I really want to delete an entry forever from everywhere - can I?

I did a search before posing but didn't find anything, so please forgive if this has been answered in an obscure topic.

I accidentally made an entry in a notebook containing some very sensitive information. I deleted it. When I emptied the trash I noticed that emptying could be undone. How do I delete an entry forever from everywhere within the Evernotisphere?

If you delete it from the trash it is gone. If the note was in a synched notebook, you should also sync afterwards so it gets deleted from Evernote's server.

After synching, go to the Evernote web version to ensure it is gone from that notebook. If not (sometimes synching does not work well), delete it manually from there.

Now it should be gone for good.

• Level 5

Deleting "Everywhere" is a big issue. There are all those copies of Evernote backups, but I presume that is not a concern or the reason for the question.

DutchPete's answer is correct in most cases. Delete from trash and Syncing is the key.

But keep in mind that if you delete some sensitive information from a portion of a note, you can continue to see that deleted sensitive information (using the Evernote Web Info >View History command). Just look for a copy of the note before the deletion occurred. This option is available to Premium users. The History Note data seems to be stored in the Evernote cloud. From what I understand, even a Free user who upgrades to Premium for just one month can see their past Note History information.

However, I don't know of a way to see a completely deleted note in the Note History, but I am just a simple user of the program. 

I wonder if a deleted note could be retrieved from Note History. I have not seen anything definitive from an Evernote employee about this possibility.

Hi JB2,

Yes, I realize how difficult to delete something completely from everywhere, eg, google, inyourFacebook, dropbox, etc. Thus my question. This ain't my first rodeo in the cloud - this is a big issue everywhere once your bits leave your LAN. I don't even do backups anymore since I know the NSA has one in Utah. I just haven't figured how to do the restore yet ;-)

Thanks for the helpful reply.

• Level 5*

If you delete it from the trash it is gone. If the note was in a synched notebook, you should also sync afterwards so it gets deleted from Evernote's server.

After synching, go to the Evernote web version to ensure it is gone from that notebook. If not (sometimes synching does not work well), delete it manually from there.

I assume a similar process is in effect for notes you want to remove from cloud storage and want to store locally? I.e., move note from synced notebook to local notebook, followed by a sync. Confirm via EN website app.

I assume a similar process is in effect for notes you want to remove from cloud storage and want to store locally? I.e., move note from synced notebook to local notebook, followed by a sync. Confirm via EN website app.

As far as i know , yes. But it is always best to check via the web version too, just to make sure.

Archived