Security Question re. Login

Tom Doran

I may be dreaming, but I think my EN used to require a login after the app was Exited from (as opposed to simply closing the window).  Is the only way now to require a login with each subsequent session to sign out when terminated the program?  Thanks in advance.  

• Level 5*

When the app is Exited, you're required to log in again to access your notes - unless you have a password app like LastPass that is prepared to log in again automatically for you...

Running Windows version 5.6.4.4632.  File, Exit requires no login at next restart.  File, Sign Out does.

No problem, I just need to take a different path when exiting.  Odd though, because a File then Exit used to do the job.

• Level 5*

I slouch corrected.  And I've seen an explanation of why that is somewhere,  but haven't had enough coffee yet to find it.  I think it's a definite change and for a really good reason.  Need more coffee....

What is the security concern here? Do you have other people using your same computer user account? If so, this is a big security no-no for many other reasons aside from Evernote's persistent logged-in-ness (for example, your desktop email client's local database!).

Scott the security issue is that a pretty material feature (requiring a login after an File, Exit termination) was discontinued with no notice that I am aware of.  I have been File, Exiting to terminate EN at work for some time only to realize the login functionality had changed without my noticing it. The next person to simply fire up the app was free to roam.  That's a pretty material change in security I think.  

Scott the security issue is that a pretty material feature (requiring a login after an File, Exit termination) was discontinued with no notice that I am aware of.  I have been File, Exiting to terminate EN at work for some time only to realize the login functionality had changed without my noticing it. The next person to simply fire up the app was free to roam.  That's a pretty material change in security I think.  

That must be a windows-specific change, as the mac client has NEVER logged users out (at least not in the last 4 years). Change without notice is no good. 

That being said, I'd be wary of letting other people use your same Computer User account regardless of whether Evernote is password protected or not. Even if you log out of Evernote, your database is still on the hard drive and accessible to anyone else who has access to your computer user account. Logging out does not protect you from this (or other, similar snooping such as accessing your local email database from your email client). 

I'd highly recommend just making sure that on a shared computer you have your own, password protected user account that only you use, or if that is not possible, that you refrain from storing personal information locally and rely on web clients (that goes for email too...).

Thanks Scott.  My only real concern is our IT contractors / administrators who can access my work computer, password-protected or not.  As long as I log out when I'm done with EN I should be good to go.  

Yes I suppose that's really a constant concern when you are using centrally managed computers. There are a few other discussion about this on these forums and many people struggle with this, with Evernote and other services, so you are not alone!

That must be a windows-specific change, as the mac client has NEVER logged users out (at least not in the last 4 years). Change without notice is no good. 

Scott, you are mistaken.  I have been using Evernote on the Mac for the last 18 months and all during that time I have had to log into Evernote everytime after quitting the app.  No exceptions.  Every time.  Now that version 5.6 is out, I only logged in once.  Now every time I open the app, it just goes right in. No login required.  

Scott, you are mistaken.  I have been using Evernote on the Mac for the last 18 months and all during that time I have had to log into Evernote everytime after quitting the app.  No exceptions.  Every time.  Now that version 5.6 is out, I only logged in once.  Now every time I open the app, it just goes right in. No login required.

4 years of using it on the Mac and I've never had this experience with the application, so... I don't know that I am mistaken. There's likely some other reason we are having different experiences.

Archived