Printing the list of notes in a notebook

Maybe a little off topic... but there may just be a way for people to test out the notebook within a notebook within a notebook structure (and to see if it may in fact really be of any practical value to them) - simply by creating a table of contents for each notebook, and then copy-pasting those lists into an outliner, such as WorkFlowy. Of course, the note links are not retained, but this is a super quick way to get all of the note titles into WorkFlowy... and organize individual lists to your heart's content. One of two possibilities: one may find outlining structures (notebook hierarchies beyond stacks and notebooks) to be too unwieldy for Evernote's current purpose in their lives... or one may finally have some sort of a semblance of what a notebook-based hierarchy (as opposed to a tag-based hierarchy) could look like. Oh, the possibilities...

• Level 5*

Maybe a little off topic... but there may just be a way for people to test out the notebook within a notebook within a notebook structure (and to see if it may in fact really be of any practical value to them) - simply by creating a table of contents for each notebook, and then copy-pasting those lists into an outliner, such as WorkFlowy. Of course, the note links are not retained, but this is a super quick way to get all of the note titles into WorkFlowy... and organize individual lists to your heart's content. One of two possibilities: one may find outlining structures (notebook hierarchies beyond stacks and notebooks) to be too unwieldy for Evernote's current purpose in their lives... or one may finally have some sort of a semblance of what a notebook-based hierarchy (as opposed to a tag-based hierarchy) could look like. Oh, the possibilities...

Workflowy understands hyperlinks,  so I don't see why the paste strips out the links,  but even so the title is eminently searchable.  A hierarchy of topics index might be handyif you need that sort of thing.  I'm too lazy to keep it up to date though - add a note,  or delete one,  and you either need a whole new TOC,  or you update the hierarchy manually with that one note title.

Workflowy understands hyperlinks,  so I don't see why the paste strips out the links,  but even so the title is eminently searchable.  A hierarchy of topics index might be handyif you need that sort of thing.  I'm too lazy to keep it up to date though - add a note,  or delete one,  and you either need a whole new TOC,  or you update the hierarchy manually with that one note title.

Hmmm, as far as I can tell, WorkFlowy doesn't seem to work with embedded links the way a Word document would, for instance.

Either way, the idea would not really need to involve having links that one could follow, because there's not a chance in hell that I would actually try to access my Evernote database from WorkFlowy. It seems counterproductive, especially, as you mentioned, having to update the TOC's from time to time... and the fact that the content within the actual notes is not searchable (because it doesn't exist in WorkFlowy). The idea was simply for tinkering - to get some sort of a feel for what a Notebook-based hierarchy might look like within Evernote... and to either give up on the notion that Evernote should in fact make this a possibility... or to be more convinced than ever that one is missing out on something earth-shattering. It's the closest one might get to actually getting a hands-on feel rather than imagining what a nested notebook concoction might look like... unless there is some 3rd party Evernote app that can actually do this. 

WorkFlowy allows one the ability to shuffle TOC lists (notebooks) around until it mimicks a Dropbox-like folder within a folder system. Just for testing, nothing further. Simply for curiosity's sake. I'll be tinkering with this in the days to come. At this stage I have only pasted a few EN Notebook TOC's. After I read about the TOC solution to printing out a list of notebooks, the idea occurred to me. Even though the note content is not searchable in this roundabout testing scenario, it is really the structure that I'm after. I'm quite happy with the options we currently have in EN. I just thought it would be an interesting experiment since we hear a lot of woes about the lack of such a possibility. 

• Level 5*

I've used a utility called SysExporter for this purpose in the past, by Nirsoft at .http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/sysexp.html.  A bit rudimentary, but it enables you got grab the information that is in list view (it picks up whatever columns you are displaying for all notes in your context) and save it to Excel, Word, or just a text file.  FWIW.

Archived