(Archived) Inconsistent tag autocomplete in webclipper

goggin

I use the webclipper bookmark a lot in FireFox v3.5.3 on several computers...it's very handy. But I consistently get inconsistent behavior in the tag autocomplete feature.

That is, sometimes the autocomplete works and sometimes it doesn't. It's been doing this for a long time and I've not been able to discern any pattern to when the autocomplete feature will work and when it doesn't. When autocomplete doesn't work, it behaves as if my tag list is empty. I can still type in tags manually, but the autocomplete pop-up thing never happens...so I have to remember the spelling of each tag specifically.

I can still use the Webclipper when the autocomplete doesn't work, it's just not as convenient.

Do others have this problem, too? Since I get this behavior across multiple computers, I'm assuming others see the same thing.

--

dgg

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed a change in autocomplete as well. I use Firefox v. 3.5.3 on a Windows XP computer. Autocomplete works on the first tag I enter but not on subsequent tags. I have had to delete a few tags in which I mis-typed a tag.

Previously, Evernote autocompleted EVERY tag. I wish that were the case still! Is there something I can do or a fix in the works?

I just tested this a few times using Firefox 3.5, and autocomplete seemed to work ok for me. Do you see this problem for every tag you type, or only ones with certain patterns/characters in the name?

I just tested this a few times using Firefox 3.5, and autocomplete seemed to work ok for me. Do you see this problem for every tag you type, or only ones with certain patterns/characters in the name?

I've had this problem for 6 months or so...in several different versions of Firefox...going back as far as 3.0...and as recent as FF3.6B2pre on Win Vista and Win 7. There's never been any indication these configurations had any effect on the problem...it occurs randomly on all configurations...I only mention those details for completeness. In fact, now that I think about it, this happens to me at work, too, using IE 7 on Win XP and a pretty locked down corporate environment (have to use the web interface from work, no install allowed).

I hadn't written about the problem before, not because it wasn't annoying (it is!), but because I was trying to find a pattern to report...but finally I decided there wasn't a pattern I could discern...suggesting it's something not readily visible to me (network traffic? load on Evernote servers? who knows!).

I'm not sure, but it does seem that when this happens, if I wait a long time after getting the Evernote web clipper pop up (like 1-2 minutes...I mean a *long* time!)...that the autocomplete will then work. So, once again, I'm not at all sure of this, but it could be network or server related.

BTW, I do hope you guys do your testing over a conventional ISP connection, with cable modems and wireless routers in the loop to simulate actual end user conditions. You do that, don't you? It would be a shame if you tested via hard wire connection direct to the Evernote servers...you'll never see some of the problems that plague end users that way.

--

dg

Thanks for the report. I just tried this using a Sprint network card from a moving train, and the auto-complete didn't work on my first try, but then worked fine on subsequent attempts. We'll take a look at it.

Thanks

Archived