How Do I Delete Reminder at the Top of Notes List?

Hello all,

I mistakenly clicked the reminder icon in one of my notes and now an annoying "Reminders" section has appeared at the top of my notes list. I've tried to make the section disappear, to no avail. I marked the reminder as completed, I clicked the little timer icon on and off -- neither of these two things got rid of the "Reminders" section or the note filed in it. First, how can I get rid of the section? Second, how can I prevent the de-selected reminded note from appearing in the section?

Thanks...

• Level 5*

You didn't say which Evernote client you are using - Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, web, etc.

The Reminders section are usually at least collapsible on all Evernote clients, but that won't make it entirely disappear.

To remove the reminder on Windows, I would right-click on the note, and select "Clear Reminder". You can also do this in the note editor: there's a blue icon at the top right of the editor that's for reminder-y stuff: click it, and select "Clear Reminder".

• 5 months later...

Same problem as original poster.

Seriously...I do I get rid of this gibberish?

I accidentally hit the wrong button and now I've got this "reminders" section that I'll never in a million years use and the Evernote UI is so shite that I have to come here to post something to figure out how to get rid of it.

Yosemite OS.

My gahd Evernote ProductManagement is a disaster.

Have you cleared the Reminder? If you don't have any active then you shouldn't see the section.

(Don't think this is that hard to figure out...)

lol check out this thread

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38778-can-you-deleteclearremove-a-reminder/

lots of people think this is a terrible feature with a terrible UI

here is a quote which sentiment I share:

"The longer I use Evernote, the more I am starting to resent it and this Reminder feature is a great example why...."

• Level 5*

Funny, I like reminders quite a lot. Use them at work every day. I find them simple to use.

I noticed that the referred thread actually had relatively few posts, relative to say, the Nested Notebooks Gang. Poor choice. It's not "lots of people", and I'm not including MiMo's sub-discussion, who didn't actually understand how to use Evernote properly, and admitted as such when given an explanation.

Anyways, here's the thing: don't like Reminders? Don't use them. Got a suggestion for making them better? Make it.Yammering about how it's a "disaster" and "shite" adds nothing to the conversation. And of course, without knowing what you actually did, it's difficult to tell you how to fix your problem.

• Level 5*

Yeah, I don't use Reminders and they don't cause me enough pain and anger to set up a forum account with a slightly angry name and start posting about how terrible they are.

Have you actually found a bug that is preventing you from not displaying the Reminder panel? Or were you simply unable to figure out how not to show it?

• Level 5*

I did make a suggestion.  My suggestion is to remove them.  It's a bloat-ware feature, and it's poorly implemented to boot.

We covered that one already: "don't like Reminders? Don't use them."

• 1 month later...

I agree.  This was badly thought-out.  Blithely throwing reminders at the top of the UI when the whole point of Evernote is surfing your data, well that is a bad design choice.  On a laptop that small space is very annoying.  To say "Clear your reminders and it goes away" is just another way of saying there are no good options to use reminders.

On my phone do you know where reminders show up on my screen?  NOWHERE. They sit in the background until some pre-determined date.  To have a list of reminders on top all the time seems silly when we have a quite useful precedent in reminder UIs plenty of other places.

So, maybe I'm coming late to this conversation but I do wish Evernote would fix this.  Otherwise I can't use reminders (can't afford the space).

I agree.  This was badly thought-out.  Blithely throwing reminders at the top of the UI when the whole point of Evernote is surfing your data, well that is a bad design choice.  On a laptop that small space is very annoying.  To say "Clear your reminders and it goes away" is just another way of saying there are no good options to use reminders.

On my phone do you know where reminders show up on my screen?  NOWHERE. They sit in the background until some pre-determined date.  To have a list of reminders on top all the time seems silly when we have a quite useful precedent in reminder UIs plenty of other places.

So, maybe I'm coming late to this conversation but I do wish Evernote would fix this.  Otherwise I can't use reminders (can't afford the space).

There is an unobtrusive Reminders sliver *(about 7 millimeters) , which one can expand or collapse. Also... if you're "surfing your data", keep in mind that the Reminders panel *(all 7 millimeters of it) scrolls out of sight.

Additionally, I don't think you're looking carefully on your phone. There is an alarm clock icon on both Android and iPhone in multiple places. 

Please do post a screenshot of this eyesore on your desktop so we can see. Do you think you might have the "Explanation Panel" visible?

* Edit: 6 millimeters

Suggestion: make a preference setting to completely hide Reminders, and I'm guessing this would make everyone happy.

Details.

There is an unobtrusive Reminders sliver *(about 7 millimeters) , which one can expand or collapse. Also... if you're "surfing your data", keep in mind that the Reminders panel *(all 7 millimeters of it) scrolls out of sight.

Doesn't matter how big the "sliver" is. It's a distraction. e.g.: even when "checked," I now have a "Reminder = 1" staring me in the face even when collapsed, and my brain can't stop trying to process the "problem to solve"--waste of precious brain cycles.

I need to focus on the hundreds of notes I need to process in EN, with minimal distraction. The un-requested Reminder feature (I too accidentally clicked on the "Reminder" button in the Web Clipper) significantly degrades this experience, making me less productive from my normally hyper-efficient workflow.

• Level 5

I don't like reminders either and continue to use my personal Task Management setup in Evernote.

You can't get rid of Reminders in the Snippet or Card View, but...

If you want to completely hide the Reminders, switch to an alternate view: 

• the standard List View (Ctrl + F5) or
  • the more powerful Vertical List View (Ctrl + Shift + F5)
  • Level 5*

Reminders seem to be working well for me, FWIW.  

And I agree with @jbenson, the Vertical List View is the view for hyper efficient note processing, particularly on a wide monitor.  Not so much if you spread EN across two wide monitors, too much like a tennis match.   ;)

I need to focus on the hundreds of notes I need to process in EN...  my normally hyper-efficient workflow.

What will make your workflow on the whole a little more hyper-efficient is if you bag and tag at the time of clipping to Evernote. That will bring your hundreds of notes to process down to perhaps tens. Or maybe you're referring to your processing workflow being hyper-efficient...

I like Reminders. I don't use them as a task management system, but just to pull up notes I need to see in the future. As a teacher, I like to put a reminder on notes I might use for an upcoming unit or on a note with ideas for the next time I teach something. Without reminders, I would probably reinvent a lot of wheels over the course of a year. 

However, if you don't want the Reminders section at the top of your list, you have to "clear reminder" not simply "mark as done." As long as you clear all reminders in a notebook, you shouldn't see the Reminders section. At least, that's how it works on a mac.

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, people, it's not that hard!  To create a reminder, you click on the "old fashioned alarm clock" icon in the information section above the NOTE you are working with.  Once you click on the clock icon, it will turn blue and you will be asked to add a date.  Whether you add a date or not, when you click anywhere other than the pop-up "add a date" box, the reminder will now be at the top of your NOTEBOOK (not above the individual note you are working with).  The reminders will apply to the entire NOTEBOOK, and will have the title of the NOTE as its own title.  To change or DELETE a reminder, simply move your cursor to that reminder and click again on the alarm clock icon.  You will see a drop down menu with the choices of "Mark as Done" or "Clear Reminder" or "Change Date".   Do this for each reminder you want to change or delete.   

• 5 months later...

I have Evernote Web beta (as of 10-9-15)j, and there seems to be no way of getting a version number for it.  I am using it in the Chrome browser on a Chromebook with the Chrome OS Version 45.0.2454.86 (64-bit).  I, too, accidentally hit the Reminder icon, and now I’m stuck with the Reminder field showing 1 crossed-out reminder (‘done’) at the top of my Notes column on the left.  There is no way to remove the Reminder field (about 6mm by 15mm) from the top of the Notes column, and no way to remove the crossed-out reminder, although I can collapse and hide the crossed-out reminder.  I have tried everything suggested several times, without success.  Maybe the other responders are using a different version of Evernote, perhaps the Desktop version.  I haven’t tried the desktop version yet (can’t on my Chromebook, but I do have it on a desktop), because I feel sure there must be a way to do it with the web client – but maybe not…  

Oh, at first I had 2 reminders displayed, but by clicking 'Done' on them and clearing the 'Show recently completed reminders' checkbox from the Setting gear icon dropdown menu, I was able to get rid of one of them.  Then for awhile it showed '8 hidden' reminders, but sometime during my removal attempts, that disappeared, too.  Now I am left with the one reminder as described above.

Thanks.

David

P.S.  It would also be nice to select multiple notes on the web client and move them to a folder, instead of moving them one at a time.

OK -- just figured out how to do it.  I reverted to the old Evernote Web client, and suddenly everything changed.  I was able to follow the suggestions given by the previous responders, and remove the crossed-out reminder and also remove the Reminder field at the top of the Notes column.  I also could select multiple notes by ctrl-clicking them.  It's the new beta version of Evernote Web that can't do these things.  Seems like the beta is a step down...  Note: can't remove a reminder marked as done -- must be an active reminder to be totally removed, which will then remove the Reminder notice at the top of the Notes list, once all reminders are removed.

• 3 months later...

deardavid's entry (9 oct 2015) solved the problem for me.  Thanks.  I just want to add that the gear icon he is referring to is at the top of the Reminders list he is trying to get rid of.  It shows only when the list is expanded. Once the Show Recently Completed Reminders option is unchecked, the Reminders section goes away totally if there are no active reminders and all previously active ones have been checked off.  Thanks again deardavid. 

However, just discovered that the Show Recently Completed Reminders option selection is not persistent.  The next time I signed in to Evernote.com this option was checked again and the undesired Reminders entry was once again showing at the top of the notes list.  Seems like a bug?  I've tried both Chrome and Edge on Windows 10.   

• 3 months later...

Archived