Problems With Auto-Import Folders

Sudsy

I'm having trouble trying to import a number of .docx and .rtf files into Evernote Windows client (5.6.4.4632) using auto-import folders. (Windows 7 64-bit)

On my first try, about a week ago, everything went fine. I set up a special folder on my hard drive called "Export to Evernote" and a notebook called "Sorting Bin," and linked them as per instructions. Things went smoothly with files of various types, but yesterday I tried to set up another notebook/folder pair in the same way, for documents related to s specific subject. 

This time, Evernote does not seem to want to import existing files that I move into the new auto-import folder at all. If I actually create and save a file in that folder, Evernote will create a note in the proper notebook with a link to the file, rather than importing the text, graphics. etc.

I have tried shutting off my anti-virus, but that didn't help, and my usage is well below quota.

Any idea what might be going on? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Level 5*

Check Tools > Import Folders to see what folders you currently have 'live' - are they clearly different and set up correctly?  If so,  they should direct all new content to the appropriate notebook.  I'd recommend that you then set the folder to delete the original files,  otherwise new versions of the same document won't be recognised as new files. 

You should in any event be opening existing files from the note attachments and editing them there,  rather than trying to 'reimport' them via a folder. 

Creating a file in an import folder will also confuse the issue.  Evernote will try to import the initial file,  but it will be locked because you have it open in a word processor.  After that point it isn't a new file any more so will be ignored.

Import folders work pretty well if you regard them as outboxes not working folders;  once you've created a file,  move it to the import folder to add it to Evernote.

Import folders work pretty well if you regard them as outboxes not working folders;  once you've created a file,  move it to the import folder to add it to Evernote.

Thanks. This is the workflow I had in mind, and at first it seemed to be working well. I only created a document in the designated folder just now as an experiment.

I will double-check the things you suggested, though I am pretty sure I have not been doing anything differently than I had last week when everything seemed to work.

Also, I'm still puzzled why sometimes when the import process is successful, the file content is imported and other times just a link.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Just for closure's sake, next morning I got up and all the files had imported overnight without my doing anything further. I'm wondering if this is because this all happened right at the end of a usage cycle. According to the information the EN "usage" button provided, I still had plenty of quota left, but now I'm wondering if that might not have been accurate.

Guess I'll just keep experimenting. Thanks again for the response, Gazumped.

Archived