faithfully would be really helpful to the devs.

• Level 5*

I don't know exactly when it started but recently it has become very annoying...

When you click on a note to edit it, the line of format tools (font, bullets, indent, attachment, etc) appears.... MOST of the time.  

However, that bar randomly disappears while editing, being replace with "Created, Updated, URL" stats that normally only show when you have clicked in an element other than in the note editor.   What's up with that?

I don't think it did this before the last update.

I'm on "5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public"

Myself and others share your frustration.  When it happens I click in the title field and then back into the note field to get the toolbar back.  There is more discussion here.

Seems like a glitch, but getting a sequence that reproduces it faithfully would be really helpful to the devs.

This post provides a consistent reproduce sequence, at least on my system.

• Level 5*

Happens to me frequently as well.  Typically I have to scroll up to the title, click and return to the body to get the toolbar.  Has anyone submitted a ticket?

• Level 5*

jefito, on 09 Oct 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

This post provides a consistent reproduce sequence, at least on my system.

Yep. That's pretty reproducible for me, too.

• Level 5*

Happens to me frequently as well.  Typically I have to scroll up to the title, click and return to the body to get the toolbar.  Has anyone submitted a ticket?

I haven't.  I'm hoping one of the developers will see the thread.

• Level 5*

I haven't.  I'm hoping one of the developers will see the thread.

Support ticket #762392.

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

I got a response ages ago. The first tech said that they couldn't reproduce it, but they escalated it up the chain, and the second tech said that they'd give it to the QA folks to reproduce and then send it to the devs to schedule a fix. It's a pretty minor bug for me, so I never followed up, but it's still there.

Detailed steps to reproduce:

* Select a new note view (snippet, card or list)

* Click on a shortcut

* Click in the note area of the first note in the resultant list

* The editing toolbar appears as expected

* Click on a shortcut (can be the same shortcut you used before)

* Click in the note area of the first note in the resultant list

* This time, the editing toolbar doesn't appear; if you then click to the title area, and then back to the note area, the editing toolbar comes back

The above seems to be very consistent on my system, which is 5.8.4.6736

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

There is a way to lock the editing toolbar, it is a registry hack, set (DWORD) "AutoShowNoteToolbar" to 0.  You can still get to URL and create/modify dates through the information icon.  The hack adds Show Note Info and Show Editing Tool Bar to the View menu.  Works for since I don't use the info fields that often.  FWIW.

post-58142-0-50089200-1431191959_thumb.p

• 5 months later...

It seems to happen to me most frequently after I've pasted something external in the note. This was the only consistency I could find in when it happens. But clicking into the title area and back into the note does seem to resolve it.

Archived