Where'd stacks go?

chrisMcloutier

Idea

26 replies to this idea

It's so unfortunate that a debuted version of the web product doesn't include some of THE most useful features of the entire program. I've opted back to the previous version--and I'll be hard pressed to "upgrade" in the future unless there is demonstrable proof that stacks DO work! I'm disappointed, Evernote. I really could have waited for a version that was complete, rather than being told Evernote is all new when in reality it's only partially new -- and partially working compared to its former capacities. Beta or no beta, I expect it to be at least fully functional at the previous level before "upgrades" even enter the picture.

That is such a bummer, but thank you for your reply.

Not sure if your answer also applied to my second question - is it possible to easily search for multiple tags in the new version, and if so, how? It was extremely intuitive and easy in the original version, and I used it all the time.

If not, will this function be added back, and if so, when? This one is a dealbreaker for continuing with Evernote at all (as I can't count on the old version being supported forever), so I'd like to know if I need to find another program or not.

Uh oh... I also just noticed that all my organization for tags has been completely deleted in the new version, replaced with alpaphabetization.

I guess my question is... really?? This took me so long to set up and I was very pleased with it. Is there any way to get my organization back without reverting to the old version?

Another important question - in the future, can we trust Evernote to preserve the work we've put into customizing it to fit our needs (based on the capabilities of one version, which I used as they were intended), or will there be more changes that undo our work and turn our carefully organized systems into a mess?

Hi Samus, 

Unfortunately, we don't support this right now in the Beta. While we continue implementing features, you may have to unfortunately opt out of the Beta and continue using the current Web Client. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Uh oh... I also just noticed that all my organization for tags has been completely deleted in the new version, replaced with alpaphabetization.

I guess my question is... really?? This took me so long to set up and I was very pleased with it. Is there any way to get my organization back without reverting to the old version?

Another important question - in the future, can we trust Evernote to preserve the work we've put into customizing it to fit our needs (based on the capabilities of one version, which I used as they were intended), or will there be more changes that undo our work and turn our carefully organized systems into a mess?

Thanks Nancy. Confused about your note on how to move a notebook (I assume "note" was an error, as notebooks go in stacks, not notes) to a stack: "Supported via notebook dropdown in the upper left corner of the edit note toolbar".

When I'm in edit-note mode, I see the notebook dropdown in the upper-left corner, but I don't see how to move a notebook to a stack. 

Sorry I wasn't clear.  We support moving a note into a notebook that is in a stack right now via the notebook dropdown. Moving notebooks within stacks will be available when we support creating stacks. 

Thanks Nancy. Confused about your note on how to move a notebook (I assume "note" was an error, as notebooks go in stacks, not notes) to a stack: "Supported via notebook dropdown in the upper left corner of the edit note toolbar".

When I'm in edit-note mode, I see the notebook dropdown in the upper-left corner, but I don't see how to move a notebook to a stack. Right-clicking anything in the dropdown just brings up the "Save page as" menu, and attempting to drag and drop a notebook doesn't work.

This is true in Firefox and Chrome.

Thank you everyone for your patience.  Here's the latest on stack functionality that is currently available. We will continue to build up the functionality in future releases.

• Creating a stack - To be supported
    • Temporary workaround - Opt out of Beta or use a desktop / mobile client
  • Viewing notebook stacks - Supported in Notebook UI
  • Moving a note to a stack - Supported via notebook dropdown in the upper left corner of the edit note toolbar

Nancy 

No stacks yet? It's been months - it's killing me to have spent so much time learning and setting up Evernote, and now a key feature has suddenly disappeared and messed up all my organization.

Are we going to get stacks back, and if so, when?

It's presently unavailable on this version of the beta--all standard functionality, including stacks and Reminders, will be available in future iterations. Any feedback you have we'd love to get!

As suggested elsewhere by another user, this should be called an Alpha (in fact, pre-Alpha, since it isn't even feature complete yet)  Beta's are for public-ish bug fixes ... when I first saw the new version and the absence of my beloved stacks, I thought (given it's a beta) they'd be gone forever - or at least till the next version.  Glad to see that's not the case!

And I like so far where the design seems to be heading  :)

Gotta have stacks for sure -- draggable, droppable.  But what I'd really like to see are deeper stacks, stacks of stacks.  Like most file/folder views.  Any chance of that?

Doubtful. Plenty of discussion on the topic already on the message board.

It's presently unavailable on this version of the beta--all standard functionality, including stacks and Reminders, will be available in future iterations. Any feedback you have we'd love to get!

I'm with many other users: Please bring back stacks as soon as possible! I know betas take time (I've been involved with others, too), but I live by stacks ... and not being able to use them is wreaking my nicely organized Evernote ... Thanks!

as related to stacks, I often find it useful to "view all notes within a particular stack"

right now, clicking on a stack either collapses or uncollapses it.

it would be nice if clicking on the "arrow" does the collapsing and uncollapsing of the notebook stack.

clicking on the stack itself should reveal all the notes inside the stack (a feature i use both on Mac OS X and iOS all the time)

So not BETA - which "generally begins when the software is feature complete"

I might not have been too shocked at the missing features if it had been a bit clearer that you were A/B testing

As part of several beta testing communities for some companies considerably larger than Evernote, I have seen many betas where initial beta releases do not include all the features that will be present in the final product, or where features are included in incomplete form. These aren't public betas though, so things can be a bit rougher around the edges for hired/private beta testing. 

I think it depends a great deal on how the company coordinates its developers, and the scale of the product/release/update itself. There's no law of beta testing. That being said, beta release notes including a "known issues" section would help a great deal here and prevent a lot of users sounding-off about what are really non-issues (e.g., reminders being absent... they'll be back! But without "Known issues", how is any individual tester in a public beta supposed to know?)

• Level 5*

A release with new features in it and existing features coming later is a beast of a different nature. I've never seen a named beta release where features took a vacation. Don't know what to call that, other than its conference time and we need some splash (apologies for snarkiness). Without a buyer beware warning to set expectations as well. Could be done better IMO.

This is clearly a big rewrite, and as you suspect, probably aimed at the conference buzz, a firm deadline, so some features that weren't ready got left out, on the principle that "missing" is probably better than "completely hosed".

I probably would have called it a "preview" (sorta like the Win 10 Technical Preview, which I am installing at the moment) and made it clearer how to revert it.

• Level 5*

I might not have been too shocked at the missing features if it had been a bit clearer that you were A/B testing

"Generally" doesn't mean "always", and it's been the case for quite a while that "beta" doesn't mean "feature complete" for all companies, despite the original use of the word. That's even more acutely true for companies that employ methodologies that dictate frequent releases, such as Evernote has; you get new features out as soon as they're ready, and let actual users kick them around.

As best I can tell, for Evernote, "beta" generally just means "more to come". As does "Public".

A release with new features in it and existing features coming later is a beast of a different nature. I've never seen a named beta release where features took a vacation. Don't know what to call that, other than its conference time and we need some splash (apologies for snarkiness). Without a buyer beware warning to set expectations as well. Could be done better IMO.

• Level 5*

"Generally" doesn't mean "always", and it's been the case for quite a while that "beta" doesn't mean "feature complete" for all companies, despite the original use of the word. That's even more acutely true for companies that employ methodologies that dictate frequent releases, such as Evernote has; you get new features out as soon as they're ready, and let actual users kick them around.

As best I can tell, for Evernote, "beta" generally just means "more to come". As does "Public".

We'll aim to keep everyone abreast in our forums as we improve the new web beta. While I haven't looked at the near term roadmap, a good rule of thumb is to check after our regular web release on Wednesday evenings.

Archived