Mangling pasted content.

wmbaum

Evernote used to be a great way to store code snippets, but it has starting mangling the content in a way that makes it unusable.  I would frequently paste in chunks of sql, bash, javascript or whatever from terminals, IDE's, blog posts, etc.. I liked that it was able to preserve the fonts and colors from some IDE's.

A few versions ago, it started altering the content of material pasted in from the clipboard, rendering it unusable.  Paste in sql or javascript and you'll get spaces added after all the periods, rendering the code useless.

Evernote, if you want to add some options for auto-correct while typing, fine, but make them options that can be turned off.  Altering the content of material pasted in from the clipboard is a BUG. It should NEVER do that. 

For the time being, pasting as plain text avoids the mangling of the content, but loses the formatting, which in this case was desirable. 

The regular Paste already did WAY too much, but this is a show-stopper.

Actually it's worse than I thought.  The plain text paste is now losing the indentation.

Pasting:

ALTER VIEW dbo.v_blahblahASSELECT	,row_count=SUM(ps.row_count)	,ident=IDENT_CURRENT(DB_NAME()+'.'+SCHEMA_NAME(t.schema_id)+'.'+t.name)FROM	--[blah]	JOIN sys.tables AS t ON t.name=g.name	JOIN sys.dm_db_partition_stats AS ps ON ps.object_id = t.object_id AND ps.index_id<2GROUP BY t.schema_id,t.name,t.object_id

yields

ALTER VIEW dbo .v_blahblah
AS
SELECT
        , row_count= SUM (ps . row_count)
        , ident= IDENT_CURRENT (DB_NAME ()+ '.'+ SCHEMA_NAME (t . schema_id)+ '.' +t . name)
FROM
        --[blah]
        JOIN sys . tables AS t ON t .name = g. name
        JOIN sys . dm_db_partition_stats AS ps ON ps .object_id = t . object_id AND ps. index_id< 2
GROUP BY t .schema_id , t. name ,t . object_id

which is useless and broken. 

pasting as plain text yields:

ALTER VIEW dbo.v_blahblahASSELECT,row_count=SUM(ps.row_count),ident=IDENT_CURRENT(DB_NAME()+'.'+SCHEMA_NAME(t.schema_id)+'.'+t.name)FROM--[blah]JOIN sys.tables AS t ON t.name=g.nameJOIN sys.dm_db_partition_stats AS ps ON ps.object_id = t.object_id AND ps.index_id<2GROUP BY t.schema_id,t.name,t.object_id

As I'm writing this I'm wondering why the forum editor (CKEditor) is better than the editor in Evernote. 

You've dumbed it down so much and added so much "helpfulness" that it's become useless. 

Where do I store my snippets now?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

I know this is a Windows thread, but for any Mac users that come along:

Mac Users:  You might consider Quiver as an alternative to Evernote for a "Programmer's Notebook"

Quiver is a notebook built for programmers.

• It lets you easily mix text, code and Markdown within one note,
  • edit code with an awesome code editor,
  • live preview Markdown and LaTeX cells, and
  • find any note instantly via the full-text search.

Archived