REQUEST: Quick Note (Evernote Helper) needs tagging and notebook selection!

Jungle

Idea

I use the Quick Note feature in the menubar all of the time, why can't I add Tags to the notes that I create? or choose the relevant Notebook? It's part of the web clipper, why is it not part of this feature? Is it because of some technical limitation?

Otherwise this a really obvious omission, that hasn't been addressed for a long time, especially as Evernote is fundamentally built around tagging and notebooks!

I hope it can be implemented, as without it I'm having to use this annoying, inelegant, 2 step workaround: 1) Start every Quick Note with "TAG TAG TAG TAG!!" as the first line, so it stands out to be processed during those times when I actually do need to fire up the full Evernote app (I know I can search for notes without tags, but I have to remember to do that, rather than be reminded by something that immediately stands out from the rest of my notes). 2) Process the notes by deleting the "TAG TAG..." line, cutting and pasting the title from the note into the title field, adding tags, and changing the notebook if ness. Then repeat! This all becomes pretty laborious over time.

Please, Evernote Team, find a way to add the following:

The same syntax that we use when sending notes by email into Evernote (#tag @notebook)

Or

Dedicated fields, with keyboard shortcut (control-tab?) to navigate to them

Or

Both options (preferred)

You have produced a vital and fantastic piece of software that is a central part of my digital world (and I'm not blowing smoke here, I seriously love it, well done), and I want to be clear that I realise I'm focussing on one small issue with what is otherwise a very complete and well thought out product and service! However, the issue is important and annoyingly lacking.

• Like 4

23 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Have you tried using the EN global shortcut key to create a new Note?  This provides a EN Note in a separate window that allows you to enter Tags and Notebook.  Seems like this would address most of your needs.

Have you tried using the EN global shortcut key to create a new Note?  This provides a EN Note in a separate window that allows you to enter Tags and Notebook.  Seems like this would address most of your needs.

Cheers for the suggestion JMichael, appreciate your advice

Unfortunately the 'New Note Window' shortcut doesn't help me as it needs the Evernote application to be open in order to work (and opens it if it's closed). The point of Quick Note is that you don't need Evernote open to use it, which is ideal when you need all of your Macs memory and resources for much of the work you do. Quick Note is also instant, no waiting for Evernote to open first. And Quick Note is more efficient when collecting info from more than one resource into one note, I just drag and drop each bit of content onto the elephant icon in the menu bar and it adds it to the note, then click (of hit command+return) to save the entire thing, done. It's quicker than bringing up the Evernote note window each time.

As you can tell, I'm loving Quick Note, it's exactly what I need, but this lack of tagging and notebook selection is a pain and illogical.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it's a huge drain, but anything that is running uses resources. Anyway, it's not really the point. Quick Note is included as part of the application, and as such is expected to be used, so I'm referring to how that needs attention from the dev's to make it work properly.

Do you know if anyone from Evernote dev team ever chime in on this forum?

..totally second this request!

have been searching for this on the web for a full hour or so, it would make evernote helper the single most powerful gadget on my os!!!

• Like 1

I'm surprised this topic didn't get more traction, it seems blindingly obvious that it needs implementing, I wonder if there is a way that everyone else is using that I don't know about?!? Or maybe people just don't use the feature other than us?

Shame if that's the case cos it is so handy, tho let down by having to use a lame workaround with it.

I assume that if Evernote don't get many people requesting this feature to be fixed then it will never make it onto their backlog of items to do, which I'm sure, coming from a similar environment, is long and ever increasing. Still, we can live in hope...

• Like 2

I feel the same about this - my hour on google didn't bring about any such thing we both might have missed...

I use Evernote to keep track of todos, so i imagine it to be so much more powerful to just hit cmd+ctrl+N at any given time to quickly punch in a task as it comes along and have it sorted to the right list without any further steps necessary...

As you put it so nicely: we can live in hope...

cheers!

• Like 1

May I ask for a feature for quick note? That is to add tagging function so that our quick note can be classified quickly after it being saved,

This really help us classify note quickly as the Evernote's core idea said....

Thanks very much ~

螢幕快照 2016-11-04 下午8.05.36.jpg

• Like 2

So, still no way to tag the quick notes? 
i usually start the quicknote with #tag but then i found out that the "#" is irrelevant when you search the Evernote app, it just searches for "tag" without the "#", so it doesn't recognize it as a tag. What this means is if i search for #books the results will show all notes with the word "books" in it, instead of searching for the #books, it just ignores the #.

Really surprised that (a) these features have not been added to the menu bar quick entry form yet OR (b) that some third party developer hasn't come up with an App that could do the same thing.  There are like 10 different quick entry apps for iOS, but none for Mac (that I am aware of)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, aukirk said:

Really surprised that (a) these features have not been added to the menu bar quick entry form yet

The request is posted at the top of the discussion.  You can indicate your support using the vote button at the top left corner

Current user votes are 787972653_ScreenShot2019-09-11at20_50_43.png.41f7473a24fac724cdb377d0286aa021.png

Personally, I follow the GTD workflow - Capture, Organize, ...
I capture notes in my Inbox (default notebook)
Organize is a later step where I assign tags and move the note to my Filing notebook

This request has been made many times before and I told myself: the fact this on-going request since the early beginning hasn't yet been implemented must have to do with a technical issue. 

However, after I realized that adding new or already existing tags to a Quick Note in the Drafts App was a piece of cake (see attached screenshot), then I wonder once again: why hasn't this much needed feature been implemented in Evernote by now? Make it a premium feature so new users on the free version have an extra incentive to upgrade. 

Thanks ! 😀

Skærmbillede 2020-05-13 kl. 11.47.33.png

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Cucumbercutter said:

This request has been made many times before

Moved to the request forum and merged with similar requests

Users can indicate their support using the vote button at the upper left corner of the discussion
There are currently 10 votes