Can't Re-install Evernote

I have been unable to update the evernote app on my android tablet (it was already installed and thus didn't use Google play), so when I tried to update it on google play (as it wasn't working through the browsers) it said "duplicate provider authority". I looked this up and found it
was because it was already installed, so uninstalled the tablet version, intending to re-install it from the play store.

However I now can't install it at all! The same error message of "duplicate provider authority" comes up...

Can anyone offer advice on how to get it back, as I use the app daily.

Thanks,
-EasDannsair

Might help if you could tell us which device you're using - have you tried the tablet's helpline?  This is more an Android / manufacturer problem than an Evernote one...

It's a Lenovo A8. 

Their help person had never heard of the app, hence trying here in case any of its users had found a way to fix the problem, or in case the evernote team knew of a way to change the authority around their app. 

I'm aware it's not an issue with Evernote -- but I couldn't think of any other options for asking if someone else had had this and fixed it. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  If the app was pre-installed,  I don't think your help person was very helpful.  Unfortunately I don't know of any 'uninstallers' (apps that will search for and destroy any mention of a specific app on a device) for Android.  Most hardware does have a 'reset to factory settings' option which may either blank the device entirely,  or reinstall the original version of Evernote.  If desperate you might try that - but backup your content somewhere first;  you'll lose everything that was installed on the device since you got it.

I'd recommend you have another go at Lenovo first - you bought the device with the app installed,  so it's a manufacturer's problem (presumably under warranty) if that app fails;  Evernote aren't required to support Lenovo hardware issues.

Is it feasable to use the browser version meantime?

Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to access the web version from my android (SG3). I've tried a few times and always get a message saying it's not available on my device and that I should download the Android App. (Which it directs me to.)

I've only tried this when I'm logged-in as I stay logged-in at all times. Have you ever actually used the web version on your 'droid, Gaz? If so, did you have to log-out of your app first?

Is it feasable to use the browser version meantime?

• Level 5*

Sorry - insanity reigns here;  I forgot the OP was on a mobile device.  The Evernote mobile site is so mobile it seems to be missing most of the time,  and the standard web view is so large it won't work on a small screen.  That wasn't a viable option.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I unistalled the old version of the application from Google Play but it seems it didn't uninstalled it from phone. So I went into running applications (long press the middle button on your phone) --> Click left "chart like" icon --> Click "Downloaded" and find Evernote then click "Uninstall" --> Go to Google Play and install the newest version.

It worked for me!:)

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*

I face the same problem with my Evernote on Lenovo A8, and it can be solved by 'reset to factory settings'.  But I am still can not update it from google play

Do 'factory settings' still include Evernote as a pre-installed app?  What sort of errors/ messages do you get when you try to install from Google Play?

Archived