Advanced search - "nested" search

Hi,

I was wondering if the below is possible, and if not, would like to suggest it as a feature request.

I'm setting up Evernote as a task tracker and I'm using a notebook "Actions Pending", context tags like "Work" and "Home", and priority tags like "Now", "Next" and "Soon". What I would like to do is create a search like below (and I know AND and OR are not :

notebook:"Actions Pending" AND tag:Work AND (tag:Now OR tag:Next).

This would result in all work related actions with priorities "Now" or "Next".

I could not find a way to do this, as the any: operator apparently works on all terms in the search query. I would expect that the any: operator only works on those terms that follow it, but apparently not.

I suppose what would also work is allowing to search within a saved search (like you can search within a notebook), i.e. a "nested" search. But I couldn't find a way to do this either.

Any insight? Cheers!

Marc

• Level 5*

Only way I could see to do it would be to precede Now and Next with something, say !, and thew do a search of tag:work and tag:!*.  Of course you couldn't have any other ! tags in notes with the tag work for it to be effective.  The OR operator doesn't exist, AFAIK.  

Only way I could see to do it would be to precede Now and Next with something, say !, and thew do a search of tag:work and tag:!*.  Of course you couldn't have any other ! tags in notes with the tag work for it to be effective.  The OR operator doesn't exist, AFAIK.

"Or" operator exists. But you cannot combine "and" with "or".

• Level 5*

"Or" operator exists. But you cannot combine "and" with "or".

Thanks for the correction, I know that and should have been more specific in my wording.  My only excuse, I guess, is I think of it as more of an ANY operator due to the lack of boolean usage.   :)

• Level 5*

Hi,

I was wondering if the below is possible, and if not, would like to suggest it as a feature request.

I'm setting up Evernote as a task tracker and I'm using a notebook "Actions Pending", context tags like "Work" and "Home", and priority tags like "Now", "Next" and "Soon". What I would like to do is create a search like below (and I know AND and OR are not :

notebook:"Actions Pending" AND tag:Work AND (tag:Now OR tag:Next).

This would result in all work related actions with priorities "Now" or "Next".

I could not find a way to do this, as the any: operator apparently works on all terms in the search query. I would expect that the any: operator only works on those terms that follow it, but apparently not.

I suppose what would also work is allowing to search within a saved search (like you can search within a notebook), i.e. a "nested" search. But I couldn't find a way to do this either.

Any insight? Cheers!

Marc

I think what you are asking for is a full Boolean search in Evernote.  We have been requesting this for years, but Evernote has failed to respond, other than to say that they think it is "too complicated" for most users.  I strongly disagree with that.

See:

• Level 5*

I think what you are asking for is a full Boolean search in Evernote.  We have been requesting this for years, but Evernote has failed to respond, other than to say that they think it is "too complicated" for most users.  I strongly disagree with that.

See:

Reference for this quote "too complicated" for users?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived