(Archived) What is the best way to store a list of usernames/passwords?

I am new to evernote and loving it so far!

I am in the process of transferring my piles of paper notes into Evernote. I have a paper list I maintain of all my usernames and passwords for all the websites that require registration/membership. Can this be stored safely in Evernote?

Thanks!

You can put them in there & encrypt them I guess, but I am not sure I would be comfortable with that. I would suggest you look into a password manager program. I've used RoboForm on an encrypted thumb drive for years & it works flawlessly.

I don't use Roboform, but definitely agree that it's best to use a password manager for passwords. If you use a PDA or smartphone, you may want to find one that will sync with your device so you have your passwords/PINS/SSNs/etc with you on the go.

I keep some passwords in Evernote by typing them into a note and then selecting them and right-clicking to encrypt them with a passphrase. This is more for archival purposes ... a dedicated password manager will automatically fill in web forms for you, etc., so may be more appropriate for high-volume password usage.

If the auto-fill aspect wasn't required, and password storage was just for record-keeping purposes, is there any reason to think the information would be any less secure in an encrypted note in Evernote, than a dedicated password storage system? Can we know the encryption method used by Evernote to assess its strength against other software?

If the auto-fill aspect wasn't required, and password storage was just for record-keeping purposes, is there any reason to think the information would be any less secure in an encrypted note in Evernote, than a dedicated password storage system? Can we know the encryption method used by Evernote to assess its strength against other software?
When you encrypt text within Evernote, it is encrypted using a password-derived 64-bit key using the RC2 cipher.

I don't know anything about the various encryption methods. But I'm guessing the EN encryption method Dave mentioned is very good. So I suppose if you didn't have many entries, the EN method would be good. I have many entries after years & years of joining message boards, various web accounts (electric company, the local newspaper (which I would cancel but my husband loves to read the sports page as a real live newspaper), cable company, etc. I also store VPN info for several of the work computers I need to access. And since I am responsible for my 92 y/o mother, I have a lot of sensitive info for her as well as sensitive info regarding my siblings (SSNs, since changes to some of her investments require us providing my siblings' SSNs since we are set up as beneficiaries). So being able to do a search & find only the records I need to deal with & isolating that info from the rest of the note is helpful to me. Of course, you could have separate EN notes for each topic. But sometimes, there is crossover, so you'd either need to decrypt multiple EN notes or duplicate the info. IE, since my mother & I both have accounts with JP Morgan/Chase, the routing number for JP Morgan Chase would need to be stored in both my note as well as my mother's note. Or I'd have to decrypt two notes, if it was stored in only one note. (No pun intended.) I prefer to not duplicate info b/c if it ever changes (not likely in the case of a bank's routing number), you have to be sure to change all instances.

OTOH, it could just be that it's the system I'm used to using, after many years & I'm comfortable with it. ;)

Definitely, a pragmatic reason I use a password manager, is that I sync it with my iPhone. And the data exists on my iPhone. So if I needed to pull some info from the password manager on my iPhone, I don't need to worry if I've got i'net access or if EN's servers are down (highly unlikely but possible).

[whisper]

(Or if the current EN iPhone app doesn't really save favorited notes to my iPhone.)

[/whisper] ;)

As long as my phone works & has power, I should be good to go.

Archived