Web BETA Feature Requests

righteousdork

Idea

I saw that there was a new beta of the web client and was genuinely excited.  I use the Web client at work everyday and would agree that an update is definitely needed.  Modern web apps can do all kinds of cool stuff, and I was excited to see how much "whizzbangness" had been added to the beta.

:(    

I see what you're trying to do with the focus on writing.  That part looks good.  Maybe a little minimal for my tastes but I get the gist.  But almost everything else is concerning.  And this is coming from someone who LOVES Evernote.  I realize this is a beta and was totally prepared to make do with some things, but it's like 25% of the app was just completely left out.  So I'll start the list of things that I would like to see.

Feel free to add to the list

• Reminders
  • Saved Searches
  • Saved Searches in Shortcuts are also gone.
  • Nested Tags (Tag hierarchy)
  • Maybe less white space
  • Multi-select Notes
  • Search within the Notebook and Tag lists for fast access
  • A way to cancel/discard a newly created note without having to save and delete it.

• Notebook stacks visible from the notebook drop down menu in the note editor.

• Always present option to get back to the home view.

• Share icon design.

• Note list view

• Night mode / Color contrast options

• More Keyboard Shortcuts (if possible in a browser)

• Mouse-over on nav icons

• Option to toggle formatting bar so that it’s always present

• Note highlighting and annotation

• Share notes via email

• Ability to open multiple notes (open in new window)

• No resizing

• Delay

• Text at the end of the screen during note creation

• Text formatting requires too many clicks

• Reminder set ends when you click the date.  Done button.

• While in search mode, search terms take up too much space

• Page breaks

• Pasting images from clipboard

• Information density

• Update time in Note Info

Please keep in mind that this is posted with love from a user who has been here since 2008.  Premium since 2009.

UPDATE:

I will try to keep the list up to date with suggestions and ideas from others. 

As I read through all these requests (and try the beta) I see what people mean about "a focus on writing." Please, please, PLEASE(!!) do not turn evernote into an app that only works for writers (What most writers need to learn is that they don't need an app for it...a text editor will do just fine). 

Evernote has to be useful for programmers and managers, too (or I think you're going to lose a large chunk of customers). We work on a lot of small tasks at the same time (not one big chapter, article or book). We're motivated by sorting/logic, not necessarily look and feel. We like to break things into smaller parts and move them around (rather than keep all our notes in narrative flow in one document). If you turn this into a program that focuses on one big document that you might classify from time to time, rather than a system that makes classification easy and lets you see many "documents" (notes) at once, it won't work for people like us. 

I hope that helps shape the next beta release. 

As I read through all these requests (and try the beta) I see what people mean about "a focus on writing." Please, please, PLEASE(!!) do not turn evernote into an app that only works for writers (What most writers need to learn is that they don't need an app for it...a text editor will do just fine). 

Evernote has to be useful for programmers and managers, too (or I think you're going to lose a large chunk of customers). We work on a lot of small tasks at the same time (not one big chapter, article or book). We're motivated by sorting/logic, not necessarily look and feel. We like to break things into smaller parts and move them around (rather than keep all our notes in narrative flow in one document). If you turn this into a program that focuses on one big document that you might classify from time to time, rather than a system that makes classification easy and lets you see many "documents" (notes) at once, it won't work for people like us. 

I hope that helps shape the next beta release. 

You would be wise to do some lab-based UI/UX testing with groups of writers v. programmers v. managers (enough of each to see how those types of users use the software differently. 

Hi,

I have a feature request:

Long titles should wrap both in the list (left column) and note preview (right column).

Right now, they don't wrap in either. This is annoying for me. The title doesn't even wrap when I expand the note (top right button).

Cheers,

MwP

I wholeheartedly agree. The current web beta allows for five or six words in a title at most. There are a number of use cases for longer titles. I like some aspects of the web beta but without wrapping titles it's useless to me -- just a pretty interface with no practical value.

Hello everyone, 

We now support viewing hierarchical tags and making tags shortcuts. We will add creation of tag hierarchies in a later release. Until then, please continue to use the old client if you wish to create these new relationships. See here for more details: 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/87022-web-client-beta-release-7282015-view-hierarchical-tags-bug-fixes-for-date-format/ 

I like it aesthetically, and like how I can totally focus on writing in the full browser screen.

But we really do need:

• Fix the bug of loosing the curser and bottom row or two a note you are working on.

• Share via Email
  • Night mode (ability to reverse to white text on black background for reading in di lighting)

• Easy ability to do private linking to other notes in our account

• Quick Public Posting option

• A master overview option where extensive customizable info is displayed and routine actions can be triggered by one click.
  • Integrate with Slack

Thanks!

I like it aesthetically, and like how I can totally focus on writing in the full browser screen.

But we really do need:

• Fix the bug of loosing the curser and bottom row or two a note you are working on.

• Share via Email
  • Night mode (ability to reverse to white text on black background for reading in di lighting)

• Easy ability to do private linking to other notes in our account

• Quick Public Posting option

• A master overview option where extensive customizable info is displayed and routine actions can be triggered by one click.
  • Integrate with Slack

Thanks!

Hello, you can find the "Share via Email" feature by clicking on little chevron icon next to the "Share" button in a note. In that you will see an option called "Email". This is the share via email feature that has always been in the product.  For quick public posting, you can do this in the same menu by choosing "Link". This will create a public link. - Nancy

I really hope you'll be bringing multi-select notes back. I did some general reorganising of my notes lately, so moved several at a time to different notebooks, or added tags to them. I had to do that the in the old interface. It would be impossible in the Beta, or at least, it would have taken about a week!. Even there it was time consuming, since I had to Ctrl and click each one individually. Having the Shift and click to select several contiguous notes would be great. So would an Edit button that shows up tick boxes beside each note. Loads of sites have that functionality. And a select all button would be excellent, to select all the notes shown in the list at the time, whether that's all notes in a notebook, a tag or a search.

I'm trying the beta again after disliking it last time. It is better than before. The glare of white and lack of contrast is still annoying though. It's slightly better than before, but it's really hard to see grey lines and text on bright white. I've nothing against the "flat design" aesthetic. I just don't know why it has to also mean turning everything into a grey mist. At the moment I'm not minding the way the whole UI is rather more like the App version, because I'm working on quite a small screen for a few weeks. I'll see how I feel about it once I'm back to a big screen. Then I might find it a pain to have to keep unhiding menus and naviagation to get at stuff.

Oh and one thing I've noticed more with using a small screen - how enormous the header at the top of the list of the notes in a Notebook view is. Why can't it just be a similar size to the one in the App? You could get al the words that are on it into a much smaller space. Showing me who it's created by is a waste of space for me. I'm the only one who can create notebooks on my account. So showing that or not could be an option people can pick. Could "Share" not be under the Info for the notebook? It's not something you're likely to use every time you open that notebook. In fact I'd think most people who share notebooks would only use it once to add people. So why so prominent? 

And I still really want an Archive, so anything I put in there doesn't show up in searches or All Notes or anywhere else unless I specify that it the archive should be included. It's a no brainer to me, an archive. When projects are completed, I want them out of my face, but still accessible if I need to go back and check that information again.

Anyway, it's improving, but still has some defects.

I think I've covered the font being really big in places like the Search results.  It's ginormous!

I've added a request that affects me personally.  

It's the one thing I can't do in the web client and there isn't a workaround: 

Being able to edit the Created and Updated dates on a note

I have a small feature request regarding the reminders. (Hope I'm not repeating anyone!)

A 24-hour option would be nice. I know you can type in the 24-hour equivalent, but that doesn't appear to effect the AM/PM toggle; i.e., you can type 19:59, but it will just read that as 07:59 AM instead of 07:59 PM. I hate having to manaually change AM/PM. Honestly, I hate using 12-hour time in general.

Seriously, why is there no highlighting on the web version.  Also, I like the minimal formatting view for focus, but when I want to polish some stuff it, it would be great to be able to pin it open.

Highlighting is still not supported in the web client as per this official answer. I use the Alternote Editor mainly because it has highlighting and image re-sizing (workaround if you're a Chrome extension user).

I really like the web version better than the desktop client (Mac or Windows) because it's super fast and lean. I love how big the font is when you search. Being able to slide the list view out of the way to write notes is fantastic. I just have one favor to ask. I send all my new notes to an Inbox notebook to be sorted when I get to Evernote. But sorting is not the easiest in the Web version, because as soon as I change the notebook on a given note, I am somehow moved into that notebook and have to go back to the Inbox notebook to continue my sorting. That's a lot of work as I generate a bunch of notes per week. Can the folder you're in stay stable even if you move the currently selected note to another notebook? I don't want to be bounced around. Thanks!

--Evernote Premium user since 2011

I really like the web version better than the desktop client (Mac or Windows) because it's super fast and lean. I love how big the font is when you search. Being able to slide the list view out of the way to write notes is fantastic. I just have one favor to ask. I send all my new notes to an Inbox notebook to be sorted when I get to Evernote. But sorting is not the easiest in the Web version, because as soon as I change the notebook on a given note, I am somehow moved into that notebook and have to go back to the Inbox notebook to continue my sorting. That's a lot of work as I generate a bunch of notes per week. Can the folder you're in stay stable even if you move the currently selected note to another notebook? I don't want to be bounced around. Thanks!

Hello, we will be changing this flow in an upcoming release. Sorry for the inconvenience!  Please look out for our announcement when it releases. - Nancy 

I would also echo righteousdork in requesting the ability to edit the created and updated dates for notes through the web client.  Editing these times helps sort notes into the correct real-world time-order.

It was always strange to me that this was missing from the previous web version.  I use Evernote entirely through the web client and Android app, and neither provide a way to edit these dates.  On occasion I've been forced to install the Windows application in VirtualBox (I'm a Linux user) just to edit some note creation dates!?!

Thanks for the update, it works great! 

Hello, we will be changing this flow in an upcoming release. Sorry for the inconvenience!  Please look out for our announcement when it releases. - Nancy 

Can anyone from evernote tell us when the following long requested features will be implemented?

• Multi-select Notes
  • Merge notes

It seems that no one has taken it seriously since the beta. It's almost one year already. I am quite disappointed.

Yes.

There appears to be no schedule for things being implemented unfortunately, or maybe there is, or maybe it just gets changed now and again.  Who knows? Businesses are black boxes a lot of the time...

It is frustrating, especially as there are some improvements which may actually never be made. You often just have no idea.

That is the way of things...Google...Evernote...they ask for feedback and sometimes react and sometimes don't.   :)

Can anyone from evernote tell us when the following long requested features will be implemented?

• Multi-select Notes
  • Merge notes

It seems that no one has taken it seriously since the beta. It's almost one year already. I am quite disappointed.

Hello!

As mentioned in previous posts (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88372-web-client-releases-992015-minor-bug-fixes/), we are currently working on these bigger asks, but it will take us a longer time to implement.  Multi-select notes and creating nested tags are next on our list and will be available in a future release. ;) 

Nancy 

• Level 5

Hello!

As mentioned in previous posts (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88372-web-client-releases-992015-minor-bug-fixes/), we are currently working on these bigger asks, but it will take us a longer time to implement.  Multi-select notes and creating nested tags are next on our list and will be available in a future release. ;)

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

As reported by me and several other users note links are not working under Linux. Is there any development on this? I think especially under Linux the Web version is especially important because there is no other client available.

• Level 5

Hello!

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

As reported by me and several other users note links are not working under Linux. Is there any development on this? I think especially under Linux the Web version is especially importent because there is no other client available.

Using Evernote to implement GTD means a note can be a to-do item. For those notes having a table-like interface, look the old version, would be more more efficient. 

Also, seeing the tags associated to a note is more useful than seeing the date. 

Thanks,

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, schultzter said:

The other thing I would really need from the old version in order to continue using Evernote for GTD is the ability to select multiple tags and only show those notes with both of those tags.

Its a nice feature, but why are you dependent on this to continue using Evernote for GTD?
You can specify multiple tags in a search and save the search for later use.

Archived