Enable sidebar on new web gui

tshefi

Idea

So figured I'd try out the new web UI, it's nice and clean great , other than the huge problem (IMHO.. :D )  it's I missing the notebook sidebar. 

I mean sure I can click on "notebooks" and get a temp view of it, it's missing that "thumbtack " option to keep it open for good.

Don't get me wrong I could live without it, but it makes me want to switch back to old web UI, for that notebook sidebar enabled by default.

My two cents

Tshefi

6 replies to this idea

So figured I'd try out the new web UI, it's nice and clean great , other than the huge problem (IMHO.. :D )  it's I missing the notebook sidebar. 

I mean sure I can click on "notebooks" and get a temp view of it, it's missing that "thumbtack " option to keep it open for good.

Don't get me wrong I could live without it, but it makes me want to switch back to old web UI, for that notebook sidebar enabled by default.

My two cents

Tshefi

Thanks. Can you elaborate on what you do with the sidebar / why you are missing it so we can understand your workflow better?

• Level 5*

I think what the current UI design is missing is that although sometimes it's nice to have a distraction free environment, most of the time we as users need quick access to our data. This need as well as having an idea of where our new data fits with our existing data are far more useful than a blank sheet of paper.

I want to see my stacks, my notebooks, my tags, as many of my notes as is practically possible. This is way more useful to me than lots and lots of white space. I think it's possible to have a new, cleaner UI without sacrificing the data density that many of us need.

Yes, I really really miss this.

The reason for it is that I normally put all my notes in a notebook called _INBOX. When I have time to organize my notes I put them in different notebooks. The problem is that now that takes a lot of time. I want to be able to just drag and drop notes from my _INBOX notebook to other notebooks.

Hi Josh, 

I can't say for sure, but I need the sidebar tree view it helps one keep stuff organized, maybe it's only me and my "old brain"  :blink:

Example I'd like to search for  "put" in this case Bash related tip

Search result returned a few notes: 

One for my wife (love-notes)

Another for my shopping list notebook

And only then that old bash note i was looking for Bash notebook. 

Yes sure I could be more specific on search and probably narrow it down till i get to that Bash put command.

But hey I know this was saved under my Bash notebook, using sidebar I'd first move over to that notebook and search for notes only under that specific notebook.  

Think of it this way notes  and post-its have always had color or were organized per specific categories, this same order is kept with notebooks and the preferred method of accessing them as such is via tree view, rather then one search location that checks all of them together. 

Tshefi

+1 for bringing back or restoring the sidebar with fast access to notebooks and tags.

The removal of this old, useful feature is enough of a hassle that I'm planning to move away from evernote. As mentioned above, excess whitespace, particularly on widescreens, is a waste of pixels. The pinning idea would be a smart option to keep your power users happy. I would focus instead on saving your users time, clicks, RSI, and irritation.

Archived