Generic Scanner

I have a ?? brand scanner which I paid several hundred dollars for about a year ago. I have configured the scanner to scan in documents as PDFs and place them in a folder on my computer, "For Evernote", which I have designated as a monitored folder in Evernote for Windows. These files are imported without problem into Evernote for Windows.

I realize that as these PDFs are processed by the Evernote OCR (I am a premium member), but what would really be valuable is if the business cards are able to be converted to contacts which then can be sent to Outlook and possibly even to LinkedIn. 

I believe this is the way the iPhone app works, and will use this while away from my desk, but while at my desk it would be much more efficient and accurate to use my desktop scanner and then have these contacts go into Outlook. 

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thank You,

Rob

Just wanted to add additionally that after using the iPhone app for scanning, it would be great if the Windows Evernote application could work almost exactly this way. Would also want to edit the Business Card scan in Evernote for Windows like you can in the iPhone app and allow saving to Outlook contacts like the iPhone app, being smart enough to create a new contact in Outlook or if previously saved in Outlook just update. This seems to work very well on the iPhone.

I am still a little baffled why I am unable to edit the contact details in either the web interface or the Windows interface. Of course, if I were able to save I would want to be able to update in Outlook. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  At present only the Evernote Edition Scansnap Scanner recognises business cards specifically,  and I'm not sure how far you can get towards managing the content of those scans - I don't believe it's possible to automatically transfer them to Outlook,  though Evernote should be working towards giving Windows machines the same capability as the iOS scanning process.  For the moment you could look into Evernote Hello,  which saves card details in a specific format,  or you could investigate AutoHotKey or something similar which - provided you log into the appropriate apps and run a script - could maybe copy details from a Note into a Contact form. 

At the moment I just rely on finding contacts in Evernote and manually transferring them as and when I need to.

• 2 weeks later...

wow a +1 on this.   back when i went nuts digitizing my life - I just put my whole rolodex on autofeed in a regular hi-speed scanner.  This is a dataset in files and folders I really care about getting into Evernote at a later time (stuff in Dropbox goes in organically but for the most part, hasn't been a big deal)

I would love a feature in Evernote (or 3rd party integration/tag) to automatically parse business card images.

bonus if it can automatically rotate images and double bonus if it can attach an image of the *back* of the business card (no OCR necessary)

Archived