EN Mac 5.6.0 problems in notebook selection window

benkrall

Idea

When typing into the notebook selection window, to move a note, there are two problems.

First, it crashes the app or causes a permanent beachball about half the time when you start typing in the window to search for a notebook

Second, it brings up the notebooks in the wrong order, something like the AMAZING NEW :rolleyes: relevance search order, instead of the order I type in. Why are they sorting by this mysterious relevance instead of just what I type. For example when I type "art" into the notebook search field, it should select the notebook called "art" not the notebook called "parts." It's basic stuff...

Has anyone else noticed this?? It's messing up my workflow and driving me nuts with frustration at why EN keeps making changes like this.

EN 5.6.0

Mac OS 10.7.5

post-77402-0-70079800-1411956917_thumb.p

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It does seem that Evernote have changed their search process so that it will now find hits within as well as at the start of strings.  That's 'better' I guess - you might be able to adapt your notebook names and search for !art to take advantage...

It does seem that Evernote have changed their search process so that it will now find hits within as well as at the start of strings.  That's 'better' I guess - you might be able to adapt your notebook names and search for !art to take advantage...

No, I won't be changing all my notebook names so that I can search for them faster in the revised search results. ANd I'm not typing special characters either. That is honestly the most counterproductive and labor intensive solution I can imagine to this problem - which is that Evernote has done this wrong.

Searching for content within notes, OK that makes sense if EN wants to use a fancy new relevance ranking so they can get a gold star from their VC investors, or whatever they are doing over there in California. Filtering a notebook list should not be relevance ranked, it should be how you type it.

But anyway as bad and counterproductive as this problem is, it still doesn't matter much because half the time you try this Evernote crashes...

• Level 5*

This change in Notebook Search is definitely NOT better to me.  

It results in finding a lot of false positives.

I would much prefer that the user enter a wildcard character, like "*", at the start of the search term if they want to search within the NB name.

I reported the same issue with 10.7.5 for several of the 5.6 betas on the forum, and then once the final version was released I also filed a bug report and submitted a screen recording of the crash. The support team at Evernote said they think it is a bug, and asked me for logs to try to track it down and get it fixed. The desktop application is so frustrating to use at the moment that I've switched to the web app. I'm hoping there is an update soon to resolve the issue because I like many of the improvements in 5.6.

When typing into the notebook selection window, to move a note, there are two problems.

First, it crashes the app or causes a permanent beachball about half the time when you start typing in the window to search for a notebook

Second, it brings up the notebooks in the wrong order, something like the AMAZING NEW :rolleyes: relevance search order, instead of the order I type in. Why are they sorting by this mysterious relevance instead of just what I type. For example when I type "art" into the notebook search field, it should select the notebook called "art" not the notebook called "parts." It's basic stuff...

Has anyone else noticed this?? It's messing up my workflow and driving me nuts with frustration at why EN keeps making changes like this.

EN 5.6.0

Mac OS 10.7.5

Archived