Evernote Android Opens to a Black Screen

I have Evernote (not premium) on my Android phone running Gingerbread. I also have Evernote running on an Android wifi tablet. When I open Evernote on the phone it always opens to a black screen ane either crashes after a few minutes or after three to five minutes opens to my Evernote notes. On the tablet - which is wifi only and with or without a wifi connection - it always opens immediately to my notes. This is the only app that does this on my phone. It does it on the phone whether the phone is set to my carrier's data (4G) or to wifi.  No other app on the phone does this.

This makes Evernote on my phone pretty much useless. I wanted to use it to take quick memos and reminders but it takes so long to open to create or view a note that its use is far from practical. I cannot understand why this is happening as it starts immediately on the tablet with no data connection at all or set to wifi. As I understand how Evernote works my notes are on the device offline as well as in the cloud so that they may be acessed and created when no data service is present - they are on my tablet - so why does this happen on the phone?

Is there some setting in Evernote that I am missing? 

Is there something that I can set to not have the phone try to sync with Evernote every time I open the app?

Any help would be appreciated. I certainly would not upgrade to Evernote premium if I do not see it work properly on my phone first.

Thanks to all for any help you may offer!

Hi,

Your Android phone relies on a temporary drive, called Cache, to store a copy of your EN database. Without a Premium account, you cannot store local notebooks indefinitely. Your cache drive will eventually clear itself, with ir without your direction. If you have a Mac or Window machine, I recommend you save Sync to the EN Servers and save a copy of your database to your hardrive as back-up. It's a hit and miss kind of thing as to whether or not you can count on being able to pull up copies of any note on a free account.

Also, mobile apps only store Headers, which means the title and a snippet of the note. When you open one while connected to the internet, it quickly pulls a full copy of the most recently Synced version down to your phone. As I said, it's possible your phone's Cache drive will store *copies* of your full database so you can access them while offline, but there is no guarantee with a free account.

However, I've not heard of anyone getting a black screen that then crashes. Hopefully someone else might be able to chime in and help. You could try opening a Support Ticket, but if, or when, you'll get a response is unknown. Full tech support for free accounts has recently changed.

Good luck!

• Level 5*

As Wordsgood says,  only the headers download on free accounts - if you upgrade to Premium,  it's possible to select 'offline searching' for individual notebooks,  and the notes will be downloaded to the device as long as you have enough internal storage.  As far as the BSOD is concerned - have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

If this all was happening on both the wifi tablet and the data carrier phone I would understand that it may be the cache is not saved and it has to reload the notebooks everytime (of which three are only four and a total of maybe 7 notes all together. But on the tablet with no connection at all this does not happen - all of the notes come up as does Evernote open up to its screen immediately. On a phone with 4G data the app should be working better than it does.

• Level 5*

If this all was happening on both the wifi tablet and the data carrier phone I would understand that it may be the cache is not saved and it has to reload the notebooks everytime (of which three are only four and a total of maybe 7 notes all together. But on the tablet with no connection at all this does not happen - all of the notes come up as does Evernote open up to its screen immediately. On a phone with 4G data the app should be working better than it does.

Don't know how or where the app draws the line,  but downloading of notes is definitely defaulted to off in phones because of their (normally) limited storage.

Archived