Evernote Lifeline

Hi Everyone,

I've been using Evernote for some time now, but i'm pretty sure i'm only scratching its surface in terms of functionality. Recently, i've been craving some way to document my past. Yes, I could write a simple list in Word, but I wondered if there was any kind of purpose built plug-in/app/functionality for Evernote that would aid in creating some kind of lifeline in an attractive way - that I could build over time with important, or indeed not so important, life events. I've often struggled to recall when I bought my first car; when that trip to Egypt actually was; who I was dating in 1997..! It would be great if there was something out there purpose built (maybe even a template) that I can dip into and build up over time, as and when things come to me, but not a journal necessarily to start now, but one that I can build about my history. Evernote seems like the perfect platform for it. Is it out there?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.day3creations.co.uk

Hi Everyone,

I've been using Evernote for some time now, but i'm pretty sure i'm only scratching its surface in terms of functionality. Recently, i've been craving some way to document my past. Yes, I could write a simple list in Word, but I wondered if there was any kind of purpose built plug-in/app/functionality for Evernote that would aid in creating some kind of lifeline in an attractive way - that I could build over time with important, or indeed not so important, life events. I've often struggled to recall when I bought my first car; when that trip to Egypt actually was; who I was dating in 1997..! It would be great if there was something out there purpose built (maybe even a template) that I can dip into and build up over time, as and when things come to me, but not a journal necessarily to start now, but one that I can build about my history. Evernote seems like the perfect platform for it. Is it out there?

Thanks in advance!

What you are really asking is if there is a way to use Evernote as a journal. Yes, there is.

For each day that you want to record create a new note. Make sure the title is good and/or consistent. You can also create a tag or tags that you attach to each note.

If you want to record events further back & don't remember the exact dates, then just create a note for each week, month or even year of that period. Do whatever you like.

If you want a journal-specific app you can use The Journal.It is very good, versatile & highly customisable. It allows import of Evernote notes.

Here is the link: http://www.davidrm.com/.

Good luck.

• Level 5*

In Evernote, use a tag to denote notes that you would want in your lifeline; how about "Lifeline"? And use the Created date to mark the date of the event (you can create events later on, and change the Created Date as needed). Then when you want to look at your lifeline in Evernote, filter on your "Lifeline" tag, and sort by created date.

That would be about as basic as it gets.

Edit:

A slight elaboration on this scheme: use tags that have a prefix of "Lifeline" that have suffixes that specify specific categories, e.g. "Lifeline-LoveLife", "Lifeline-Work", "Lifeline-Music", etc., whatever lifeline threads you want to track. That way you can find everything via "tag:Lifeline*", or home in on specific lifelines...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance!

I keep things like this in EN & tag them journal.  Some are typed notes as I think of them.  Some were migrated from prior PIM apps, used over the years.  Some are a result of scanning pictures, documents, business cards, etc as I've gone more & more paperless over the years.  IMO, no need for a separate app. 

Archived