Evernote crashing every time

lwch

I am a long time, heavy Evernote users with both the Windows and Mac versions.   My MAC version works great.   I just moved to a new work laptop running Windows 7, and cannot get Evernote to stay open for more than a few minutes (saying it stays open for more than 2 minutes is being generous) before it crashes.    It starts to sync and then kablooey.   Every single time.   I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, same thing.   It worked before the migration with just a few crashes here and there, but this is plain ridiculous. :angry: 

I haven't been able to find anything in the blogs.   I'm running Windows 7, version, EN version 5.6.4.4632 .   Given all of the comments I saw regarding slow support response, I thought I would try you cadre of experts first.   Anyone have a clue?

• Level 5*

There are several things you can try.  If you're a premium user you should raise a support ticket,  and maybe try the chat option to get some tech advice.  While that's being sorted out -

• How's your upload status?  are you near your limit?  Move any unsynced notes into a temporary local notebook and sync again.  Move the notes back after the limit resets.
  • Go to Help > Activity Log on the desktop and have a look down the text - any notes come in for special mention?  They may be faulty or corrupted.  Create a new note in each case and copy/ paste the contents across.  Delete the originals.
  • Uninstall and reinstall Evernote completely - restart your system in between.
  • Export your unsynced notes and any local notebooks to separate ENEX files,  then exit Evernote completely,  backup your database somewhere safe,  and rename the original EXB file to something else.  Log back in so the server can rebuild your database.
  • Once things are back to normal re-import your notes from the ENEX files and sync again.

Hope that helps..

I'm currently in the same position. I have a new surface pro which I bought at least partly so I could have full desktop EN on a tablet. It crashes every time I get to about 300 of my notes. I've been through the support route and they have effectively said 'wait till the new version comes out' but with no hint as to when that might be.

• Level 5*

I'm currently in the same position. I have a new surface pro which I bought at least partly so I could have full desktop EN on a tablet. It crashes every time I get to about 300 of my notes. I've been through the support route and they have effectively said 'wait till the new version comes out' but with no hint as to when that might be.

See #2 above...

• Level 5*

So did that work for you? Did you manage to get a fully functioning Evernote on your new Dell?

Nope - not yet.  Just blanked and reinstalled everything for the 5th or 6th time,  documenting the steps carefully,  with error logs and screenshots when Evernote falls over.  All sent to support who say they're working on my problem,  so fingers crossed...  I'll report more when I get a result.  I'm lucky that I have a backup laptop that runs everything I need (reasonably) happily so I can work on the Dell as a sideline!

• 7 months later...

I've had the same issues - definitely see problems with Evernote Sync capabilities.   Crashes are consistent with large sync.  Their team needs to look into this or customer will leave and go to Sugar Sync or other products - this is typical data bottle neck issue.

• Level 5*

Gosh was that only 7 months ago?  I completely forgot my promise to update this thread,  and no-one reminded me until now...

The summary with the Dell is that after transplanting a copy of my database from one laptop to another (by USB) to jump-start the sync,  my Win 8.1 Dell and Win 8.0 Asus laptops now totally agree on notes,  and have been syncing regular as clockwork ever since.  Work and personal lives kind've interfered somewhat and instead of having one laptop  as a working model and another as backup I have some apps fully installed and working on one,  and others on the other,  and some (like Evernote) on both.  That leads to the occasional frustration,  but gradually the Asus has moved to be part of my desktop setup connected to multiple screens (and therefore a pain to move),  and the Dell is my portable(ish) workhorse for site visits and shmoozing by the pool.  (OK,  it's a bird bath,  but I can dream...).

@Eliza - with the latest versions of Evernote,  there's no sign (AFAIK) that there's anything endemically wrong with Evernote sync.  With 100M+ users across all platforms I think a lot of people would mention it if there was.  There's lots of help with sync problems,  which are usually down to note content or connection quality.  The basic help page is here - https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23168822 - and if that doesn't sort your problems out please post more details here..

Archived