REQUEST: Printing Notes with Page Numbers

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can we have page numbering on printing a note.

I have some long documents in Evernote and in WORD I would always include the document title in the header and have Page # of ## in the footer so if the pages get mixed I can always sort them out.

Without this feature, I would normally have to reprint the whole document again!

If not the page header then PLEASE at least give us the Page Numbers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Not sure page numbering when printing notes is on Evernote's hit list.  It's a deceptively 'simple' request,  but requires Evernote to check paper sizes,  insert page break code into your note and other printer related stuff - and it seems a bit at odds with their 'paper-free' ethos.

Best options to print a long note with page breaks and numbers - cut and paste the contents into a word processor,  add numbers and print from there.

• 2 months later...

I absolutely think this should be added.

Calling it a feature seems ridiculous!

I am using evernote to organize and write a film, and definitely need page numbers!

Seriously, a note taking app that can't print page numbers is just comically ridiculous!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that page numbers would be a valuable addition. I just tried pasting into word & it doesn't work. Spaces were removed. Even some line breaks disappeared. After spending time fixing up the Word text, I decided to just print from Evernote and hand write the page numbers on the printout. 

• 2 months later...

Not sure page numbering when printing notes is on Evernote's hit list.  It's a deceptively 'simple' request,  but requires Evernote to check paper sizes,  insert page break code into your note and other printer related stuff - and it seems a bit at odds with their 'paper-free' ethos.

Best options to print a long note with page breaks and numbers - cut and paste the contents into a word processor,  add numbers and print from there.

I understand, and sympathize with, Evernote's "paper-free" free ethos. However, I'm not sure that the Real World has advanced to this point and so some of us still have to print stuff out sometimes. Maybe make it a premium feature? I'll pay a bit more than I already do to be able to page-break and page-number!

Evernote is NOT a word processor, it is a digital filing system that allows you to use notes to add context. Those notes can be edited in a simple way, and that is it. Using EN to write a book, a film or any other long texts that subsequently need to be edited extensively is not what the app is meant for. Too many people try to use EN for things it was not designed for & then complain about EN's capabilities.

For certain use cases there are workarounds or even 3rd party apps that integrate with EN, so if you find one of those for your situation, then great you can use EN in conjunction with the other app. But if not, face reality & accept that there are things you cannot do with EN & use something that is right for the job. You can hammer a nail into a piece of wood, but it is better to use a screwdriver.

Evernote is NOT a word processor... face reality & accept that there are things you cannot do with EN & use something that is right for the job. You can hammer a ***** into a piece of wood, but it is better to use a screwdriver.

Pete. Thank you for your brutally honest reply here. In fact, I used it almost verbatum to tell my boss, once again, why I couldn't just *zoop* send that thing to the printer with page breaks, and why EN hadn't got them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

A brilliant thread - thank you all!

Just to add my voice in here though, I would like to have all my stuff in one place. I know that Evernote isn't a Word Processor and don't want it to be.

It does though have rich text capability, highlighting, underlining etc - just as this micro editor in this forum tool does. It's not trying to be a WP either - but these are useful tools within this context.

At the moment I have my documents (hundreds of them), each hundreds of pages long - split between Dropbox (as word files) and Evernote. I started with the dropbox solution, sorting them hierachaly and cross referencing them until I started really using Evernote. They still get written in Word (cause Evernote doesn't have some of the stuff I want - and doesn't seem to like writing docs more than a few pages) but as soon as I can - I get them over to EN. You know the reasons why so I don't need to go into them here - it's why we are on this forum, all using and enjoying EN. Once they're in EN though I do add to them / make further notes etc. Once that's happened.. really difficult to sync / balance the docs between Word DB, and EN...

Once they are over in EN - both as Embedded files and as copy and paste (in the same note), I really do miss page numbers when I print them. Why do I print them because (try as I might, and I've been working with tech now for over 30 years) I can't get away from paper for some things. I seem to have some dyslexia and when I'm faced with a large document (electronically or otherwise), unless I physically interface with it, breaking it up with a pen through markings, highlighting, underlining  etc - I can't absorb it.

Yep, I've tried (and really quite like) the EN markup feature, but it still doesn't overcome this issue for me. That's why - yes, please please give us page numbers. I know the complications. It isn't a simple request, it's complex to implement - but not insurmountable at all. US format and A4 - that'll do it for starters and covers off 95% of the world I suspect. It is a feature - any idea for a product enhancement (which this is) is a new feature and involves design work, technical analysis, project management, testing ...

It's a worthy one though. On my desk, right now, I've got three long documents printed out that I MUST absorb. One has been done in word, the other two in EN. I'm working through all three but am struggling for the two that lack the page numbers. I can live with the other issues in difference (heading, neatness of formatting) but get a few pages out of order and I'm pretty stuffed unless I start searching for that text in EN then recording the pages! At the moment my only workaround is to number those pages by hand. Very doable but pretty tedious. 

Until then it's that DB, Word, EN balancing act that will need to be performed. I could look into tablets with pens though I suppose and have a bash at that... I really loathe the paper thing and am open to ideas to do away with it once and for all!

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Stephen Hicks said:

The biggest opposition to Evernote is OneNote which has page numbering out-of-the-box, tablet, phone, and PC sync. Picture, sound, and web clipping .

We should try that for a while

Or you could use a word processor app

I use Apple Pages, and file the document in Evernote.  
I never found EN a good solution for quality printing projects

52 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Or you could use a word processor app

I use Apple Pages, and file the document in Evernote.  
I never found EN a good solution for quality printing projects

That's the thing with Evernote: very often (too often?) one has to use workarounds.

The inference that it is difficult to implement is bogus unless you are writing the whole thing in machine code.

If I (a 65 year old) can implement page numbers in a Visual Basic program print routine easy enough, why can't the guru's at Evernote do it?

I've made the switch to OneNote.

there is a free program for the desktop which converts all your notes from the Evernote platform to OneNote, and respects your filing system and tags. It's not perfect (the notes are saved as screenshots) but was more than good enough for my purposes.

onenote is essentially free, and has all the features Evernote are now charging for. It is also far better supported by Microsoft support than Evernote is by their support (as in evidence all across this site). Once you learn the differences and the strengths of OneNote is is at least equal if not better than Evernote.

in hindsight I wish I'd made the switch earlier instead of wasting so much time trying to have Evernote fix such fundamental bugs, repeated software failures, and waiting on promised but never delivered features.

i hope this post saves someone else the wait! 

My advise, make the change now.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Stephen Hicks said:

why can't the guru's at Evernote do it?

Page numbers would be nice to have,  and I've no doubt Evernote could add them,  but the two more important questions are:  do they want to?* and if so,  what priority is this?  If you read the rest of the forums,  there are a couple thousand highly urgent "essential" features that Evernote needs to activate sooner rather than later.  They're no doubt working on a bunch now.  That select group might even include page numbers,  but Evernote don't (usually) pre-announce.  You've raised the point - they'll get around to it.  Meantime there are workarounds,  or if you really can't live without an integrated feature there's always OneNote.

(Sidenote:  OneNote may fit your needs,  as it apparently does for @leefie.  If so,  good luck to you;  but a number of independent reviewers call it even - OneNote currently does things that Evernote can't,  and vice-versa.  I'd strongly recommend a little due diligence before you commit.  Microsoft may have mixed loyalties here - they just introduced another alternative,  apparently competing clipping app,  Cache...)

* As in:  are more customers worried about this than right-to-left alignment / bullet lists / etc etc etc...

• Level 5

And I'd just like to pop in (perhaps rashly) to say that if one is writing something longer than 3 standard pages (i.e., long enough that it helps to have the pages numbered), then Evernote may not be the tool for the job. Its editor is not designed for long, complex documents anyway, nor should it have to be, IMHO, since it's Evernote, not Everessay. I'd write something that long and longer in a word processor, and have total control over formatting and printing; then if I needed it ever available I'd attach it to an EN note, or copy the text and paste it in. I don't consider that a workaround, even, just choosing amongst my tools.

All that said, yes, better printing, including page numbering, is certainly desirable. (The Thunderbird e-mail program can handle page numbers, for pete's sake.) But I can see why it might not be a development priority.

• Level 5*

This is certainly a fair feature request; if anyone cares deeply enough, then they should make it a feature request in the Product Feedback forum of the Evernote client of their choice so other users can upvote it (while we wait for a general Evernote Feedback area with voting capabilities). @Stephen Hicks, it's your topic; I could move this to the Product Feedback of your choice, if you'd like.

On 3/28/2015 at 8:22 AM, DutchPete said:

(...) Using EN to write a book, a film or any other long texts that subsequently need to be edited extensively is not what the app is meant for. Too many people try to use EN for things it was not designed for & then complain about EN's capabilities.

(...)
You can hammer a nail into a piece of wood, but it is better to use a screwdriver.

I use it for study notes or tutorials. That might become even a longer text and when I want to share it with someone printing is a good way. Implementing pagenumbers on the print-out don't seem to be that hard to implement and kinda attacking people for using evernote the way they want or need seems strange to me..

Ignoring long wished features, that are around as long as I use evernote (almost five years I think) is feeling like people are left alone.
I know, many things (security and stability) are important too. But I don't understand and feel that too well as an customer who pays for services he wants or needs.

Although I don't like changing (even wrote my own tools for evernote to format text and knowing EN well) I feel like pushed to look at the screwdrivers...

• Level 5*

@jefito (I think) made the point recently* in another thread that Evernote do read,  and must discuss most if not all of the features requested in the forums.  They do so behind closed doors and don't tell us the outcome unless it becomes obvious when they release a new feature.  The fact that they haven't released this one (yet) means they either decided not to pursue it at all,  or that it's scheduled in sometime in the future.  That's not 'ignoring',  even if they don't share the process.  It's their product,  and their decision,  -right or wrong- what to develop and when to do it.

* Sorry @Jeff I might have expanded on what you actually said quite a lot...  ;)

• Level 5*
On September 2, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Tom Taste said:

I use it for study notes or tutorials. That might become even a longer text and when I want to share it with someone printing is a good way. Implementing pagenumbers on the print-out don't seem to be that hard to implement

as a workaround, you might look at other methods for sharing your notes, or printing your notes.
- email the note
- copy the note to a wp app which has better print features
- other ideas mentioned in the forums

I'm not disputing your "don't seem to be that hard to implement" analysis, but there is a question of priorities - which changes EN should focus on.  
Users can influence this by voting; vote buttons are in the upper corner of the discussion.Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 10.13.18 AM.png

Hey as much as we'd like to keep everything on line, when we print it would be nice to know the page number.  Option - simple page #s Y/N, or pages #/total pages.
Adding my vote and name to the request.
Larry
2016SP06 10:20 Sydney Australia

On 02/09/2016 at 6:08 PM, Tom Taste said:

I use it for study notes or tutorials. That might become even a longer text and when I want to share it with someone printing is a good way. Implementing pagenumbers on the print-out don't seem to be that hard to implement and kinda attacking people for using evernote the way they want or need seems strange to me..

Ignoring long wished features, that are around as long as I use evernote (almost five years I think) is feeling like people are left alone.
I know, many things (security and stability) are important too. But I don't understand and feel that too well as an customer who pays for services he wants or needs.

Although I don't like changing (even wrote my own tools for evernote to format text and knowing EN well) I feel like pushed to look at the screwdrivers...

OneNote might have what you are looking for.

Archived