Why are exported notes all in images and not text ?

I tried to export some of my text notes with the same tag, set the output to HTML, MHT... but all of them appeared to be embedded in an image. Why is that ?

Say if the output is set to be .enex , then if there is a chance I would like to import back, would the tags structure be reserved ?

Thanks !

• Level 5*

If you want to output and re-import your notes,  export to Enex.  Check the options on the way - you can switch various items on and off.  Tags by default is,  for some reason,  defaulted to 'off'.  Switch it on to preserve your tags.

Also, just for further clarification...

Here's a copy of note from Christopher Mayo's (a.k.a. Grumpy Monkey here on the forum).public Notebook with useful tips and tricks. I've also included a link to his website. Unfortunately, he's stopped maintaining the notebook I'm referring after EN abruptly yanked Sharing of Public Notebooks without warning, then restored it after much outcry here. However, the restoration came with* a cryptic caveat that they were restoring it "for now" - but no further clarification of if and when it or other features are going to again be yanked or so radically altered that they are no longer useful for users who might be relying on the feature(s) in question, with zero advance notice to users.

Exporting and Importing Notes

1) Select the notes you want to export (CMD + a if you want everything).

2) Select "Export" in the menu

3) Export as HTML (web pages) or .enex (Evernote format). The HTML pages are best for long term backup or migration into another app. The .enex file is best for short-term Evernote backup. You can re-import these again later if you would like, though the .enex file will work best. Please note that the notebook organization will be lost, but for the .enex file the tags will remain.

If you can work with a simple organizational system, I recommend no notebooks and tags, because that will make your data easily portable.

Grumpy Monkey's personal website that contains many other useful tips and How To's:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?cat=7/

If you want to output and re-import your notes, export to Enex. Check the options on the way - you can switch various items on and off. Tags by default is, for some reason, defaulted to 'off'. Switch it on to preserve your tags.

• Level 5*

Err, what am I missing here ? Everyone seems to conveniently ignore the fact that Evernote exports thousands of text notes into thousands of images and slabs them into an "HTML file".

Really ?

Well the image question didn't seem to be the OP's major worry - he wants to re-import files;  and which bit of 'export to html' or 'export to enex' is a surprise? Those have been the options since I started using the app..

• Level 5*

I tried to export some of my text notes with the same tag, set the output to HTML, MHT... but all of them appeared to be embedded in an image. Why is that ?

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If you export to HTML, you will get a resulting HTML file. Anything that's text in your note will remain as text; images and attachments will be written to disk and attached to the HTML. I don't see any text "embedded in an image". What kind of images are you talking about? JPGs? PNGs? I don't get this at all.

Say if the output is set to be .enex , then if there is a chance I would like to import back, would the tags structure be reserved ?

Tags will be preserved, however tag structure is not, I believe. Also, Notebook name is not preserved in either .ENEX file or HTML files; so you'd want to export on a notebook-by-notebook basis if you want that information.

Err, what am I missing here ? Everyone seems to conveniently ignore the fact that Evernote exports thousands of text notes into thousands of images and slabs them into an "HTML file".

Really ?

Evernote exports notes as I describe above: it does not export "thousands of text notes into thousands of images". No-one is conveniently forgetting anything; we're just trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

On the other hand, if you export a group of notes as a single HTML file, yes, they all go into the single HTML file. Ditto, the MHT archive option. If you export them as multiple web pages, you get one HTML file (and associated attachments folder) per note, plus one Table of Contents HTML file that links to the individual HTML files..

Archived