Does uploading pdf/ppt takes up local storage?

So evernote premium has like 4gb upload limit. Previously on free, i just sync text i type out, so I dont hit the limited quota at all.

I have a few questions: 

1) Now that I got premium, is it worth uploading pdf/doc/ppt to evernote for the purpose of archiving (no frequent access)? Currently I keep my documents in Box Sync. Since Evernote has "unlimited storage", perhaps I should take advantage of it.

2) If I access evernote on phone (but do not open those pdfs), will it auto download everything and eat up local storage? I think that is the case for PCs, not too sure for phone.

Thanks in advanced!

• Level 5*

So evernote premium has like 4gb upload limit. Previously on free, i just sync text i type out, so I dont hit the limited quota at all.

I have a few questions: 

1) Now that I got premium, is it worth uploading pdf/doc/ppt to evernote for the purpose of archiving (no frequent access)? Currently I keep my documents in Box Sync. Since Evernote has "unlimited storage", perhaps I should take advantage of it.

2) If I access evernote on phone (but do not open those pdfs), will it auto download everything and eat up local storage? I think that is the case for PCs, not too sure for phone.

Thanks in advanced!

In response to your questions:

(1) If you are happy with Box Sync, I'm not sure that I would move/upload these files to Evernote

• Evernote seems to have problems with large accounts, and with large file
  • EN limits you to a max Note size of 100MB, which includes attachments
  • Evernote is not as good of a File Manager as systems like DropBox (I'm not familiar with Box Sync)
  • PPT files are an issue in that EN may create very large PDF file (4X or greater) for inline viewing of each PPT file.  The are stored ONLY on your local computer.
  • I have seen a lot of EN sync issues lately, so I wouldn't move files to it unless I had to
  • Conclusion:  Stick with Box Sync for now, unless you have a really compelling reason to move to EN

(2)  EN iOS (iPhone/iPad) does NOT automatically download Note attachments just because you view the Note.

• The attachments are presented first as an icon which says "Tap to Download"
  • Tapping here will download and open the attachment
  • The next time you view the Note, the attachment will show as an icon (like "PDF"), which will open if you Tap it
  • The attachment will now be stored in local cache for some time (EN does not tell us how long), but can be cleared/released at any time.

Thanks JMichael! Box sync works like Dropbox, but with more features like preview (on computer and mobile) and auto upload iif you edit on mobile, plus it had many promotions where it gives free users 50gb.

I guess I'll stick with box sync then, since evernote still has sync issues for having many large notebooks

• Level 5*

I have a few questions: 

Thanks in advanced!

The benefit of moving your pdf/doc/ppt to EN is that you can search the contents of them, if that is of value to you.  Depending upon how many files you have and their sizes it may be worth it to you to put them into EN, your call.  You can emulate your file structure with tags if you like, though you certainly don't have to with the search parameters available.  You would not want to put the notes in any notebook which you flagged for download on your phone, since they would get downloaded then.  

I store all of my saved documents like the above in EN and it seems to work okay for me.  To give you a sense of that scale, one data point any way; I have 26k notes in total of which 16k are pdf, 150 are word, 600 are excel, and 200 are ppt.  Total data base size is 18GB.  My notes aren't that large overall, I only have 18 that exceed 20MB, largest is 44MB.  FWIW.

Archived