STOP ANNOYING USERS

Joseazevedo

I love and use Evernote almost daily. BUT since you began showing this annoying page every time I open Safari, I'm about to send Evernote to a far and far away place, being very educated...

Since you created the annoying thing, give me the cure for it, will you? I've already disabled Evernote Web Clipper, but to no good. This damn page keeps on opening over my home page when I open Safari.

So, what's the solution, Evernote team?

OSX Yosemite, Safari 8.0

post-224887-0-82956500-1411762901_thumb.

Hi Scott,

it doesn't have to do with my system being beta or not. It happens on OSX 10.9X also. It has to do with cleaning history and website data, something I do very often so my HD doesn't get stuffed with data it's not using. Also, others use this computer so I like to keep my surfing private.

Anyway, after cleaning history and website data the annoying "flag" Evernote created to its extension comes to life again as you open your browser (any). Imagine if every application I have on this computer have the same amazing idea... I'll spend the day closing tabs instead of working.

I believe Evernote DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO THIS AND should have created something that appeared ONCE and then is gone FOREVER. Or, at least put an on/off button for the annoying page. Can't be that hard even for a so so programmer. It only shows their lack of capacity or intention to do so. As a result, I have an annoying piece of bad written code bothering me every time I decide to work the way I've always worked.

I can't agree with this kind of "cleverness". Their marketing department shouldn't also, because it's not doing ANY good to Evernote's image. Check other posts on the web or this forum and you'll see.

I'm just saying I haven't seen this screen since I first installed it. Sounds like perhaps there's a bug. I don't think your experience is a reflection of how things should work.

I'm not denying your experience, just saying it isn't working as designed. Evernote isn't pestering you, he clipper, as it is installed on your system, is broken.

Hi Scott,

there's another topic in this Forum where a guy from Evernote explained how it works.

When you install the extension, a "flag" (that's how he called it) is installed. Its function is to open that page after the extension is installed. It will open only once if you nerver clean you website data - probably your case. BUT should you, me or anybody else in the world clean the webside data from your browser, the "flag" thinks it has not opened the page, so it opens it again after you clean it.

That's bad design, the guy who did it did not put enough thinking into this job. It's just a design flaw. Like was the antenna of the iPhone 4, which, depending on how you handled the phone, would lose signal. Or the iPhone 6 Plus structure, which bends near the volume buttons if you use it on your rear pocket and sit on it sometimes. Or the batteries of the Boeing 787, which were prone to fire because designers didn't consider a plastic plane doesn't dissipate heat like an aluminium one. Bad design happens everywhere.

I think we have the right to point to it so, if someone looks at it, maybe it gets fixed.

Hello all,

Hello Evernote designers,

I have the same problem and reaction as Joseazevedo.

The Evernote page keeps popping up each time I open Safari. Worse than a bad conscience ;-)

I have no intention of abandoning the habit to clean my browsers when I leave the net.

Which means that I will not use Evernote until it is made to behave like any other decent app, i.e. remains discrete when uncalled for, particularly in browsers where one wants to navigate quickly.

Thanks to the members who have posted replies on this, because I began to wonder if I had made a bad installation.

I think there are a few challenges here. While I don't know the ins-and-outs of browser extensions, I do know they do not have the same type of privileges that standalone applications have with respect to accessing local files in the Operating System.

I suspect that for storing extension preferences and information about extension states (e.g., "have I ever been opened?" "when was the last time I have been opened?" "What was the last window I displayed?"), the only option is to store in browser cookie, since extensions don't have permission to access any other part of the computer operating system. 

This means that if you are in the habit of clearing your history and cookies every time you close your browser, you effectively remove the caches for all of you browser extensions as well. They start out thinking that this is the first time they've been executed on this system and display all their welcome information. 

Since extension state information and preferences can only ever be retained in browser cookies because they do not have permission to store data elsewhere (my assumption), I don't know if there is a workaround, aside from deciding not to blast your cookies away after every session. 

Someone with some more technical knowledge of browser extensions might be able to clarify. 

Hello again and thanks for your reactions,

But:

- I have checked the browser preferences; it is still set to use Google as start page

- Several other extensions are installed and activated in Safari and Firefox. None of them interferes in any way with the browser's start page.

So, I still believe that Evernote misbehaves because of a design problem.

• 2 months later...

Just sent Evernote a mail about this highly irritating habit of opening a page every time I start Safari.

Since this discussion was started on September 26 and Evernote hasn't done anything about it by now, December 6, it seems like they simply don't care that they offend a lot of people with this intrusive behaviour.

I have been using Evernote from the very beginning, have been a Premium subscriber for a while but will now remove Evernote's extension or any other reference to it in Safari.

After that I will send web material to Pocket instead of Evernote. 

I hope you fix this and other issues like:

- sync before quit (it was put off on the last "update")

- return of the check box at login that asks if you want to stay logged or not. This, way, we get back auto log out on quit. It could be an option on preferences, for exemple. This, also, was deleted on the last "update".

There's a topic on this I've started weeks ago.

Please, instead of creating amazing new features nobody wants or use, focus on improving performance. Microsoft's Word went up to weight more than 350MB. A word processor! Microsoft detected this and Word now has 57MB, is much faster and better to use.

I began using Evernote to save notes, and quick texts like that and have them synchronised on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. I suggest if you want it to be an all everything app to dominate the world - I state this because of the latest "updates" with new features I believe most users will never used - instead of transforming Evernote in a monster, release new apps or "add-ons" that those who want install, those who don't, keep Evernote streamlined, light and bug less.

• Level 5*

I hope you fix this and other issues like:

- sync before quit (it was put off on the last "update")

- return of the check box at login that asks if you want to stay logged or not. This, way, we get back auto log out on quit. It could be an option on preferences, for exemple. This, also, was deleted on the last "update".

There's a topic on this I've started weeks ago.

Please, instead of creating amazing new features nobody wants or use, focus on improving performance. Microsoft's Word went up to weight more than 350MB. A word processor! Microsoft detected this and Word now has 57MB, is much faster and better to use.

I began using Evernote to save notes, and quick texts like that and have them synchronised on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. I suggest if you want it to be an all everything app to dominate the world - I state this because of the latest "updates" with new features I believe most users will never used - instead of transforming Evernote in a monster, release new apps or "add-ons" that those who want install, those who don't, keep Evernote streamlined, light and bug less.

Um, Jakob is the web clipper guy. This is the web clipper forum. The people you want to talk to about the client features that you don't want to use are over in the Evernote client forum.

• 3 months later...

Looks like we're still waiting for this to be fixed, several months after 'jbignert' acknowledged a fix would be issued.  Let's hope it hasn't been forgotten??  Like others have already stated, I find this bug incredibly annoying when I open up Safari.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem a while back; if you erase all website data in Safari, you erase the Evernote cookie that lets Safari know you've already seen this, so the system shows you again. Admin told me I just had to live with it, or stop erasing history, cookies, etc.

Hello all,

Who has time and patience for this sort of hassle?

Am personally using Web Snapper now. It works fine for my purposes.

The Evernote employee who has been given the ungrateful task to defend the app on this forum has my full sympathy...

• 1 year later...

I see the last post on this topic was over a year ago. Evernote pops open overtime time I turn on my Mac. I unchecked the box in preferences to open Evernote when I log in and to keep it running in the background. How do I stop Evernote from automatically opening up on my log in? 

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, A Murgatroyd said:

I see the last post on this topic was over a year ago. Evernote pops open overtime time I turn on my Mac. I unchecked the box in preferences to open Evernote when I log in and to keep it running in the background. How do I stop Evernote from automatically opening up on my log in? 

You're posting in the Web Clipper forum - you might get a better response in the Mac forumScreen Shot 2016-10-22 at 9.33.37 AM.png

Another place to control auto start is in Apple System Preferences

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2014 at 7:55 AM, ScottLougheed said:

I didn't see that page beyond the first time I launched the clipper after the initial install.

Keep in mind too that you are using a beta operating system and browser for which evernote might not have support, and as a result you may encounter quirks,

The same thing happens on Firefox and it happens EVERY time. It's not the choice of browser. Is there a fix for this?

Evernote does not seem to be professional enough to come out with a fix. This problem has been constant for a long time, unless I am very much mistaken.

A pity, because the app is nice.

What makes me laugh is to see people talking about beta operating systems; my old Mountain Lion is certainly no youngster...;)

Good luck anyway.

Archived