CTRL + Up / Down Arrows

soljae

I rely extensively on keyboard shortcuts for navigating. I can't seem to get CTRL + Up / Down to navigate like it does in any other program. (EDIT: I expect it to go to the Prev / Next Paragraph, but it doesn't do anything, though CTRL + Left / Right go to the Prev / Next Word.)

I'm on a MacBook Pro, using Windows 7, on Evernote 5.4. (EDIT: It hasn't changed anything to update to 5.6.) 

• Level 5*

I'm confused; you're using the Windows Evernote client on your Mac, as opposed to the normal Mac client?

Anyways, the Windows client I am using, on my Windows 7 machine, does honor the Ctrl+Up/Down arrows as expected (they scroll the content in the window without losing cursor location).

On Bootcamp. I use both OS X and Windows for different purposes on my one machine.

Also, your description of the CTRL + up/down function seems off, since even on my old Windows machines, holding down CTRL made it so that the cursor skips up/down to the prev/next paragraph.

I'm fairly certain that's the default behavior on most Windows programs dealing with text.

Regardless, there should be no reason the paragraph cursor skip doesn't work in Evernote when it does in Windows on my Mac.

• Level 5*

Also, your description of the CTRL + up/down function seems off, since even on my old Windows machines, holding down CTRL made it so that the cursor skips up/down to the prev/next paragraph.

I'm fairly certain that's the default behavior on most Windows programs dealing with text.

I don't believe that there's any one convention for Ctrl+Up/Down, even in Microsoft's own UI controls. In an edit box, it is Previous/Next Paragraph (which is what you want), and MS Word does that as well. In other contexts (Tree View), it's scroll the view while retaining the current selection. And then there's a similar one: scroll the view while retaining the current cursor location: I see this behavior in a number of programs: Visual Studio, Notepad++, Beyond Compare (all text-based developer tools).

Curiously, the Thunderbird mail client uses the convention of "Do nothing at all". 

Regardless, there should be no reason the paragraph cursor skip doesn't work in Evernote when it does in Windows on my Mac.

If they've chosen one convention over the other, then that might be reason enough. It's possible that they didn't specifically make the choice, but rather just inherit the default behavior from the editor tool that they use. None of this is to say that paragraph navigation shortcuts wouldn't be useful, only that different conventions are available, and there's precedent for using the one that you're seeing in Evernote.

Ah, crucial omission: ctrl+up/down isn't doing anything for me whatsoever.

As for your last remark, I'll retract my overstatement that all text-based programs follow the prev/next paragraph behavior.

I do find it odd that EN text edit functions that way for you though. Why that? Isn't that basically what scroll lock is for?

• Level 5*

Ah, crucial omission: ctrl+up/down isn't doing anything for me whatsoever.

Yeah, I got that. I just assumed that it was a Parallels thing...

As for your last remark, I'll retract my overstatement that all text-based programs follow the prev/next paragraph behavior.

I do find it odd that EN text edit functions that way for you though. Why that? Isn't that basically what scroll lock is for?

Like I say, there are multiple conventions. Some come from the OS, but others because they are useful for some people. As far as Scroll Lock goes, some people don't like modal keys; Caps Lock and Num Lock are perhaps more well-known examples. I myself disable Caps lock on my keyboards. If I want a capital letter, I just press Shift and type it. If I want to scroll up, I use Ctrl_Up. Oh, and some keyboards don't have Scroll Lock.

Archived