**SCANNING DOCUMENTS** Question please

Keleia

Hi all, I'm using a Brother ADS-1000W scanner that has the capabilities to multi-scan pages into a single PDF file.  This has been wonderful, and I love that the pages are readable and in the order that I want them.  I save the PDF to my computer as a default, because I don't always need it set up to go directly into Evernote.  However, the question I have is this:  When I save a file to my computer and then "share" to Evernote, do I need to retain the original PDF file on my computer, or can I delete it and just have it in Evernote?

Thanks, I appreciate your time!

Keleia

Using Microsoft Windows 7 Professional if that even matters.  :)

The choice is yours, ultimately. You certainly can make your Evernote copies your only copies (backing up your Evernote Database, too, of course!). I do this with a the majority of my documents (with my EN database backed up locally and off-site at 15min (offsite)/1hr (local) intervals). For documents that are extremely important, totally mission critical, entirely irreplaceable, etc, I have a duplicate copy with a good name stored elsewhere for safe measure. I have never had data loss with Evernote, but I have read about it. So, in the hopes of never having to use them, I keep this alternative archive. 

There are two reasons. 

1) While you can recover Evernote databases from backups, they are not terribly human-readable, so finding that one lost file can be a bit of a slog. 

2) Never hurts to have yet another backup!

So, use your discretion! 

• Level 5*

When I save a file to my computer and then "share" to Evernote, do I need to retain the original PDF file on my computer, or can I delete it and just have it in Evernote?

It's good that you put the word "share" in quotes.  It gets thrown around a lot these days.

Scott has given you good advice.   I just wanted to clarify the "share" thing.

When you upload a file to Evernote, it is completely detached from the source file on your computer.

EN now has its own copy of your file, and you can keep or delete the file on your computer at your discretion.

I'd follow Scott's advice on this decision.  

For me, I usually keep my important files also on DropBox, although I'm thinking of moving to Wuala for better security.

But in general, the way I use Evernote and DropBox for FILES is:

• Keep ONLY in DropBox
    • Active files
    • Very Large Files
  • Keep ONLY in EN
    • Files rarely changed
    • Not too big (< 10 MB)
    • PDF Statements/records (that do not contain sensitive info)

If I have files that are important/sensitive that I want to keep and not put into any Cloud service, I put them in my NAS (Network Attached Storage).

This is a 3TB RAID-1 box.  I also use it for Archive in general, and Backup storage.

Whatever approach you choose, start slow with just a few files, and test/review the involved systems to make sure they work how you think.

IAC, you MUST have your own backup to Evernote.

Archived