PDFs from Notability Not Always Being OCR'd

I'm doing some schooling outside of work and while Evernote has always been part of my class workflow, I've decided to go all-in this year. By that, I mean EVERYTHING is going into Evernote and I refuse to use a pen/paper. My entire workflow is stylus, iPad w Notability, my iMac, and Evernote - with a bit of Dropbox in there too. 

Right now, my flow is as follows:

1) Save class reading's (.pdf's) to Dropbox each week as they become available

2) Import them into Notability and by virtue of this, my readings are now available in Notability on my iPhone, iPad, and iMac - though I'm having trouble with the iMac sync part right now. From here, I can do my readings and markup the pdf's as I see fit. 

3) Once the reading is over and my notes have been taken, I create an Evernote note for that reading (e.g. Unit 3 Reading 1). In there I create a brief summary of the reading (point-form) and throw my Notability file from Dropbox into the same note in EN. 

The problem is, some of these notes are not OCR'ing. I'm concerned that what EN is picking up is my annotations, and not text within the file itself. 

Anyone else have experience with this (Notability PDF's being OCR'd). 

I am a premium subscriber and some of my notes work, but others don't. 

• Level 5*

No information here - only suggestion I can come up with is to add a unique word,  something that (probably) won't come up in your material at all,  and add it to your annotations as a footer with several line breaks in front of it,  so it's not easily noticeable for human readers.  Do a regular search for that word and at least you'll know whether your notes are being OCR'd.  Other than that this is definitely a support ticket area - we just don't have any information about how the process works.  If you get brushed off by the support team,  try posting your ticket number here - we can flag it for you and maybe get a second opinion...

Brave decision by the way to go completely paperless here - when you get around to writing up your experiences,  please post the link - I'd think it would be a useful case study!  Although if Evernote want to use it,  get them to fix your problem first...   :)

• 3 months later...

Brave decision by the way to go completely paperless here - when you get around to writing up your experiences,  please post the link - I'd think it would be a useful case study!  Although if Evernote want to use it,  get them to fix your problem first...   :)

After 5 months I have a pretty good idea about what worked and what didn't. Finally got around to writing it up. This is my experience going paperless with Evernote and Notability.

http://www.techbarber.com/going-paperless-school-work-possible-not-everyone/

Archived