(Archived) Sync failure: unexpected transfer error???

andycg

Idea

Hi there I just noticed on my Mac, running Leopard 10.6.1 a red exclamation point. I have this window pop up.

Is the problem on my end or Evernote?

Can I fix it? How do I do the fix?

Synchronization failed because of an unexpected data transfer error with the Evernote servers. If the problem persists, please contact Evernote techincal support.

post-17074-131906064346_thumb.png

14 replies to this idea

I'm having the same problem, running v 1.4.9 on Mac OS 10.5.8. I actually did have a Premium account but downgraded until I find out if this can be fixed. I've now emailed support twice with no response. I don't want to continue entering data if I'm going to have to switch to other software. B)

I'm having the same problem, running v 1.4.9 on Mac OS 10.5.8. I actually did have a Premium account but downgraded until I find out if this can be fixed. I've now emailed support twice with no response. I don't want to continue entering data if I'm going to have to switch to other software. B)

If you indeed did have a Premium account and used the proper avenue for submitting a support request (http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/#inquiry - you can get there by initially going to the "support" link on the main page & following the directions), the turn around time is "next business day" responses from their [North American offices.] (As stated at the bottom of the support page.)

NOTE: when you downgrade/cancel your Premium account, you remain Premium until the end of the period you're paid up through.

B) I found this solution - quoted below. It seems to be working perfectly. Evernote is in the process of syncing my notes - I'm at about 20% after about 15 minutes.

Suggestion to Evernote You really should have a "Troubleshooting - Do this to fix this common error" section with solutions to common errors clearly listed. Seems it would save frustration on the part of users, prevent user loss due to frustration, increase your revenue because of customer satisfaction, and reduce demands on support.

Evernote 2009-10-05

Re: Sync problems

by engberg on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:56 am

drtcollins -

If you don't have any important notes that have not been synchronized to the service*, you can try the following:

Please try moving your Evernote database directory so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

Quit Evernote.

In the finder, open the "Library" folder in your home directory. (This is in the directory with your name, NOT at the top level of your hard drive.)

Navigate to "Application Support"

Move the "Evernote" directory from that location to a different place (like the desktop)

Start Evernote, provide your username and password again if needed

This will synchronize all of your notes from the service and create a new local database.

*If you do have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

Suggestion to Evernote You really should have a "Troubleshooting - Do this to fix this common error" section with solutions to common errors clearly listed. Seems it would save frustration on the part of users, prevent user loss due to frustration, increase your revenue because of customer satisfaction, and reduce demands on support.

They do. If you click the link to "support" (at the bottom of many/most of the pages, including the main page), there are links to help for specific versions of EN as well as a link to click that takes you to the FAQ, searchable user forum, searchable knowledge base and the support inquiry form. There's even a link to a FAQ at the top of the message board pages.

They do. If you click the link to "support" (at the bottom of many/most of the pages, including the main page), there are links to help for specific versions of EN as well as a link to click that takes you to the FAQ, searchable user forum, searchable knowledge base and the support inquiry form. There's even a link to a FAQ at the top of the message board pages.

True. I know this; however, it doesn't have to be that complicated or time-consuming. Why couldn't there just be a link - by Evernote - to common error messages and how to quickly troubleshoot and resolve the issue. The burden should not be on the purchaser or user of software to hunt for fixes to common errors made by our software. I am referring to troubleshooting for specific errors - not general "how to's." This would ease consumer frustration - and, I think, increase the bottom line. Imagine having users write glowing reports about how easy it is to resolve a software issue! I do have this complaint about most software and hardware manufacturers. :D

It's hardly complicated & time consuming. Given that fixing problems entails knowing what device you're using, what OS you're using, what software version, it would be one hot mess if they tried to put it all together. Then people would complain that it was too difficult to find the correct info. The EN support page is presented in an organized fashion & very well done.

This is a chronic problem on the MAC. 3 times in 3 months. I never see this problem on the Windows platform. Clearly something gets corrupt in the database. It does seem to be linked with clipping web pages from Firefox using the Evernote clipper. This should be fixable without reloading the database which is what I figured to do and I see that the "tech help" is now recommending. Unexceptable!!! I said it a few times before to the tech people, create a tool that fixes database errors. Not a hard thing to do at all. This is a common problem with databases and especially with EN's Mac app. So far, I have not lost any data. But this MUST BE FIXED!!!

Haven't got a fix for this problem, but do have a simple work around, that avoids deleting your database etc, and is based on the tendency for it to occur for notes clipped from Firefox on Mac.

Find the un-sync'd note in your notes list, right click it, select "email note", and type in your evernote email address. Click Send.

The note has been sent directly to your database on the main server. You can now delete the local, unsync'd note.

Re-sync Evernote, and the note you just emailed will appear.

Voila!

Chris

- Switch to 'Note List' view

- Sort by the 'Sync' column and export any notes that have a • symbol in that column to .enex format

- Once export is complete, move those notes to the trash in Evernote and empty the trash

- Then perform a sync operation and it should work properly

- Once you've synced again successfully, reimport the notes you just exported, then sync again

I get the Synchronization failed because of an unexpected data transfer error with the Evernote servers error when I sync, even though the sync seems to work (i.e., in Note List, everything is listed as synced and I can make note links and so forth). I've tried emptying the trash and resyncing several times to no avail.

here are the last lines of my activity log after syncing:

2012-10-08 19:43:03 sync [ENSyncEngine] DEBUG: note count: 28

2012-10-08 19:43:03 sync [ENSyncEngine] DEBUG: resources count: 80

2012-10-08 19:43:03 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Syncing tags...

2012-10-08 19:43:03 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: 0 tags to process

2012-10-08 19:43:04 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Syncing notes and resources...

2012-10-08 19:43:04 main [ENSyncEngine] ERROR: Could not create note 'Evernote Note Deletion Confirmation' [6850b97f-28c8-49f5-af71-eedb9c3571f2]. Notebook GUID [30f6ba6a-da34-4a5c-9f13-4ce813f84af4] does not exist.

2012-10-08 19:43:04 sync [ENSyncEngine] ERROR: failed to add note with guid: 6850b97f-28c8-49f5-af71-eedb9c3571f2

2012-10-08 19:43:04 sync [ENSyncEngine] DEBUG: FAIL

2012-10-08 19:43:04 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sync complete.

I don't have a note called "Evernote Note Deletion Confirmation," so I have no idea what to make of this.

help?

Archived