Export/Syncing with MacJournal

sandieman

Idea

Just downloaded the Evernote app, and am super excited about this product.

@evernoteteam - you guys have really done an amazing job!

Want to be a hardcore Evernote user but problem is I have all my notes for last two years on MacJournal. Would like to be able to export my content from Macjournal to Evernote and just not sure howto do this?

Macjournal does allow you to export in Word, RTF, HTML, PDF but just not sure on how I could import and keep the creation date when bringing into Evernote.

This is really a barrier of entry for me and would love any thoughts or processes on howto do this?

4 replies to this idea

I think that PDF export might give you the best results for formatting as long as you don't need to edit the old notes, but I don't know of any easy ways to do this while creating notes in Evernote with the same dates as in your original app. HTML would be more portable for importing into an editable format.

I don't know what MacJournal is capable of, but I used the script here: http://www.ajmani.org/blog/?p=13 to get notes from Journler over to Evernote while preserving the dates. This worked because Journler has an option to export notes to RTF and use the entry date as the file creation date on the outputted file. The script then tells EN to import the notes using the file creation date as the entry date.

anyway, no idea if this will help you at all, and I was not the author of the script so I really can't help support it or answer any other questions about it. But I thought I'd toss it out there just in case it might help you out. The blog post has detailed instructions for using this with Journler, but maybe you can figure out a way to do something similar with MacJournal.

http://www.ajmani.org/blog/?p=13

Somewhere on this forum there is a thread about this script as well.

Sandieman,

I wrote a *very* rudimentary script that should bring over all the files in a selected journal while retaining the Creation Date.

You can download it here:

http://veritrope.com/tips/macjournal-to-evernote-batch-export-applescript

I'm not a MacJournal user, so you'll have to be my test case! Let me know if/when you encounter any bugs by posting on the Script's comment section at Veritrope.com.

Macjournal does allow you to export in Word, RTF, HTML, PDF but just not sure on how I could import and keep the creation date when bringing into Evernote.

This is really a barrier of entry for me and would love any thoughts or processes on howto do this?

@sandieman - did you try the scripts that were offered here as a solution? I am also looking to move my old notes from MacJournal to Evernote.

Further, my MacJournal notes also have attachments. And I would like to move those attachments along with those notes, with attachments embedded where they are in MacJournal notes...

Archived