New! Quick Note Widget on your iOS Device

• Ex Employees

With the Evernote widget, you can create notes from the Today View in the Notification center, even on a locked screen. Without needing to launch the Evernote app itself, you can now create new notes, save locally-viewed content such as web pages, photos, and audio recordings.

IMG_0014.PNG?resizeSmall&width=832

The Evernote widget comes installed with Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPad Touch on version 7.5+ running iOS 8. The widget is not automatically enabled, so you’ll need to follow these steps to add it to the Notification Center on your device:

1. Enable ‘Access on Lock Screen' on your iOS device

• Go to iOS Settings > Control Center and enable ‘Access on Lock Screen'

2. Edit the notification center settings

• Swipe down from the top edge of the screen to bring up notifications in the ‘Today’ view

• Scroll down to the bottom of the screen, tap Edit, then tap + to add to the ’Today View’ list (tap and drag Evernote up and down to change the order it appears in the notifications list)

You will need to run 7.5.0 at least once before the widget or extension will show up as an option in the menu. If you can’t see Evernote as an option after tapping More from the share panel or in the ‘Edit’ section of the notification center, make sure the device is unlocked, and you have started the Evernote app since upgrading. 

How about an option to display any "ToDo" notes with today's date?  Then Evernote can take the place of the "Reminders" widget that comes with iOS for those of us who use Evernote exclusively to manage to-dos (as well as general notes).

What am I missing? Whenever I press any of the buttons I have to key in my PIN before I can proceed.

Its for security reasons. If you do anything on the lock screen, then you will have to put in your pin on an iphone/ipad.

The pin security isn't working for me. I can swipe down from the lock screen, tap one of the icons in the Evernote widget to launch Evernote, and press the home button to exit to the app launcher. It never asks for the pin to be entered. Using this method anyone could access the contents of my phone without authenticating.

I'm using an iPhone 4S with iOS 8.0.2 (12A405)

How about an option to display any "ToDo" notes with today's date?  Then Evernote can take the place of the "Reminders" widget that comes with iOS for those of us who use Evernote exclusively to manage to-dos (as well as general notes).

I agree- having Reminders show up in the notifications screen would be very handy indeed!

2 proposals to make this a more useful function:

1. I'd like to configure a different standard notebook for notes with notifications created with the widget, e.g. ToDo.

2. Please add an own section for notes with notifications on the startcreen, like notebooks, notes and favorites.

For me, EN should consider creatng a separate calendar within iOS that could have a different colour and thus sync with all other available in iOS. This calendar would be fed from EN alerts only, enabling the user to have a rich calendar (icloud, exchange, birthdays, custom, EN) in one place that would sync accross all devices, even outlook

I'd also like to see Reminders displayed in the iOS Notification Center. I want to integrate Evernote more into how I planning/scheduling my time. Reminders are a great feature, but their effectiveness is somewhat limited for me because they don't integrate into other iOS features that I use to check my schedule.

I'd also like to see Reminders displayed in the iOS Notification Center. I want to integrate Evernote more into how I planning/scheduling my time. Reminders are a great feature, but their effectiveness is somewhat limited for me because they don't integrate into other iOS features that I use to check my schedule.

I just discovered that Reminders do display in the Notification Center if I haven't opened Evernote since the Reminder arrived (i.e., when a number badge appears on the Evernote app icon on the home screen.

The problem I have is that if I'm unable to address the Reminder immediately it's easy for me to forget about it because it doesn't remain in the Notification Center.

• 1 month later...

I like the widget and prefer to keep it on, but I don't want previews of my notes displayed on the lock screen. Some of my notes are personal, and I don't really want them displayed in the Notification Center, much less on the lock screen, where anyone who picks up my phone can see them even if it's locked.

Is there a way to turn off the note previews for the widget? I might be mistaken, but I don't think earlier versions of the widget had the previews. It's a liability, and I have to start thinking of what the first couple of lines of my notes look like, and wondering who might see my locked phone when I am writing a note. It hobbles my creativity and slows me down.

I'm not able to locate a setting that lets me turn these previews off. If it's not currently possible, I'd like to suggest this be added to a forthcoming update. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

You said, "Without opening the app you can create new notes"….whenever I click the "text" note from the notification center, it opens the app...does yours not do this?

I, too, am confused as every time I click "text" from the notification center, the Evernote application opens. It would be very cool if one could actually type in the notification center directly. As it stands now, prior to this, the steps for me were:

1. Tap home button to power up iPhone

2. Swipe to unlock

3. Tap on Evernote app (in my most frequently used row)

4. Tap on Text button

5. Start typing note

With this widget, the steps are:

1. Tap home button to power up iPhone

2. Swipe down to access notification center

3. Tap on Text button

4. Start typing note

It really only saves one step and it still opens the Evernote application. I'm still on the search for the fastest way to add a quick note into my system. I'd really like to do steps 1 and 2, but then just click in a small text box embedded in the widget and start typing. The easier it is to add a note, the more likely I'm to use Evernote.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived