Account Hacked? Unknown note.

WhoWin

• Level 5*

Hi. I think there is no way to know for sure from our end. To find an answer, you'll have to get in touch with support. If you are a free user, you may or may not receive an answer.

Here are a few possibilities:

(1) You are connected with a third-party integration (like Cloud HQ) that has messed up and imported someone else's notes into your account. They could also be messing up and exporting your notes without your knowledge into someone else's account. We have seen a couple cases of this.

(2) You've been hacked by Louis.

(3) Louis has somehow discovered your Evernote email address, possibly through the theft of someone's contact list (if you have ever emailed a note to someone, your address might be in their contacts), and he has emailed a note to you.

Hi. I think there is no way to know for sure from our end. To find an answer, you'll have to get in touch with support. If you are a free user, you may or may not receive an answer.

Here are a few possibilities:

(1) You are connected with a third-party integration (like Cloud HQ) that has messed up and imported someone else's notes into your account. They could also be messing up and exporting your notes without your knowledge into someone else's account. We have seen a couple cases of this.

(2) You've been hacked by Louis.

(3) Louis has somehow discovered your Evernote email address, possibly through the theft of someone's contact list (if you have ever emailed a note to someone, your address might be in their contacts), and he has emailed a note to you.

Because of the format of the note, I think 3 is a real possibility. I would change my evernote email and in the future only use it in the bcc line of an email. 

Yeah I think the first step is to reset your evernote email address (not the one you sign in with, I'm talking about the one that looks like: johnny.a1b2c3@m.evernote.com). 

You can reset this by logging into your account at evernote.com and going to Account Settings. 

------

Blarg, sniped by Candid! 

Wow! What great community support.

I forgot to mention, I am Louis H... so I am trying to think about that in relation to your answers.

Thanks GrumpyMonkey, Candid, and ScottLougheed! I'll change my evernote email right after this post.

Now, Grumpy... I believe you are spot on. My email address along with my other email aliases was found to be spaming my brother who in turn told me. It's unclear however if it was my own contact list or someone elses that wad stolen. Being that it seems my private evernote email address was used, I'm guessing it was my contact list that is comprised.

Thanks again, you guys rock. Loving evernote!

Wow! What great community support.

I forgot to mention, I am Louis H... so I am trying to think about that in relation to your answers.

Thanks GrumpyMonkey, Candid, and ScottLougheed! I'll change my evernote email right after this post.

Now, Grumpy... I believe you are spot on. My email address along with my other email aliases was found to be spaming my brother who in turn told me. It's unclear however if it was my own contact list or someone elses that wad stolen. Being that it seems my private evernote email address was used, I'm guessing it was my contact list that is comprised.

Thanks again, you guys rock. Loving evernote!

Sounds about right! I know my johnny.a1b2c3@m.evernote.com email address is in my contact list, so if my email account started spamming, some of it would definitely go to evernote! 

Good luck getting everything sorted out.

• Ex Employees

If you send over your support ticket # I'd be happy to investigate your issue!

Has anyone had a random note in their book that they have no idea where it came from?

I ended up clicking on a link within the note which routed me to a landing page for a weight loss supplement.

The following link is where I was redirected to - probably best not to click through:

http://diet.com-yc21.net/fyda/inadsyda/

See attached images. 

Any ideas?

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I found out that my account was hacked today. Someone changed my user name to "Poppy", attempted to send emails from my account to 5 people, and a note was added. I'm stressing, because I don't know what was shared. Went to my account activity and my account was accessed by someone in 4 different countries. 

Fortunately, Evernote emailed me because 5 emails couldn't be sent.  Is there any way to see any other emails were sent?

I had the same issue as KRL this morning. My Evernote email seems to have spammed a bunch of U.K. email addresses, and I got the bounce notification in my gmail. My Evernote username was changed to a different name as well. In the access history, there was access to my Evernote - via the web app - from IP addresses in Vietnam, India, and Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Don't know what's going on, but you're apparently not the only one:

I have the same thing... and I keep receiving those messages from Evernote about unable to send an e-mail to persons I do not know about. Who can check about?

Archived