Login when offline

TageSK

I'm using EN on a laptop and a desktop.

Yesterday I booted the laptop in a place without connectivity.

The plan was to take some note and having them synched in later.

However, EN refused to log me in, saying "Can't connect to server.  Please try again later".

The version is 5.6.4.4632 and I am premium user.

Is it supposted to be like this?

If so, how can I circumvent it?

[TaSK]

I'm using EN on a laptop and a desktop.

Yesterday I booted the laptop in a place without connectivity.

The plan was to take some note and having them synched in later.

However, EN refused to log me in, saying "Can't connect to server.  Please try again later".

The version is 5.6.4.4632 and I am premium user.

Is it supposted to be like this?

If so, how can I circumvent it?

[TaSK]

Using the search function (which is quite good, BTW), I found this:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/62008-closing-vs-logging-out/

Posted · Hidden by charboyd, September 9, 2014 - off topic
Hidden by charboyd, September 9, 2014 - off topic

Well, I found that thread and it didn't answer my question.

When my machine reboots without connectivity, I obviously have to log in again.

And EN won't let me.

Is this a feature or a bug?

[TaSK]

The thread does indeed answer your question.  Don't log out.  There is a difference between logging out & closing an app.

I almost never log out of EN on my iPhone, iPad or PC. An internet connection is required to log back in so your account can be verified.

@ Wordsgood. When you open the App, use it, then close it again, you are NOT logging in and out like you would through the browser. You are utilizing the Apps function of connecting without the use of the browser. You still have your App logged in until you actually click to 'log out' or 'sign out'.

I have an anxiety attack every time I post something on the EN forum. There is an individual who seems to be omnipresent and who will call you out on anything under the sun - my single most dislike about participating here in the forums. As right as this individual might be - the spirit of it is very scathing. Why disguise a prolific "know-it-all" attitude in the form of a "helpful" comment? Why respond at all? If someone gives a sarcastic response right off the bat with no provocation on anyone's part (in this case the OP), why can't this individual then take any further rebuttal or explanation gracefully... or understand that the initial response was not welcome and just be civil - not absolutely needing to have the last word? This is the first time that I have ventured to openly say anything as to unacceptable behavior in an Evernote forum.  Can't I just come to at least a few different discussion topics and NOT see this individual putting everyone in their place, especially someone with a total of 2 posts? Everyone knows that this is not an isolated incident. The spirit of it is very mean, and does not encourage newcomers to stick around. Very sad indeed. This individual is super smart and knowledgeable in her own right - but for crying in a bucket - do we really need policing at every turn?

I have an anxiety attack every time I post something on the EN forum.

Then I suggest you get out more often.

There is an individual who seems to be omnipresent and who will call you out on anything under the sun - my single most dislike about participating here in the forums. As right as this individual might be - the spirit of it is very scathing. Why disguise a prolific "know-it-all" attitude in the form of a "helpful" comment? Why respond at all? If someone gives a sarcastic response right off the bat with no provocation on anyone's part (in this case the OP), why can't this individual then take any further rebuttal or explanation gracefully... or understand that the initial response was not welcome and just be civil - not absolutely needing to have the last word? This is the first time that I have ventured to openly say anything as to unacceptable behavior in an Evernote forum. Can't I just come to at least a few different discussion topics and NOT see this individual putting everyone in their place, especially someone with a total of 2 posts? Everyone knows that this is not an isolated incident. The spirit of it is very mean, and does not encourage newcomers to stick around. Very sad indeed. This individual is super smart and knowledgeable in her own right - but for crying in a bucket - do we really need policing at every turn?

There is no "calling out". By me. I answered OP's question. It was not sarcastic.  (Which, BTW, I noticed you did not, even though you felt the need to call me out.)  Perhaps you should devote more time to actually helping others on the board by answering their questions instead of calling me out. 

And...as usual, if you think any post goes against the forum code of conduct, please use the report button that is on every post.

Perhaps you should devote more time to actually helping others on the board by answering their questions instead of calling me out. 

You are welcome to take a look at my general interaction here in the EN forum. (Easily found under my profile, BTW). You do a heck of a lot of calling out. This is a first for me. I sort of kind of try to be friendly, even when I see stupid questions. That's the whole point. You've had a lot of run-ins with a lot of people in the forums. I find it very off-putting... and bothersome to have to be witness to it - constantly. How about not having the last word for a change?

Perhaps you should devote more time to actually helping others on the board by answering their questions instead of calling me out. 

You are welcome to take a look at my general interaction here in the EN forum. (Easily found under my profile, BTW). You do a heck of a lot of calling out. This is a first for me. I sort of kind of try to be friendly, even when I see stupid questions. That's the whole point. You've had a lot of run-ins with a lot of people in the forums. I find it very off-putting... and bothersome to have to be witness to it - constantly. How about not having the last word for a change?

Honestly, it's not my job to care if you find me offputting or not. 

YOU have caused this thread to go off topic.  Off topic threads get locked. 

Now, back on topic, OK?

I have an anxiety attack every time I post something on the EN forum.

Then I suggest you get out more often.

By the looks of your post count, I think I get out a lot more than you. The logic of it...

BTW, it's a manner of speaking. It means that I try doubly hard not to say anything ignorant, lest a certain individual calls me out on an honest question or response. Because you are so prolific and nothing will escape your watchful eye.

Ok, back to the topic at hand. 

Yes, you can use Evernote on a desktop machine when you do not have a connection. The only way to guarantee this is by NOT logging out when you close the Evernote application. This has already been covered by BurgersNFries in this very thread.

However,  In most cases, you should even be able to authenticate if you happened to have logged out. 

See the following post from an Evernote Employee in a different thread on the same topic:

If Evernote's servers are offline, or you do not have a network connection, you cannot log in. There is no way around this for a user unfortunately, unless Evernote makes some change.

This is incorrect. If you have no network connection, you should be able to login and access your local data.

Our hypothesis is that this didn't work in this situation because you did have a network connection but the servers weren't responding.

If this is the case, the workaround would be to disconnect from all networks completely, log in to Evernote, then reconnect to your networks.

So, as long as you had previously authenticated on a machine, you should be able to re-authenticate even without a network connection. If you have troubles doing this, as the Evernote Employee points out, you could disable all of your network connections (so, turn off your wifi card), and try again. 

I haven't tested this out, but from the horses mouth, it should be possible. 

Yes, you can use Evernote on a desktop machine when you do not have a connection. The only way to guarantee this is by NOT logging out when you close the Evernote application. This has already been covered by BurgersNFries in this very thread.

I haven't tested this out, but from the horses mouth, it should be possible. 

Now, "Don't log out" is not an answer to my question.  My question is "Bug or feature?"

If it si a bug it will be fixed as I will submit a bug-report

But if it is a feature, there must be a very good reason for it having being introduced.  I hope to understand why.  And having it changed, obviously.

The thing is, when I open my laptop on remote places, I need to KNOW that EN will work.  That I will be able to log in.

Things like "hoping" and "in most cases" don't count.

On a side not, I was not at all offended by the reply from BurgersNFries; I do in fact thank you for trying to assist me!

Thank you for your assistance!

[TaSK]

The thread does indeed answer your question.  Don't log out.  There is a difference between logging out & closing an app.

Just for completeness: As far as I can understand, this reply does not answer the question: Is it a bug or a feature?

I am obviously talking about the application.

In any case, thank you!

[TaSK]

• Level 5*

A feature, but a negative one in my view. Having a local data base and the requirement of a server connection to log in, should one need to, seems a strange mix to me. But as stated above, just don't log out and all is well.

As I indicated in my previous post, a user should be able to authenticate in the Evernote app WITHOUT a network connection. Here is the quote, for a second time, from an Evernote employee confirming this is the case:

If Evernote's servers are offline, or you do not have a network connection, you cannot log in. There is no way around this for a user unfortunately, unless Evernote makes some change.

This is incorrect. If you have no network connection, you should be able to login and access your local data.

Our hypothesis is that this didn't work in this situation because you did have a network connection but the servers weren't responding.

If this is the case, the workaround would be to disconnect from all networks completely, log in to Evernote, then reconnect to your networks.

Just to put this to the test, I gave it a try. 

1) Log my account out of Evernote. 

2) Turn off my network connections

3) open the evernote application

4) Log in

Success. I was logged in and could access and modify anything in my Evernote database. 

So to answer the questions at hand:

Is this a feature or a bug?

If you follow the directions outlined by "Adjusting" that I quote, and you follow my steps in this very post, it SHOULD work. you SHOULD be able to authenticate while offline if you choose to log out of the Evernote app. 

If you are UNABLE to authenticate while offline, follow the troubleshooting suggested by "Adjusting" in the quote I include in this, and my past post. If that STILL doesn't work. Then it is a bug. 

Some additional notes:

If you authenticate while offline, and you establish a network connection during the same evernote session, you'll have to close and re-open the evernote application to get it to start syncing again. Otherwise, if you establish a connection after authenticating offline, when you hit the "sync" button you'll receive an error. 

When you re-launch the application after establishing a network connection, you'll have to re-enter your Evernote account password, and your two-factor authentication code, if you have 2-factor authentication enabled. 

Hope this is helping you with your offline Evernote issues. 

Here is what I do, and I would be happy if someone else can try on their setup

- Sign out of EN

- Shutdown your computer

- Unplug your cable (or, in the case of a wireless, turn off your WiFi-station)

- Reboot your computer

- Start EN

- Try to log in.

This scanraio is not at all wierd - it is a common thing to do with laptops.

Unplugging a running computer is not the same as rebooting with no network, and has to do with caching of DNS lookups and so on.

On mine, I get "Can't connect to server".  Which is, obviously, correct - technically speaking.

It seems to be consensus that it is a feature and not a bug.

There are many reasonable causes for this behaviour, but I agree it is a negative one.

I will submit a "Request for change".

Thank you!

[TaSK]

• Level 5*

Scott,

My bad for being not being specific and a off topic (Windows) in my prior post. I was referring to the IOS version. If I log out of EN on my iPad and I cannot start EN without a network connection. Error message pops up before the user/password splash screen. Since I don't ever really log out, no problem. But I would say a bug in IOS. Test is:

1. Log out of EN.
2. Shut down wireless.
3. Start up EN.
4. Error screen.
5 Enable wireless.
6. Able to sign in.

csihilling, somehow I always come across as being extra harsh to you these days. Not my intention! 

for the record, the 6 steps out outline in your post, are those on iOS or on a desktop? 

On iOS, not being able to log into Evernote while offline isn't a bug. Unlike on the desktop, if you log out of Evernote on a mobile device, your cache is cleared. Even if you were actually able to log in while offline, there'd be nothing to see because Evernote doesn't store notes locally on mobile devices (Except for "offline" notebooks, but that designation is cleared when you log out of the client), just note headers (and a few recently viewed notes and attachments). Thus the utility of being able to log in while offline on a mobile device is fairly limited. 

If those steps are referring to a desktop client, then that may be a bug. 

• Level 5*

Scott,

No problem.  The steps above are for IOS.  The reason I think it is a bug is that I have about 6 GB of offline storage on the iPad would not accessible if I were to log out of EN for some reason and not have a connection when next wanted to use EN.  Just saying, why have offline storage if you have to log in to a server to get it?  Not particularly logical to me.

Out of curiosity I followed the same steps for Windows and got the same results.  From Adjusting above:  If this is the case, the workaround would be to disconnect from all networks completely, log in to Evernote, then reconnect to your networks.  Can't get there from here for me since I can't log if in if disconnected from all networks.  I may be doing something wrong but it is what I get.  Simple enough test to perform.

Tempest in a teapot for me since I don't log out, but for those that want to log out and want disconnected access?

Yes I think the key is just not logging out, and securing your data by other means (since, at least on the desktop logging out does NOTHING to secure your Evernote data). 

When you disconnect from all networks and launch the app on your Windows machine, does it not still display a log in screen? 

• Level 5*

In Windows the log in screen displays, but can't get anywhere.  Enter credentials, click Sign in and I get the  "Cannot connect to the server. Please try again later." message  After I connect to the network all I have to do is hit the sign in button and all is well (the credentials are still entered). 

• Level 5*

Not to worry, not going to log out anytime soon.  Perhaps you could inform adjusting that their hypothesis may not be accurate, assuming I followed the instructions to the letter.   :)

• 1 month later...

Just to put this to the test, I gave it a try. 

1) Log my account out of Evernote. 

2) Turn off my network connections

3) open the evernote application

4) Log in

Success. I was logged in and could access and modify anything in my Evernote database. 

It doesn't work for me, unable to log in at step #4 both on my desktop computer and my laptop. Version of evernote is up to date.

I had hope and I tried it again when I read your post, but I was never able to log in when offline in the past.

I occasionally get logged out by evernote even if I never log out by myself. So "Don't log out" is an unreliable solution.

It already happened that I couldn't access my notes when traveling because of this.

I learnt the hard way that evernote offline mode cannot be trusted and I now put the important stuff on an other storage solution.

Archived