REQUEST: Password for Desktop Version and Color Scheme

Fumo

Idea

If this is the wrong place for this, I apologize.  Okay: Why is there no option to have a password for the desktop version?  This seems like an incredibly easy and sensible option to NOT have, and it deters me from wanting to get premium, since it would only secure the app on my phone.  Why would I pay for half a service? 

On a completely different note, I noticed that there is a new color scheme that uses a more blue-ish green on some screens and parts of the website, but not others.  I liked the other green, as it was easier to see agaist the white and more vibrant, but why make a change that isn't even consistant?  This is another decision that doesn't make much sense to me.

• Thanks 4

73 replies to this idea

Does Evernote Business have a password option? If not, I think the situation is clear: it does not matter who Evernote is "aimed at" because people need the flexibility to use it in different ways. This is not some sort of boutique app. Thus, it is just silly that Evernote would not have something as simple as the OPTION to secure BOTH versions of the app with the most BASIC form of security in the IT world: a password.

• Like 1

This is short sighted.   I can boot ANY windows PC when the owner is away to lunch with a Boot DVD like Hiren, Ultimate BootCD, and many more, get past the login password for windows TRIVIALLY, and then I would have access to ALL the notes on that person's EverNote account.   I find this unacceptable and just plain amateur.   It's no different from saying that you should not need a login for your Banking app, since "If locking the device doesn't protect the contents,  another password won't help."    Um, Sorry.  Plain WRONG.

I was seriously considering buying EverNote to use at my company for HR notes, Payroll notes, Confidential project notes, etc.   All serious information that needs to be protected just like banking info.

Are the people in control of EverNote really this naive?

I guess I will have to keep looking for a similar product that takes the security of user data seriously.

Neal

Hi,

Please evernote can you add a password/code function to the desktop version? 

I love and use evernote daily. I'd be lost without it in fact. I use it for many things, this includes sensitive information that I wouldn't want work or family or friends to see. Passwords and such. Quite often my laptop may be borrowed to work purposes to use a program or fix something, or leisure for friends to watch a film on the weekend. I can easily sign out of other private accounts such as my work logins, hotmail or facebook, but my only worry when I'm handing my laptop over to be borrowed is that others can look in my evernote if they wanted to. This gives me anxiety. 

My only option is not to store this sensitive info in there but this is very annoying as the adding unnecessary complexity to the way I store things - need multiple apps etc

It's a basic add on to do an optional password on the desktop version. - Or please add function to password protect notes would be very helpful.

Please add this feature.

Thanks.

Another point is that all of your Evernote files are on the file system. So even if you could lock someone out of the Evernote program with a password, they can still get to the content of your account. That's a bit out of Evernote's hands.

• Like 1

I've really been looking forward to this feature as well. As I see the need to have more and more information on evernote, I think having a password/pin for the desktop is key as well. You've even added things like 2 factor authentication on the websites, so why not invest a bit more on security on laptops/desktops? Sounds like the weakest link.

On 6/6/2015 at 9:20 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  If someone else has your laptop and your login,  you gave away your privacy already.  Laptops have privacy built in,  in different user accounts.  Evernote has security controls already in its user name and password login.  If you're handing over your laptop,  create a guest account so someone else can log in without using your software - and log out of Evernote so no-one has access.  (Although if someone has your computer and a little computer knowledge they can still access your notes...  and your work IT will have no problem at all.)

responding to this post. You approach isn't very practical for personal use. There are often multiple people in a household and you may not mind sharing everything else on your laptop. If you think evernote has a limited use case and client set, then it's a whole different argument, but I don't think this makes sense either from a practical stand point.

I think the benefits of adding a feature like this largely outweighs the cost.

My office has RDP and I connect into it to my PC via a secure SSH tunnel (no passwords; keys only). I am happy with that. I need a very strong password to prevent evil doers from getting into Evernote - VIA EVERNOTE! So the password is long/strong etc. I want some security - but not the same as the Evernote password. 90% of the people in the office have a password ending in 1. I don't care about people getting onto my machine - I care about them leering into my personal business. That is where the alternative password comes into play. None of them are capable of hacking my data nor would any IT we deal with. Period. A simpler password would be enough to dissuade - but who cares - let me be the judge of how secure or insecure my data is.

Anyways, we are all pushing rope - Evernote won't do it (5+ years and counting); you gurus have an answer to justify how it is currently working; and Evernote won't get my money. Everyone is happy. Thank you.

belly

• Level 5*
On 5/28/2018 at 12:56 AM, fxsimba said:

and they don't seem to see a need for it on the PC 

Please show your support for this request using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.  

This request currently only has 5 votes from the user population.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, fxsimba said:

All the GURUS keep saying that there is no need for a password; simply logout of you Windows terminal. Then WTF did evernote introduce a passcode for mobile app? shouldn't the argument be the same - lock your mobile device so no one can get into your apps? They saw a need for it there, and they don't seem to see a need for it on the PC .... doesn't make sense.

No because no mobile OS that I know of lets you create different login profiles.

So if you share a computer you may create additional login profiles for every user, but if you share your phone with someone else you can't.

But sure, an extra layer of security would always be nice.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, fxsimba said:

you gurus keep saying its a waste of valuable resources for the evernote team to work on a passlock feature for the desktop app. We the USERS, are putting up a justifiable, and user-friendly reason as to why we need the passlocks on the desktop app. Not every household or work places are "hackers" who can break into your database even though you have a passlock to prevent them gaining access through the APP. Ofcourse if it needed to be hacked, it will be. But in the meantime, we are requesting a lock that can make accessing the APP quick and easy - none of the sign in/out or log in/out.

isnt that what "feedback" is for especially from EVERYDAY users?

Let me stop you right there. Do not put words in my mouth ("you gurus keep saying"). Gurus are individuals; they become "gurus" solely on the basis of post count, and anyone can become one, you included. We are not Evernote employees, we are in fact "we the USERS", just like you. We make suggestions, report bugs, try to help other users, all of that, including having differing opinions on many Evernote related issues. We use Evernote every day: we epitomize "EVERYDAY users." Please stop generalizing about "you gurus"; it's meaningless. So anyways, you have a way to sign out of Evernote, sure, maybe it could be easier to sign back in and maybe it will be eventually. But you insist on making some weird big deal about "gurus" and WTF'ing and tossing in the mobile platform and other non-related stuff. Stick to the facts, if you want to make a persuasive case.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 5/28/2018 at 2:56 AM, fxsimba said:

Then WTF did evernote introduce a passcode for mobile app?

Probably should ask EN that question.  Seems a tempest in a teapot to me when one has full device lock down available with WinKey+L for the PC and thumbprint for the phone.  Use case thing I suppose, but I don't need two levels of security for EN data.  If this function is ever added I hope it is optional. 

User friendly debate point as I would as soon EN invested their resources in fixing the freaking editor across all platforms.  That I feel every day.  If I had a vote...

• Like 2
On 6/5/2015 at 8:12 AM, carlash said:

Hi,

I love and use evernote daily. I'd be lost without it in fact. I use it for many things, this includes sensitive information that I wouldn't want work or family or friends to see. Passwords and such. Quite often my laptop may be borrowed to work purposes to use a program or fix something, or leisure for friends to watch a film on the weekend. I can easily sign out of other private accounts such as my work logins, hotmail or facebook, but my only worry when I'm handing my laptop over to be borrowed is that others can look in my evernote if they wanted to. This gives me anxiety. 

My only option is not to store this sensitive info in there but this is very annoying as the adding unnecessary complexity to the way I store things - need multiple apps etc

It's a basic add on to do an optional password on the desktop version. - Or please add function to password protect notes would be very helpful.

Please add this feature.

Thanks.

When loaning out your computer, if you sign out of your Evernote account you should be fine. If you have a strong password I doubt that unless they were seriously trying to hack your system while borrowing it, that they could get in. As for passwords in a note, you can select the text and encrypt the contents. I do that with mine. I like you, use Evernote every day and would be lost without it. I would love to be able to have a locking feature for a while note that has more than text in it, but for now, I just sign out of Evernote if I need that extra security.

Make sure that you upvote using the feature at the top of threads if you are in one that addresses this issue. It's the best way to show the company that the feature should be considered.

I have seen people fighting with you for over 8 years over a lock password on the desktop version. I am a software developer and use Evernote to store my knowledge base (like code and notes). I don't keep passwords or sensitive information. However, I miss a blocking PIN very much.

Even if they say "Data is not encrypted", we need this for a first level lock. It doesn't have to be something out of this world, just a local lock ... The PIN does not have to be available on your server, it may just be local encryption.

What if I forget to lock my computer? Couldn't Evernote give me a minimum of data security?

What if I'm sick and need to pass my computer access to someone else? This may not be necessary in large companies, but in the small majority it happens a lot.

So, I beg, just a PIN, just an instant lock.

• Level 5*

There are previous discussions on this,  but desktops and laptops already have security built in and so far Evernote haven't seen the need to reinvent the wheel and add another layer for that specific app.  If locking the device doesn't protect the contents,  another password won't help.

Can't help you with colour schemes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote desktop versions are aimed at small groups where enterprise security isn't (usually) an issue.

Didn't say you don't need security for your banking app,  but I'd bet you don't use it for your documents,  speadsheets and emails,  which are all similarly exposed to anyone with more than a few minutes hands-on time with any computer.  I tend to encrypt confidential material,  and keep some stuff - particularly banking - in a Local (unsynced and unshared) notebook on one machine.  If necessary it could be kept in an encrypted partition.  HR software has,  in my limited experience,  its own banking-style logins for security purposes.

If you need more security you might want to have a look at Evernote Business which has levels of security baked in. 

• Level 5*

This is short sighted.   I can boot ANY windows PC when the owner is away to lunch with a Boot DVD like Hiren, Ultimate BootCD, and many more, get past the login password for windows TRIVIALLY, and then I would have access to ALL the notes on that person's EverNote account.   I find this unacceptable and just plain amateur.   It's no different from saying that you should not need a login for your Banking app, since "If locking the device doesn't protect the contents,  another password won't help."    Um, Sorry.  Plain WRONG.

I was seriously considering buying EverNote to use at my company for HR notes, Payroll notes, Confidential project notes, etc.   All serious information that needs to be protected just like banking info.

I guess I will have to keep looking for a similar product that takes the security of user data seriously.

Neal

There *is* a password for the Windows version. You need to sign in before you can use an account. Of course, if you can't be bothered to sign out first...

Neal

It's not only about logging into the OS, anyone with a basic IT skill set (and a screwdriver) can access a hard drive. But again, Evernote leaves the security up to the computer owner. One can elect to place one's EN database in an encrypted container...or not. As has been mentioned security has already been discussed at great length on the message board. Please search the board on the topic, if you are so inclined. Good luck with finding an app that suits your needs.

Neal

There *is* a password for the Windows version. You need to sign in before you can use an account. Of course, if you can't be bothered to sign out first...

That's simple enough. As you say, just sign out! Duh.

Neal.

If you are genuinely concerned for the possibility of someone "when the owner is away to lunch with a Boot DVD like Hiren, Ultimate BootCD" accessing your machine, whole-disk encryption is the answer. It is available in Windows versions above Professional. Then only the NSA will be able to break in.

Hi,

Please add this feature.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi,

Please add this feature.

Thanks.

Hi.  If someone else has your laptop and your login,  you gave away your privacy already.  Laptops have privacy built in,  in different user accounts.  Evernote has security controls already in its user name and password login.  If you're handing over your laptop,  create a guest account so someone else can log in without using your software - and log out of Evernote so no-one has access.  (Although if someone has your computer and a little computer knowledge they can still access your notes...  and your work IT will have no problem at all.)

• Like 1

Neal

It is Evernote with a lowercase "n"

• Level 5*

I don't believe there are any 'benefits' to having a locked Evernote when the rest of the device is open to other users.  Any locked app still exists as files on the hard drive,  and if a user has access to other apps and to the internet,  then the means would exist to access the data.  Provided you keep your Evernote user name and password secret and File > Exit the app between uses,  no-one else can easily access the content.  You could take it one step further and use something like Saferoom to encrypt your data.  I prefer to use a personal login to access Windows,  and leave my family members to have their own access to their own profiles,  which they can develop as they wish.  That at least means I don't have to log back into Evernote whenever I want to clip a web page.  Still - it's up to Evernote to research whether this option would be generally attractive to customers and (maybe) include it in a future version.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, kn04 said:

You approach isn't very practical for personal use. There are often multiple people in a household and you may not mind sharing everything else on your laptop.

Depending upon the OS each person can have their own user name and password and if they aren't admins won't be able to see your EN files, assuming you are the admin.

• Like 2

This seems to ongoing...

I use my evernote at work. Others use my works laptop occasionally when I'm out if they need to find a customers information ect. My evernote has my world in it including personal stuff. All I needed was the simple four number passcode to get in and out just to stop prying eyes when I'm not about rather than logging out every time. I have resorted to uninstalling it and using the web version when I need to. It's annoying but necessary. If the simple passlock like the mobile version was added this would be a solution. Its not like its forced upon everyone, this should be an option you can implement if required. Come on Evernote team. Sort it please !

So I have a use-case that I would like to throw in here, which would justify adding the extra layer of security:

I use Evernote at work. On my work desktop. The IT at work have full control over our log-in password and even if I change it, they can easily reset it and log in. I would like to protect myself from that scenario. Furthermore - and this is another reason - because I use some heavy-duty programs that take 15 to 30 minutes to fully boot-up and load all the info from the cloud, I very rarely log out. No issue normally, but Evernote has my life pretty much laid out for anybody to very conveniently see. I do believe that a password/ pin on the desktop client would be worthwhile for many people - I cannot imagine it being difficult to implement, and it wouldn't annoy anybody if it was just an option. 

Gazumped, I don't know if you work for Evernote, but you seem to be very against this idea. If you can think of some solution to this issue, please let me know. That said, I believe the responsible thing would be to err on having too much security rather than letting stuff like this slip through cracks...

• Level 5*
On 19/07/2016 at 0:44 AM, Mr.DanP said:

So I have a use-case that I would like to throw in here, which would justify adding the extra layer of security:

I use Evernote at work. On my work desktop. The IT at work have full control over our log-in password and even if I change it, they can easily reset it and log in. I would like to protect myself from that scenario. Furthermore - and this is another reason - because I use some heavy-duty programs that take 15 to 30 minutes to fully boot-up and load all the info from the cloud, I very rarely log out. No issue normally, but Evernote has my life pretty much laid out for anybody to very conveniently see. I do believe that a password/ pin on the desktop client would be worthwhile for many people - I cannot imagine it being difficult to implement, and it wouldn't annoy anybody if it was just an option. 

Gazumped, I don't know if you work for Evernote, but you seem to be very against this idea. If you can think of some solution to this issue, please let me know. That said, I believe the responsible thing would be to err on having too much security rather than letting stuff like this slip through cracks...

On occasion I think it would be useful for Evernote to list the 1,000 or so features that users have requested in order of their priority - in terms of how many users thought this was a good idea,  and how many of the 200M or so current users are expected to use it.  Anyone coming up with a new feature - or as in this case repeating an old request - could be invited to put forward their arguments for 1) why is your feature more important than any of these and 2) how many users will find it useful?

I'm actually not against this idea as such - I just wouldn't use it if the feature were available.  And FYI - even with the Evernote app 'locked',  Evernote's database is a plain-language custom SQLite setup.  If your IT department wanted to read your database out side of Evernote,  they could do so without too much trouble.  Far better to use the web version for personal information,  or to encrypt your content as recommended already in this thread.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Evernote doesn't seem at all bothered with security - on pretty much all fronts (hey, at least a password is required to log in, and other trivial tidbits). In my mind, your argument is akin to saying "Why bother putting fire extinguishers in a building? Thousands of people go in and out of the building, and nobody uses it. I wouldn't be opposed to it - I just wouldn't use it if the feature were available. Sure, someone might use it, but most people won't." I believe that in order to be responsible with such a service (that has someone's whole life easily visible, potentially), security should come first, regardless of how many people ask for it. 

I understand that it's a philosophy thing, though, and possibly other interests at play, too. Wish there were a different service comparable to Evernote, but you guys are just too good at the things that you do well.

• Level 5*
On July 18, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Mr.DanP said:

I do believe that a password/ pin on the desktop client would be worthwhile for many people - I cannot imagine it being difficult to implement, and it wouldn't annoy anybody if it was just an option. 

23 minutes ago, Mr.DanP said:

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Evernote doesn't seem at all bothered with security - on pretty much all fronts (hey, at least a password is required to log in). 

Your postings seem confused.  Is there userid/password security on Evernote account data?  I know I have it on the Mac/IOS/Web platforms. I simply log out of my EN account at the end of my session.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Your postings seem confused.  Is there userid/password security on Evernote account data?  I know I have it on the Mac/IOS/Web platforms. I simply log out of my EN account at the end of my session.

They are not. With the second posting you quoted, I meant tongue-in cheek that at least the Evernote account itself requires a password to go along with the username. As in, considering how little data protection there is, at least you guys provide this totally ubiquitous feature. The Pin request, and for that matter - notebook locking, encryption, etc -> data protection still stand...

I find it hard to believe that this still has not been implemented on desktop. As Mr.DanP said, it's not hard and wouldn't annoy anyone. So why not! I've been paying for premium for years, but I'm starting to consider switching almost entirely because of this.

• Level 5*
On 21/10/2016 at 5:32 AM, sewnusual said:

I find it hard to believe that this still has not been implemented on desktop. As Mr.DanP said, it's not hard and wouldn't annoy anyone. So why not! I've been paying for premium for years, but I'm starting to consider switching almost entirely because of this.

Hi.  What's the problem with using the standard security built into the desktop?  Why reinvent the wheel specifically for Evernote when no other Office product has a similar protection?

"Guru" is amazingly short-sighted, and the Evernote team is clearly NOT open-minded to hearing about secure software development process, since that takes more work.   But, to answer your questions Guru;  "What's the problem with using the standard security built into the desktop?"  ??

Well, for one, my original post at the top answered this;  While in a meeting, away for lunch, or out of the office, ANYONE can reboot the PC with a simple and widely available free tool from the internet (on a USB stick or CDROM) and gain instant access to your PC desktop.

You claim that no other office software requires a password to offer an additional layer of protection!??   Have you never tried Outlook, Thunderbird Email, perhaps used password protected PDF files for sensitive customer or employee documents, used C.R.M. software that requires a login to protect the data?

Clearly, the Evernote team is sticking their head in the sand, and will not hear ANYTHING the customers say about modern information security.
This alone is reason enough to run very fast to a different product.   One that has a software development team that has actually used recent office/information software, understands the 2016 era information security landscape, and wants their product to be seriously competitive.

I will repeat, from my original post that started this thread;

Without a separate app password to protect the Evernote data,  I can boot ANY windows PC when the owner is away to lunch with a Boot DVD like Hiren, Ultimate BootCD, or many others, and get past the login password for windows TRIVIALLY, and then I would have access to ALL the notes on that person's EverNote account.   I find this unacceptable and just plain amateur.   It's no different from saying that you should not need a login for your Banking app, since "If locking the device doesn't protect the contents,  another password won't help."    Um, Sorry.  Plain WRONG.

Are the people in control of EverNote really this naïve? In 2016?  Really?  Or are they just plain lazy?

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-22 at 1:53 PM, Nealix said:

Without a separate app password to protect the Evernote data,  I can boot ANY windows PC when the owner is away to lunch with a Boot DVD like Hiren, Ultimate BootCD, or many others, and get past the login password for windows TRIVIALLY, and then I would have access to ALL the notes on that person's EverNote account. 

This is not correct

Not sure about people managing to boot my computer without a password
I know for certain they can't launch Evernote without specifying my userid and password

As to Evernote implementing a PIN on the Windows/Mac platform, I'm sure its on the list and a simple matter of allocating resources to get the work done.
Evernote implemented a PIN (and fingerprint) on my iPhone and iPad, so I'm being patient and waiting for the other platforms.

Its childish to be posting with your name calling and taunts.  I see this as a question of priorities, and accept there could be other work that's more important

• Level 5*

Please note that despite the fancy title I'm a user like anyone else,  and my opinions are not those of Evernote or anyone on its development teams. 

Please also note that I was responding to another user and wanted to get their perspective on why a password is an idea that needs some priority attention.  Since I also log out of Evernote when my laptops get shut down,  anyone is welcome to try to reboot the device - that won't get them access to my notes without going through the Evernote login process too.

Exactly the same shut-down process applies to my copy of Office 2013,  including Outlook,  but that loads up with all my email on full display.  No log-ins required there.  No options that I'm aware of for passwords.  Same for any office document or spreadsheet.  I can (and do) encrypt / password-protect some files from opening with third-party software.

I'd far rather Evernote concentrate on bug fixes and planned works than expend resources - even on 'easy' feature upgrades - particularly since there are thousands of other requests for competing improvements.

I'm looking forward for this feature for a long time. Although I've read all in this topic, I consider this feature very important for many reasons. Why not implement this for God's sake? It's stupid to encrypt all notes that I consider important. A passcode is a very good option. I'm a developer and I know that to develop this feature isn't a task of another world. If you are .NET desktop dev. you can code this in a few days. Unfortunately I have a professional duty until December 15th and I can't offer myself to research the specific library and code this as a volunteer. But if this is not done until there, I will volunteer and try do this by myself.

I hope some employee see this topic and send to its boss to consider this feature.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gladson said:

It's stupid to encrypt all notes that I consider important. 

I think you're posting into a completely different feature request; this request is for a passcode (PIN) at the application level

>>I hope some employee see this topic and send to its boss to consider this feature.

It would be more constructive to locate a feature request in the feedback fotrum and add your vote, (voting buttons in the upper left corner)

On 10/22/2016 at 4:59 PM, DTLow said:

This is not correct

Not sure about people managing to boot my computer without a password
I know for certain they can't launch Evernote without specifying my userid and password

If I am not mistaken, you are a Mac user, right?  On my Windows machine, Evernote always comes up logged in on every reboot, or even if I exit the program and restart again, it remains logged in.  In fact I am not clear how to prevent that from happening automatically, except to manually log out every time, which is simply too much trouble.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Pavy said:

On my Windows machine, Evernote always comes up logged in on every reboot, or even if I exit the program and restart again, it remains logged in.  In fact I am not clear how to prevent that from happening automatically, if at all.

It's actually the same on the Mac; you have to log out.  

Just closing the Evernote window keeps you logged in.

18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's actually the same on the Mac; you have to log out.  

Just closing the Evernote window keeps you logged in.

I edited my reply before seeing yours.  I wonder if someone already posted that as a feature request (automatic log out after a certain amount of time or upon exit).  Most programs I use that require a log in do that much.  

I do think doing it manually is too much trouble every single time.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Pavy said:

I wonder if someone already posted that as a feature request (automatic log out after a certain amount of time or upon exit).  Most programs I use that require a log in do that much.  

I do think doing it manually is too much trouble every single time.

Timed trigger is an additional feature request.  
This topic was simply a request for a PIN feature

The PIN feature on the iPad triggers when switching to a different app.

Personally, I rely on the security at the OS level.
My Mac locks after a period of inactivity

Just a suggestion, on Windows you can use a simple AutoHotkey script to log out of Evernote whenever required. I took the liberty to go ahead and write one, you can modify it as needed:

#o::
Send +#f
Sleep 200
Send !f
Sleep 100
Send o
return

Explanation of how this works:

1-the first line calls the script (Windows key + letter O),

2-next line calls Evernote if not in the foreground (I chose the Find Win-Shift-F built-in hotkey) this assumes Evernote is running.

3-the two sleep lines are needed so Evernote can catch up before continuing, increase or decrease the numbers if needed.

4-The two Send lines are what force Evernote to log out.

I hope this is helpful to someone, particularly if you already use AutoHotkey (freeware program).

• Like 1

I do not understand Evernote not providing a method of securing the desktop application.  Yes windows provides a logon to access the system, however if you are working on a domain then IT staff can get access to any machine and any account, which is understandable.  BUT if you install your own version of evernote then you do not want the possibility of IT Admins accessing your personal Notes.

Ironically you can set a pin code on portable devices (phones, tablets, etc) that are "Personal" and also have varying degrees of security built  so security here is not really needed in my opinion.

Check out the new Demand Sync option in the latest beta. If you don't put notes on your local machine, that avoids a lot (if not all) of the issues brought up here.

If you have a Pin or Password, your files are still sitting on your local hard drive. So the IT guy who could reset your password and open up Evernote, can presumable access any of your local files. 

Perhaps what you're requesting is for your Evernote database to be encrypted separately (and with a password). In which case I'd guess is a lot do work. 

Same thing for the mobile devices. If someone has physical access to your unlocked device, they probably can get to your local files. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2017-02-18 at 2:32 AM, spbdynamics said:

I do not understand Evernote not providing a method of securing the desktop application

You could always log out of your Evernote account.  It's password protected

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2017 at 3:32 AM, spbdynamics said:

BUT if you install your own version of evernote then you do not want the possibility of IT Admins accessing your personal Notes.

I guess that depends upon how the company views who owns the hardware.  

IAC, pending EN adding any app security, you can always view your notes at work using the web version and use a desktop version at home.

Hi, I'm going to pitch in on this. It's a bit frustrating for me that this isn't a feature, given that it's available on mobile devices.

I was hoping those of us who feel that we should have this feature on desktop can really band together for a unified request (unless there's already a request and I just couldn't find it?).

Why do I want the desktop pin/pass lock? Well, I use my Evernote to write personal notes while I'm at work. I'll alt-tab to it in the middle of making a Powerpoint presentation, and forget that it's open (so I won't remember to log-out). I'll usually get up from my desk (I'm in an open, wall-less startup office of 140 people) to get coffee, vape, whatever, and forget that I have all of my windows open. Sometimes, I'll completely forget that I have my Evernote on the foreground (okay, I have ADD). There was a time that I left my online banking statement on the foreground and had to facepalm when I got back with my coffee...

Anyway, at other times, other people will need to access my computer to get files. I want them to have access to my OS, but not my Evernote. Telegram has this desktop lock feature and it's perfect; it's really simple and I hope Evernote can apply this too.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, teammate said:

Why do I want the desktop pin/pass lock? Well, I use my Evernote to write personal notes while I'm at work.

The standard solution to this: don't use your work computer for personal stuff. It's not your computer. It's not private.

• If you want to use Evernote for work, then you should have a separate account for work (it can be a free account). I do this.
  • If you have content in your personal Evernote account that you might need at work, and don't care if anyone sees it, put it in a separate notebook and share that to your work account. I do this with my software development notebook.
  • If you have work content that you want to see on your home computer, share it to your personal account. I work at home on occasion, so I share several notebooks in this way.
  • If you want to jot quick personal notes to yourself, it's probably better to use your phone for that.

Anyway, at other times, other people will need to access my computer to get files. I want them to have access to my OS, but not my Evernote.

Your OS has a system that allows you to have separate accounts for other people, but still have common files. This scenario is what it's there for.

• Level 5*

Anyway, at other times, other people will need to access my computer to get files. I want them to have access to my OS, but not my Evernote.

I have the same problem at home; a shared computer

My solution is separate accounts, or at least a guest account.  It's not just Evernote; I can't allow open access to my stuff

>>I was hoping those of us who feel that we should have this feature on desktop can really band together for a unified request (unless there's already a request and I just couldn't find it?).

This discussion is a "unified request" (for Windows users).  You can add your vote using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion

I posted this before and after 5 years still nothing is done. So another Christmas, another offer to get Premium at 50% off and another PASS because of the lack of this basic function. Sure I have a single free evernote at work. And I have a single free evernote at home. I am actually starting to use Microsoft's (stolen for a song from Wunderlist) ToDo for simple todos at work. Evernote fits a niche and isn't in the same league as ToDo - but for me to go all in, I need to have everything under one roof and Evernote isn't cutting it. Whatever.

I get the "files" on the HDD are not encrypted - and anyone (let's say Russkies) - if they REALLY wanted to, could get at the data. But most IT people are not hackers - they in fact lack any ability to hack. We all want a PIN or alternate password on the windows desktop. Guru jefito et al is not the problem - the paid Evernote people are the issue - they aren't doing this. If I was told "well we can give you an alternate password on the desktop - but if people really wanted to get at your data - with the right skills they could" - I still would jump at the chance to get that "dissuading" option. 

Joyeux Noël indeed.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Bellyman said:

tech people at my company - any company - could actually break into "whatever-PIN-security-that-evernote-could-ever-build-into-their-windows-app"

My opinion is; your data is secure with your account password.  The tech people can not break into your account
Adding another password (PIN) does not increase/decrease this security

* You might want to make sure your device is secure, for example - disk encryption

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Bellyman said:

I am happy with that. I need a very strong password to prevent evil doers from getting into Evernote - VIA EVERNOTE!

?? You have an account password. You can log out of the Evernote client, which will require you to log back in using the password to see your Evernote content. Not sure I see the problem.

29 minutes ago, Bellyman said:

So the password is long/strong etc. I want some security - but not the same as the Evernote password.

?? So use a long/strong Evernote password.

30 minutes ago, Bellyman said:

90% of the people in the office have a password ending in 1.  I don't care about people getting onto my machine - I care about them leering into my personal business.

Their bad passwords are their problem. I don't understand the point of that; their passwords won't get them into your Evernote. Hopefully you're not keeping your personal stuff on your work computer. If you are, why are you? I thought that you said that you had free accounts for each of your home and work computers....

I found that the desktop version of Evernote has security. To log out go to "File" (top left) and at the bottom you will see "Sign out". Then nobody can access your Evernote if they use your computer. Next time Evernote is opened it will prompt for the username and password.

Evernote security.jpg

All the GURUS keep saying that there is no need for a password; simply logout of you Windows terminal. Then WTF did evernote introduce a passcode for mobile app? shouldn't the argument be the same - lock your mobile device so no one can get into your apps? They saw a need for it there, and they don't seem to see a need for it on the PC .... doesn't make sense.

• Level 5*
On 5/28/2018 at 3:56 AM, fxsimba said:

All the GURUS keep saying that there is no need for a password; simply logout of you Windows terminal.

No. You just sign out of your Evernote account: File / Sign out <user name>. You'll need a password to log back in.

Of course you can also lock (not log out of) your terminal, sure: Win+L. You'll need a password to log back in there, too.

Or yes, log out of your Windows account altogether. Yes, you'll need a password to log back in there also.

Or you can just ignore the tools you already have and you can complain bitterly for no good reason...

• Haha 1

its not a complain jefito, its a debate. you gurus keep saying its a waste of valuable resources for the evernote team to work on a passlock feature for the desktop app. We the USERS, are putting up a justifiable, and user-friendly reason as to why we need the passlocks on the desktop app. Not every household or work places are "hackers" who can break into your database even though you have a passlock to prevent them gaining access through the APP. Ofcourse if it needed to be hacked, it will be. But in the meantime, we are requesting a lock that can make accessing the APP quick and easy - none of the sign in/out or log in/out.

isnt that what "feedback" is for especially from EVERYDAY users?

On 10/22/2016 at 6:45 PM, gazumped said:

Please note that despite the fancy title I'm a user like anyone else,  and my opinions are not those of Evernote or anyone on its development teams. 

Please also note that I was responding to another user and wanted to get their perspective on why a password is an idea that needs some priority attention.  Since I also log out of Evernote when my laptops get shut down,  anyone is welcome to try to reboot the device - that won't get them access to my notes without going through the Evernote login process too.

Exactly the same shut-down process applies to my copy of Office 2013,  including Outlook,  but that loads up with all my email on full display.  No log-ins required there.  No options that I'm aware of for passwords.  Same for any office document or spreadsheet.  I can (and do) encrypt / password-protect some files from opening with third-party software.

I'd far rather Evernote concentrate on bug fixes and planned works than expend resources - even on 'easy' feature upgrades - particularly since there are thousands of other requests for competing improvements.

Outlook works that way because it is owned and managed by your IT team, of course you will be using SSO in that case. 

Evernote desktop client is useless at work at the moment. OneNote is becoming way better. 

Feature needed:

* full disk encryption 

* pin lock or third party double authentication 

* encrypted connection to Evernote cloud (I think this one is OK) 

Argument 1: use windows login instead and close computer with Ctrl + L

Obviously we lock our computer that is not the issue. 

You IT teams owns your computer, they can remote connect and reset your password 

They can potentially access the files on your disk also 

When Evernote is used for personal info, IT should not have access to it. 

Yes they can install a key logger or try to decrypt the files but this is very illegal and can be proven in court 

Argument 2: why reinvent the wheel 

Even OneNote has a feature to encrypt a whole notebook 

Why add a pin on Phone then? 

It adds a layer of security, delaying an attacker 

Is a double Authentification mechanism (simple yes) 

Even better, add a real third-party double Auth on the windows client? 

Argument 3: just login and logout of your Evernote client 

If note sync was instantaneous this would make sense. It is slow as hell.

We need file system encryption to store the cache of notes and a quick unlock with pin to access the notes quickly 

• Level 5*
On 3/30/2019 at 6:50 PM, John Smith Bobs said:

Outlook works that way because it is owned and managed by your IT team

(My emphasis) <sigh> Are we under the impression here that I'm now Microsoft?  Outlook (in my case) is part of Office 2017 and is owned and 'managed' (or at least mostly survived) by me. 

My previous comment wasn't in any way doubting the preference that some users apparently feel for more customization to their particular wishes,  or Evernote's inclination to do something to help out.  I'm just pointing out my feeling that 1) I'd like things that currently should work efficiently to be absolutely cast-iron before we get into more user-request features and 2) that there are a kazillion such features out there,  some with a higher priority than this one.  If it's a high priority for you,  then by all means look around for another provider.  It's not available now,  and it's simply not known whether anything is heading down the pike anytime soon.

Your argument 1: is correct - if you put your personal data on a works-owned device,  they will have access to it,  one way or another.  My answer is just not to do that.  Mobile or web clients may be part of an answer.

Argument 2 - if you're arguing for 2-factor logins,  How to set up two-step verification

Argument 3 - "If note sync was instantaneous this would make sense. It is slow as hell."  If you're using the installed windows client and logging out / logging in during a work session,  sync should be pretty seamless.  If you're using the Web client,  you don't sync the whole database - just the note(s) that you're working on,  so I don't see where sync times come into it...

• Level 5*
On 3/30/2019 at 2:50 PM, John Smith Bobs said:

Argument 1: use windows login instead and close computer with Ctrl + L

Obviously we lock our computer that is not the issue. 

You IT teams owns your computer, they can remote connect and reset your password 

They can potentially access the files on your disk also 

When Evernote is used for personal info, IT should not have access to it. 

Yes they can install a key logger or try to decrypt the files but this is very illegal and can be proven in court 

This is a particularly clueless "argument". First, your company owns your computer, not you. You, the employee , have no expectation of privacy when you use company resources (Internet access, computing equipment, etc.). If you put personal information on your company's computer, it's de facto not private. In general, it is in no way illegal for the company to access the data on their own equipment; if you think otherwise, then reference specific court cases that prove it. https://www.privacyrights.org/consumer-guides/workplace-privacy-and-employee-monitoring

• Level 5*
On 5/3/2020 at 3:28 PM, Gilberto Alexandre said:

I have seen people fighting with you for over 8 years over a lock password on the desktop version.

Hi.  It's been a fairly quiet fight on Evernote's part - I don't recall the company expressing an opinion one way or the other so far.  Some users (including me) have been pointing out there are already some protections on every device to secure the content,  and I certainly don't especially want it made slower or more difficult for me to get into my notes,  on the off-chance that I might hand over an unlocked device to a family member or a colleague.  That's all just information and personal opinion though.  Evernote just haven't implemented anything yet. 

Given that in this thread exactly 11 people (so far) have voted for the idea,  it doesn't seem likely to be a high priority,  regardless of the need some users clearly feel.  

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

it doesn't seem likely to be a high priority

I know during the 6 years I was there, it never even appeared as a hint in any upcoming work...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, dcon said:

it never even appeared as a hint in any upcoming work...

There y'go,  crushing any faint hope...  I was trying to be at least a little positive.... 😄

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/20/2020 at 7:53 PM, Jeff. Tech-challeneged said:

Has anyone here used a third party app to lock Evernote on laptop (Windows 10)?    Looks like  Folder Guard would be the best option so far---anyone tried that or any other app?

The computer is locked (password)   
The Evernote account is locked (password)

For disk encryption, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4028713/windows-10-turn-on-device-encrypt

• Level 5

If it is not "your" computer locking an application makes little sense - an admin will be able to override it.

If it is not "your" computer, but you want to use the EN client, simply lock your user screen before walking away. Better make your screen saver lock it for you. But be aware that this is only a relative security on a shared or workplace computer.

If you just want access to EN, use the web client instead, and set the browser to clean out the cache on closing. 

Thanks for all your input.  It is my own compute on my turf.  The multiple user idea won't work because most of the people coming into my computer need access to fix tech issues and whatnot.  I'm comfortable with them having access to everything; I just don't want them to easily stumble into my EN or Dropbox apps.  I think the only viable solution is a 3rd party app or to sign out of those apps before anyone is going to jump on...if that's even viable 

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Jeff. Tech-challeneged said:

Thanks for all your input.  It is my own compute on my turf.  The multiple user idea won't work because most of the people coming into my computer need access to fix tech issues and whatnot.  I'm comfortable with them having access to everything; I just don't want them to easily stumble into my EN or Dropbox apps.  I think the only viable solution is a 3rd party app or to sign out of those apps before anyone is going to jump on...if that's even viable 

You could reboot when they get there.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Jeff. Tech-challeneged said:

Thanks, CalS. So I can just sign out of my EN desktop app and reboot my laptop.  And when I sign back in later, I resume right where I was and nothing is lost or reconfigured? 

Yup.  Be sure to go to settings and set Synchronize changes on exit, just to be sure. File - Sign Out is the most secure way as you will have to log back in when you return.  And you must have an Internet connection to do that, typically not a big deal.

Image.png.312a3e93563fa0c3a39410fc52fb5b78.png