REQUEST: Why can't we

jnetp

Idea

9 replies to this idea

I just opened a PDF attached to an Evernote note in another application (PDF Expert 5). So this doesn't seem to be a limitation I'm experiencing. 

However, when you say "document" are you referring to an Evernote Note itself? Then indeed the options are limited, but they are about equivalent to the options on the desktop version. Though with some third-party extensions for iOS coming out, I have some options I didn't have a few months ago. For example, it now appears I can export a note directly to Pocket. This might be because Pocket is great at saving web content, and Evernote notes are formatted, under the hood, very similarly to web content. 

No Evernote client has native pdf conversion, however third parties (including your desktop operating system) do offer such a possibility.

On iPad, I'd recommend an application like Readdle's PDF converter:

PDF Converter - Save Documents, Web Pages, Photos to PDF by Readdle

https://appsto.re/ca/3t3QA.i

With the new iOS 8 update, you should be able to enable PDF Converter in the share menu in Evernote by opening the share menu, tapping the ellipsis, and toggling Pdf converter on.

Here's a screenshot with PDF Converter added to the Share menu in Evernote:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s25/sh/06c8041b-a134-402a-860a-075c71393b55/bfb562ccec4e7fd665d1df85bfd70bbf

Alternatively you can use your desktop to perform this. Load the note you want, select print, and on Mac, you can just save it to a pdf using the drop down menu in the bottom left.

i was doing that but ever since the 8.0.2 update evernote is not allowing me to open anything in any other ipad apps. Previously i was doing just what you said. I opened everything in the pdf converter app. I no longer have that option and i was wondering why?

When you click the share button you should be presented with two rows of apps. At the end of each row is an ellipsis button. Tap that ellipsis to show a list of applications with available extensions. PDFS converter will be in the ellipsis on the bottom of the two rows. From here you can toggle PDF Converter from the list here, and it will appear in the bottom row as pictured in the screenshot.

That being said, I haven't had any luck converting to a PDF today, this is the first I've ever tried though. I am also using PDF converter Beta which might have some bugs.

Desktop would be the most reliable way at the moment I think.

I'm sorry, I'm not being clear. There are two separate sets of ellipsis depicted in the first screenshot below:

1) the green ellipses that appear when you are viewing a note in Evernote

2) The grey ellipses that appear in the share menu that can be invoked in almost any app. 

It is the grey ellipses that I am referring to. see the first screenshot:

https://www.evernote.com/l/ABk0PYh7mCFKDbEA8WmhyGLzqr35anEBEOw

In the second screenshot, you'll see the menu that is available when you tap the bottom of the two grey ellipses. 

Does this clear up what I am referring to?

Now, all that being said, I haven't had luck getting the PDF converter extension to successfully convert a PDF. When I hit the extension it wants a note link, I select Private, and it appears to be working away at converting, but then it never does. 

Archived