(Archived) Rules

I'd love to see rules implemented in Evernote, to automatically file notes into the correct notebook. So for example I'd like web clippings to automatically go into a notebook called "Web Sites", based on "kind" (mac terminology), or have specific notes go into "To Do's" based on finding the words "to-do" in the title.

If this could be done at server level it'd mean the rules would be applied no matter where the note comes from. To be usefull if implemented at the client side it'd have to be available in ALL clients (including the iPhone), and even then the user would have to set up the same rules several times.

I also think it's crazy that, in the Mac client anyway, I can't set the notebook I want in the clipping window. I know I can select a notebook BEFORE hitting "new Note" if I'm in the client, but that doesn't work for clippings, which still go to the default notebook even if another is selected, and anyway, how would I pre-select a notebook if I'm not IN the client?!

Mark

You may want to try using Saved Searches instead. I.e. perform a search and then hit the "Save" button to save it to perform again later. If you really just want to find all of the notes that have "to-do" in the title, you can search for that once like this:

intitle:"to-do"

and then save this search for use again later.

Yes that could work - great idea, but you realise what it means don't you - the iPhone client now NEEDS to sync the saved searches too! If I scrap the idea of using notebooks to organise everything (because I can't do it automatically and am using saved searches instead), I currently lose all of my organisation on the iPhone. Saved searches would bring it back.

Specifically, is there a list of available search modifiers somewhere? The fact that you suggest saving intitle:"to-do", rather than just a general text search tells me there probably is, but I can't find it (not helped by the fact your support search isn't working in Firefox on my Mac).

Cheers,

Mark

Yes that could work - great idea, but you realise what it means don't you - the iPhone client now NEEDS to sync the saved searches too! If I scrap the idea of using notebooks to organise everything (because I can't do it automatically and am using saved searches instead), I currently lose all of my organisation on the iPhone. Saved searches would bring it back.

FYI - the iPhone version does sync saved searches already:

1. Tap the search box.

2. Tap Advanced

3. Scroll down and tap Saved Search then pick your search.

post-13376-131906064367_thumb.gif

Archived