Need Search Help

I'm new to Evernote. I downloaded it to help organize my Recipes. So far I have 2 recipes. One I took a photo of and then shared it with Evernote from my phone. When I did a search for salt, it highlighted everytime it said salt in the recipe. Then I used WebClipper to download another recipe that was online. Now when I do any searches it only shows the word salt in the second recipe. Even when I'm looking at the first recipe it doesn't work. I've tried it with the search set at Search All Notes, as well as Search Current Context. So, what am I doing wrong?

I'd also love to know if there's a way to cut off the parts (ads and extra copy) that came along when I used WebClipper. I tried the different settings (full page....) for that too.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi - getting the text content from a picture is a pretty awesome technical feat.  Evernote's search features can take advantage of that where it's possible to do so.  However note titles and tags are also important.  If you're storing recipies of various sorts you might be better off using tags to note 'serves_4' and 'salt free' if those are important to you.  Search "tag:serves_4" (without the quotes) to find all notes with that qualifier.

You can clip parts of pages by selecting text and choosing 'clip selection'...

• Level 5*

I'm new to Evernote. I downloaded it to help organize my Recipes. So far I have 2 recipes. One I took a photo of and then shared it with Evernote from my phone. When I did a search for salt, it highlighted everytime it said salt in the recipe. Then I used WebClipper to download another recipe that was online. Now when I do any searches it only shows the word salt in the second recipe. Even when I'm looking at the first recipe it doesn't work. I've tried it with the search set at Search All Notes, as well as Search Current Context. So, what am I doing wrong?

I'd also love to know if there's a way to cut off the parts (ads and extra copy) that came along when I used WebClipper. I tried the different settings (full page....) for that too.

Thanks.

Hmmm, adding the web clipping should not have affected the ability to highlight salt in the picture.  I understand that you have taken a picture on your phone and saved it to EN.  Which phone OS are you using, and are you then searching on the phone, web or from a desktop app?  Knowing a few more specifics and we should be able to help further.

As far as stripping away the extraneous junk off a webpage there are a couple of ways to do that before you save the note to EN.  The specifics depend on which web browser you are using.  Check out Evernote Clearly it helps to strip away everything but the article.  It is not perfect but does work pretty good on most sites.

I have a Galaxy S4 to take the photo. I was searching on my computer which is Windows 7, using the desktop version of EN. I noticed today that when I do the search on my computer it's not working however if I do it from the web it does work properly. So I'm guessing it has something to do with my computer or desktop version. Not sure how to decide which is the problem.

I will check out Evernote Clearly.

• Level 5*

When you search on the Windows 7 system does it find the note but is just not highlighting the word in the image, or is not finding the note at all?  Just to make sure you have no search criteria set click All Notes before searching and see if that changes anything.  Last thought if none of that works is to try the latest Windows beta if you haven't already

Archived