Private Note Sharing Options?

Thanasi

Hi - I just started using Evernote and really love it so far, but I am having trouble with finding a way to share notes/notebooks privately.

Is all note/notebook sharing public where as long as someone has the link they can see it (I hope not)?

Is there a feature in which I can share notes privately. I installed the iOS and see a "private link" option there, but not in the Windows client.

Does this require a premium account?

All your help is really appreciated!

• Level 5*

Basic note sharing doesn't require a premium account.  Right click a notebook and follow the options to allow the individuals whose email address you quote (but no-one else) access to those notes.  You don't have the same level of control over a single note.

• Level 5*

Yeah - but it depends on the content;  if you share a public note link,  that note is accessible to anyone with the URL.  Provided the person you share it with doesn't pass it on there's no reason anyone should find that page amongst the trillions already available online unless they make a determined effort to search for it.  You can always switch off sharing if you think the URL has been shared on,  and re-share under a different URL (you'd have to move the note to another notebook to change it).  Best way to figure out the options is to try sharing with another account - they're free to set up and you can run two on your computer if one's in a browser and the other's the desktop app..

• Level 5*

Sounds like one notebook per external share (which will help you keep tabs on who you're sharing with) - bear in mind there's an upper limit on number of notebooks - 250 in this case.  Evernote Business users get substantially more.

• Level 5*

Ouch.  I think I missed an important memo somewhere - points to make off @Thanasi's post -

1. If someone clicks that link they'll have a choice whether to view the note in Evernote (requiring a log-in) or in a browser (which doesn't).
  2. Which means that the 'new' note links are now publicly shared notes - even if I created the link only to share with another note,  or my calendar.
  3. If you try to mail the 'Ctrl+Copy Note Link' version,  Gmail at least doesn't parse the content as a link - it's a link to a location on the local hard drive,  therefore not 'readable' by anyone else not using that hard drive.

Tested all this out and found....

1. If someone clicks that link they'll have a choice whether to view the note in Evernote (requiring a log-in) or in a browser (which doesn't).

Browser requires EN login

1. Which means that the 'new' note links are now publicly shared notes - even if I created the link only to share with another note,  or my calendar.

Created 2nd EN account. Pasted link in browser. Got this >> http://img42.com/hKlxp

If you try to mail the 'Ctrl+Copy Note Link' version,  Gmail at least doesn't parse the content as a link - it's a link to a location on the local hard drive,  therefore not 'readable' by anyone else not using that hard drive.

Tried this as well and it's a private http link as well (same as above image) >> http://img42.com/OaVo1

From what it looks like, this is a way to share individual notes privately (meaning it must be specifically opened up to the individual) unless I'm totally missing something here.

• Level 5*

Phew - my apologies to @Thanasi and to Evernote!  I have LastPass set up to log into Evernote automatically,  so when I tested the link before I was seamlessly logged in and the note popped up without any problem.  With LastPass off,  I also get the 'private note' warning.  Which now is rather cool,  and I agree a good way to share individual notes. 

I think I still prefer the sharing of notebooks however - you have a better handle on who's been given what information,  and you can manage a multi-level access:  20 users could have read access to everything,  with 5 of them having edit access forinstance.

Archived