How to find unsynced evernote files in system drive

My laptop crashed during windows update and won't restart. I've been through all the steps but it looks like I will have to reinstall windows. I don't save anything on the computer, but I had not synced evernote when it happened and I lost a script I'd been working on for work. So, I bought an external case for the system drive and plugged it into another computer. I can get in and see everything that was on the system drive now, but I can't find the actual "notes" that were in evernote. Is there a way to find them, and if so, are they titled the same as what I called them in evernote? 

My laptop crashed during windows update and won't restart. I've been through all the steps but it looks like I will have to reinstall windows. I don't save anything on the computer, but I had not synced evernote when it happened and I lost a script I'd been working on for work. So, I bought an external case for the system drive and plugged it into another computer. I can get in and see everything that was on the system drive now, but I can't find the actual "notes" that were in evernote. Is there a way to find them, and if so, are they titled the same as what I called them in evernote? 

The Windows client stores notes in a SQL database (I think it's MySQL).  The file name is your-user-name.exb.  Someone who's fairly computer savvy, should be able to figure out how to read it.  However, if the exb file was damaged due to the crash, it may be that the data cannot be read from the file.

Good luck.

• Level 5*

..and if you can find an .exb file you could always try reinstalling Evernote (when your computer is fixed,  or on another machine) and replacing the new and empty .exb file with your old data - you may find that all your notes are back.  

Ok, so I got my husband's super old laptop that feels like it's going to burn my hands off when I type on it, installed evernote and turned off the automatic sync and the internet access, just in case. I then tried to change the location of the local evernote files to see if that would do anything, but it didn't. I'm just not sure how to open an .exb file in evernote. I found one that I think may be the one but I'm not sure what to do with it. How exactly would I replace the new exb file with the old data?

• Level 5*

Ok, so I got my husband's super old laptop that feels like it's going to burn my hands off when I type on it, installed evernote and turned off the automatic sync and the internet access, just in case. I then tried to change the location of the local evernote files to see if that would do anything, but it didn't. I'm just not sure how to open an .exb file in evernote. I found one that I think may be the one but I'm not sure what to do with it. How exactly would I replace the new exb file with the old data?

If you've found the exb file from your old crashed laptop it should be in a folder something like <external drive>:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote.

You need to be logged out of the Evernote app installed on your husband's laptop.  

On the local hard drive there will be a similar folder - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote.  

Rename that file to something else - give it a 'bxe' ending so Evernote can't find it,  then copy your external drive exb file here in its place.

If you then log into Evernote with your own user name and password (with sync and internet restored) you should be able to see the content,  unless the crash has corrupted the data file in some way.

If you do get in and can see your content,  sync with the server to copy the data and when you exit Evernote,  make another copy of the synced exb file as a backup.

If copying the exb file across doesn't work,  try moving all the other files in that folder too.  Rename the whole folder on your husbands machine to something else - 'original files' maybe and then copy the whole folder from your old hard drive across.

Good luck!

Archived