All my notes are gone

Bear65

Idea

13 replies to this idea

When you log into http://www.evernote.com, do you see your notes there? If so, everything is still safe. I recommend perhaps logging out of Evernote on your Mac and logging back in to see if that sets the sync straight. Ensure that you aren't accidentally logging into a secondary account or  creating a secondary account (easy enough to do when you think you're logging in but really you're "signing up"!)

Reinstalling from a dload from the web. It says a mac app version was found, so now it says it's copying notes, and this seems to be taking forever. I have no idea where my previous version of evernote came from ( app store or somewhere else ) 

Well your computer has told you where your original version came from, the App Store. No ambiguity about that. 

Evernote tries its best to navigate the problems associated with downloading both app store and direct versions, but really proper user case is required to make this work properly. 

In all cases, but especially if you are switching sources for where you download the application, a proper uninstall is necessary. See directions for how to switch from the App Store version to the Direct version (which I recommend doing for a number of reasons):

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

Doing a proper uninstall will help prevent any complications. 

Your notes aren't gone if they are available on the web, which you say they are. Nothing is lost. You are just having issues with the Mac client, and it sounds like the issue has to do with synchronizing. This sounds very frustrating. 

Can you launch the Evernote client (Direct or App Store, whichever happens to be installed. If you've installed both simultaneously, then UNINSTALL both FULLY, and re-install ONLY ONE. I recommend the direct download). 

In the Evernote client, select Help>Activity Log

This will bring up a window that will show a log of what's going on behind the scenes, including syncing. Is there anything in that log that might hint to you why syncing isn't working properly? You can also paste the contents here too (after ensuring no private information is contained within it) and some of us might be able to identify the problem. 

I know you have already tried these things but can you confirm/try a few other things?

1) Ensure you are using EXACTLY the same username and password to log into the Mac client. 

2) When you are uninstalling, are you also removing the local database? Uninstall the app as you have, then also follow the directions in this knowledge base article for how to force Evernote to re-download your notes from their servers:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23172211

Have you done #2? It involves more than just dragging the Evernote.app file to the trash. 

I don't meant o sound pedantic, but I can only go on the information you have provided so I don't know for sure what "completely uninstalled" means to you, and things like that. 

If you are a premium user, I'd also encourage you to contact Evernote Support (link is in my signature). 

I am indeed removing what is in the library folder before trying to reinstall. Jackolicious told me to upgrade to the newest version of mac OSX, which I did. Still the same thing is happening. When I try to re install the web version I keep getting "App Store Installation Detected

A Mac App Store installation of Evernote has been detected. Evernote needs to make a new copy of your notes. This may take up to several minutes if you have a large account."

Then it says it starts copying notes, and then just hangs there like that. 

I think i'm about out of ideas... The only thing I can possibly think of is that some component from the app store installation, which stores its database in a very different location, is still lingering, and that's why it keeps trying to copy notes over. 

Other than that I'm not sure I have much else to contribute. Sorry! 

I think i'm about out of ideas... The only thing I can possibly think of is that some component from the app store installation, which stores its database in a very different location, is still lingering, and that's why it keeps trying to copy notes over. 

Other than that I'm not sure I have much else to contribute. Sorry! 

Yea that is my thinking as well. Seems to be something with the app store version. I wish I had not installed that version. I think I just clicked on a link online that opened the app store application and I didn't realize it. Thanks for trying though. 

Ok, I fixed it. All it took was getting the utility called app cleaner. I had to reinstall the mac app version, and I used app cleaner to un install that. App cleaner removes a lot of files related to evernote. Moving the icon to the trash is definitely not an uninstall at all. 

Then I re dloaded the web version of evernote and installed it. This time I did not get that "A Mac App Store installation of Evernote has been detected" message and the web version installed succesfully. 

Here is what I would suggest to others.

1) Do not install the mac store version of evernote on your mac. All my notes randomly vanished and it cannot be removed without app cleaner. You have to be careful because some links on the web to dload evernote actually just open the mac app store. 

2) If you do run into this problem, get app cleaner and uninstall the mac store version, then reinstall the version from the web. 

Thanks for your assistance. 

Archived