[Issue] Can't pair Jot script

Petter Östergren

• 3 months later...

1. Start or open a note.

2. You will see two circles at the upper right of your screen. Tap the one that has the image of a technical pen.

3. You will now see 12 circles across the top of your screen. The leftmost circle has three dots in it. I will call that Circle #1.

4. Count over to circle #4. That circle has the image of a fat pen (supposed to look like a stylus, I think.) Tap that circle.

Now you should see a box with controls that will let you connect your Jot stylus.

Hope this helps!

I'll re-post from another...

If you want some admirable frustrations...  From the 'start' screen - upper left hand corner is a silhouette of a person - click on that...  Next - click on settings, then second option down...

HAVE A RAG HANDY - as once you begin to use and note the stuff your palm causes - and the delay and offset of the actual inking - you will utilize some FINE verbiage for which is usually accompanied by spit - and the rag is to wipe the screen off...  Nothing like a $75-$100 paperweight!!!  

Don't worry - its only been a MONTH since they royally screwed this up - I'm sure 2015 or 16 will bring sweeping changes...

I just got my pen today and I can't pair it either.  I've enabled Bluetooth, and disabled MultiTouch gestures.  I opened Penultimate and tapped the Connect Jot Script icon.  I then turned on the stylus, and the green light started blinking.  I held down the icon on the screen to connect to the stylus, but nothing happens.  The green light on the stylus blinks and then goes off.  I did this on the note screen and in the Settings.  I also tried holding down the sync button on the stylus while holding the connect icon on the screen, and the light goes amber for a few seconds before going off.

I'm using Penultimate version 6.0.2.7524.  I'm using an iPad and my iOS version is 8.1.2.

• 1 month later...

1. Start or open a note.

2. You will see two circles at the upper right of your screen. Tap the one that has the image of a technical pen.

3. You will now see 12 circles across the top of your screen. The leftmost circle has three dots in it. I will call that Circle #1.

4. Count over to circle #4. That circle has the image of a fat pen (supposed to look like a stylus, I think.) Tap that circle.

Now you should see a box with controls that will let you connect your Jot stylus.

Hope this helps!

That works, but the interface to maintain pairing and just exactly what happens with and without pairing are far from seamless.

Sometimes, when I have a "compatible" app open, pressing the button on the Stylus activates the green LED for just a moment until I release it. Sometimes it continues to blink. I have the sense that in the latter circumstance the pad tracks the position of the stylus better, but I can't be certain. This is not a finished product.

I've also discovered that text recognition isn't the same as conversion to editable text. THAT must be the holy grail. I'd be happy if the text recognition created the errors it does but left me with mistakes I could correct on the keyboard when I review my notes later. Is there some way to accomplish that in any of the Jot Script compatible iOS apps?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson

MyScript Smart notes or Notes Plus (which uses the MyScript engine) are possibly best at this. Not the best Evernote integration, but if you're going to edit the text anyway, it's not much more overhead to export the result. You can try Smart Notes for free.

I'd suggest the PhatWare products, but their Jot support is so bad that I've turned it off. I'm better off with my cheap mesh tip stylus. Yes, there are apps that claim Jot support but are worse at it than Penultimate. :)

• 4 months later...

1. Start or open a note.

Hope this helps!

HI SD - In which window? I don't have an image of a pen despite following all other instructions?

Here's another way to do it:

1. BE SURE BLUETOOTH IS TURNED ON on your iPad AND YOUR STYLUS IS CHARGED.
  2. Open the Penultimate app.
  3. Get to the screen where it shows your list of notes in Penultimate, but you're not actually editing a note. It should be mostly blue, have a few note icons, and say Penultimate in the top center.
  4. Tap on the circle with a person's head inside it  (top left corner.) You should now see a screen that has a button named "Settings." Tap that button.
  5. You should now see a dialog box. There should be an item named "Jot Script Evernote Stylus Setup." Tap that item.
  6. Turn on your stylus, then press with it in the target.
  7. If the stylus gods smile, you should now be connected to your stylus.
  • 9 months later...

Hello all!

Same issue here.

Thanks for all the advices. No success!!

That wonderful thing does just not want to connect with bluetooth!

Penultimate (last version) does not show any of mentioned icon to connect.
How can it, when the pen does not even reach any bluetooth connection...

Thank you very much.

Obviously this nice tool does not work together with iPad2...?

Tried with iPad Air and it works there!

That means I need to trash my good old iPad2 if I want to use Evernote and Handwriting...?

• 1 month later...

So, I got a new iPhone and tried to connect its bluetooth from Jot Script 2.    And it is amazing we still have this bluetooth problem in this age of Internet of Things.   I was able to connect all bluetooth enabled tools to my iPhone except this Jot Script 2.

Reading thru this post and seeing many people on this issue!!!   Must be some defect.    Is there any other way we can reset Jot Script2 or any plan to fix this defect?

On 2016/4/24 at 0:56 AM, bswiss56 said:

Obviously this nice tool does not work together with iPad2...?

Tried with iPad Air and it works there!

That means I need to trash my good old iPad2 if I want to use Evernote and Handwriting...?

Mine ipad2 also shows nothing of stylus setting, the jot script was working fine with ipad mini, even changed with new battery

All the Bluetooth styluses including all the Adonit Jot line require BT v. 4.0 or newer. The oldest iPad with this BT version is iPad 3rd gen. So if you have iPad 1 or iPad 2 you are out of luck. All the iPad Minis are newer so they all work.

@jonnyC, the Bluetooth styluses connect to specific apps, not to the iPhone as a whole. You can turn it on and use it as an ordinary stylus, or connect it within an app that supports Bluetooth styluses. Unfortunately, Evernote is not such an app, and Penultimate doesn't run on iPhones. For a list of apps that will connect to a Jot BT Stylus, check their website at http://www.adonit.net/jot-ready-apps/.

So -- it's not a defect, it's the way non-Apple Bluetooth styluses work. They don't connect to the device as a whole, they connect to specific apps which have a connection method inside. You will find the same sort of limitation with Pencil by Fiftythree http://www.fiftythree.com/pencil, and with the Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/intuos-creative-stylus-2.

So -- try turning it on without connecting it to the iphone as a whole. It should work and give you a better view of what you're writing than blunt styluses, even though you won't get palm rejection. Specific iPhone apps that will connect to the Bluetooth features are Adobe Illustrator Draw, Adobe Photoshop Sketch, Concepts, Autodesk SketchBook, Medibang Paint, Zen Brush 2, Tayasui Sketches, Animation Desk Cloud, Sketch Club, Goodnotes, Noteledge Cloud, Explain Everything, PDFpen and Zoomnotes. Look inside each app to find out how to connect the stylus to that app.

Archived