What happened to tags? No, no, no!

Pegasys

The way it USED to work:

When I selected "Click to add tags" and typed a character, ONLY THOSE TAGS which started with that character displayed in the drop-down list. So if I had 1-Today as a tag, I'd only need to type "1" and 1-Today would show in the drop-down list. I'd use my arrow to select the tag and it was really really fast and uncluttered. 

The way it works NOW (current version 4.6.4.4632):

When I select "Click to add tags" and type a character, ALL TAGS that include the character is displayed in the drop-down list. So if I have "Errand" as a tag, and I type "E" - every tag which includes the letter "E" is displayed in the drop-down list. This significantly changes my workflow. 

To add insult to injury, the tag dropdown list is sorted alphabetically, so the very tag I am searching for may now be far down the list. Instead of having Errand at the top of the list, I see !Tuesday and other tags which I have carefully set up for sorting purposes. This means I now have to type nearly the whole tag in order to display it. Not only that, but using the arrow key to quickly select the tag doesn't really work; it seems to add a new tag instead of selecting the existing tag. 

Dear Evernote developers: We set up systems and habits using Evernote; we have our workflows carefully set up to make things easier and more productive. If you go changing something so integrated into the system, PLEASE make it an OPTION or a SETTING. E.g. have a setting "Show all tags using letter in dropdown?" I am a premium customer and I want to be able to know that I'm not going to have to redo things when an update rolls along. 

• Level 5*

Pegasys, I couldn't agree with you more.  Over the last year or so, the Evernote UI designers have made some very bad choices IMO.

I don't think they understand your point:  " We set up systems and habits using Evernote; we have our workflows carefully set up to make things easier and more productive. "

The Evernote designers have made changes and dropped features that greatly impact our workflow.

These changes, which come without any notice (not in the Release Notes), have made Evernote much less useful.

• Level 5*

Pegasys, I couldn't agree with you more.  Over the last year or so, the Evernote UI designers have made some very bad choices IMO.

I don't think they understand your point:  " We set up systems and habits using Evernote; we have our workflows carefully set up to make things easier and more productive. "

The Evernote designers have made changes and dropped features that greatly impact our workflow.

These changes, which come without any notice (not in the Release Notes), have made Evernote much less useful.

Indeed. It makes me wonder just how many EN employees (and in particular, developers) actually use EN as their own personal information manager.

Wouldn't they experience similar unpleasant surprises? Unless they are getting more (i.e., any) advance notice via internal release notes?

• Level 5*

Oh man. This is awful. I sure hope they turn this around, because this is a huge wrench in the workflow of many even moderately power EN users. I could understand if it pulled all the tags with the character in question -- if it put those that start with it first (for example, typing "2" would pull up "2014trip", "2014project", "vacation2014" in that specific order). That could be handy -- but not this method. 

• Level 5*

I can deal with a view that says I will present you with all tags that contain what you are typing, no mater where they exist with the tag.  May not agree with it for tag selection, but okay another view of how to present things.  What I cannot accept is that when you click on one of those tags presented in the drop down you DON"T get that tag, you get a tag of the string of letters you entered.  That is just bad practice, some simple testing that is not happening.  That is of course that it is okay to assume that if you click on a tag you will get that tag.  Heady assumption I know.

Archived