Why does creating a reminder ALSO create a note?

Seems redundant to create a task, and assign a date/time to it, but the separate note just takes up space on my screen, whatever platform I use. Am I missing a need for this? Maybe have an option to turn off separate notes?

I just don't get it.

post-61816-0-61488600-1410034541_thumb.p

• Level 5*

You are not really creating a task.  Instead you create a note and then set a reminder for it (or not).  A reminder is an attribute of the note not a separate item.  In your example above each note just has a title and no content so showing the reminder also shows the note identically.  With this use case I can see what you mean about redundant information being shown and why you would like the note suppressed in the view. EN is definitely not a full fledged task manager and why some others, myself included, use a separate task manager app instead of EN, though many do find EN sufficient for managing their task needs.

• Level 5*

A reminder *is* a note; more specifically, a reminder is a note with a reminder time attached to it.

With respect to the note list; if you use card view to show your notes, those cards are all the same size, even if they don't hold enough information to fill the card. You might look into using snippet view. The reminder sublist at the top of the note list can be collapsed if you don't want to see it. 

OK, all good points, and makes sense. For the record, I do use a separate, fully functional, dedicated task manager (just left Any.do and went back to Wunderlist). I only recently thought I'd try to use EN for the immediate things I needed to do today, rather than on my other task app, which I use for more robust, multi-level projects, just to see how it worked. I can see how an EN to do list element would be a "note", literally, but it just seems it could be 'packaged' a bit (no, a lot) better. 

Snippet view does look better but still, the notes seem silly separated from their list above. The note could at least be tucked in or collapsed under the specific list item itself. 

It begs the question why EN would even offer a partial to-do list function at all? If they took it a little further and gave it some polish and some UX love, I could easily see incorporating my tasks full time into Evernote. 

I'm addicted to ToDo apps and have tried and used so many. I'm curious what you guys use for more robust task managers??

• Level 5*
It begs the question why EN would even offer a partial to-do list function at all? If they took it a little further and gave it some polish and some UX love, I could easily see incorporating my tasks full time into Evernote. 

I'm addicted to ToDo apps and have tried and used so many. I'm curious what you guys use for more robust task managers??

I've wondered about this as well.  I was hoping this was just their first pass and we would see some enhancements but I've not noticed any new development in this area since it was released. 

I've been using Todoist premium for several months now and have been very happy with it.  Multi-platform, fast sync and the UI appeals to me.  I can copy EN note links when needed and I can easily bump tasks to new days.  You can set up projects and each one can have its own email into that project.  For example, I have one project called Waiting For and if I send an email where I'm expecting a response (and not sure I will received one in a timely manner) I will bcc the email for the Waiting For project so that the email gets copied to that project.  I then check this project weekly to review which emails may need a follow up.

• Level 5*

I've used RememberTheMilk in the past, but frankly, I just don't have a great need for complicated to-do lists, and Evernote's reminders seem to fill the bill for me. And it's a part of Evernote, which I use every day anyways.

OK, all good points, and makes sense. For the record, I do use a separate, fully functional, dedicated task manager (just left Any.do and went back to Wunderlist). I only recently thought I'd try to use EN for the immediate things I needed to do today, rather than on my other task app, which I use for more robust, multi-level projects, just to see how it worked. I can see how an EN to do list element would be a "note", literally, but it just seems it could be 'packaged' a bit (no, a lot) better. 

Snippet view does look better but still, the notes seem silly separated from their list above. The note could at least be tucked in or collapsed under the specific list item itself. 

I have gone back and forth with this.  I bought Things, RTM, Omnifocus (all platforms), Wunderlist, I've tried Any.do, etc..  The challenge I have is that I almost ALWAYS put a link in a task, or reference an Evernote note with the context, details for that task.   I've finally just embraced this.  

• I use my notes to track all my tasks with reminders
  • I put detailed, date stamped progress against more complex tasks within the task note
  • I add checkboxes for subtasks of larger tasks
  • I have even started tracking who needs to be notified, stakeholders, dates, attachments, etc.  This has helped me later if I come back to reference
  • I keep them even after checking them off.  (even smaller quick tasks, you'll see why next)
  • I have a calendar reminder at 4:30 every day to sort notes by last edited. I select all notes edited today and make a TOC note.  I title this with a date stamp of today and tag it journal.   I add any additional notes for the day's journal
  • I save all those date stamped journal notes in a single journal folder.  This gives me an easy way to not only see what I did each day, but a link to the detailed notes of the tasks.   

This became easier when I realized it was helping me, not hurting me to have a new note per task.  I have since scrapped all task managers and just use Evernote.  

• Level 5*

Not actually separated, it's the same note in both the reminder list and the list of notes below the reminders.  Clicking on the reminder is like clicking on the note.  I agree it can be a bit confusing.  I have some saved reminder searches and the drop down reminder count ends up being the same as the number of notes below, so I just work off the reminder list.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

Not actually separated, it's the same note in both the reminder list and the list of notes below the reminders.  Clicking on the reminder is like clicking on the note.  I agree it can be a bit confusing.  I have some saved reminder searches and the drop down reminder count ends up being the same as the number of notes below, so I just work off the reminder list.  FWIW.

The nice thing about this arrangement is that:

* The reminder list can be hidden by collapsing the list

* The reminder list can be sorted independently the note list, and can even be sorted by manual ordering (you move items around in the list to the order that you want them in)

I have gone back and forth with this.  I bought Things, RTM, Omnifocus (all platforms), Wunderlist, I've tried Any.do, etc..  The challenge I have is that I almost ALWAYS put a link in a task, or reference an Evernote note with the context, details for that task.   I've finally just embraced this.  

• I use my notes to track all my tasks with reminders
  • I put detailed, date stamped progress against more complex tasks within the task note
  • I add checkboxes for subtasks of larger tasks
  • I have even started tracking who needs to be notified, stakeholders, dates, attachments, etc.  This has helped me later if I come back to reference
  • I keep them even after checking them off.  (even smaller quick tasks, you'll see why next)
  • I have a calendar reminder at 4:30 every day to sort notes by last edited. I select all notes edited today and make a TOC note.  I title this with a date stamp of today and tag it journal.   I add any additional notes for the day's journal
  • I save all those date stamped journal notes in a single journal folder.  This gives me an easy way to not only see what I did each day, but a link to the detailed notes of the tasks.   

This became easier when I realized it was helping me, not hurting me to have a new note per task.  I have since scrapped all task managers and just use Evernote.  

This is great! Having sub tasks within a larger task is a must for me, and I forgot about the checkboxes. And, each note does have the  capability of having a reminder set for it, which is helpful. I suppose I'm trying to have everything within EN now because I just became a Premium user, and wanting to keep everything organized with work projects along with personal items in one place would be ideal. 

I would like some kind of integration with my Google calendar, but EN keeps saying they aren't about that kind of task manager. Again, I repeat, EN could be EVERYTHING with not much more to do, really. They aren't that far from that.

Mark923 -  I like your idea of a TOC note for each day.  I use the PlaceMe app.  Each day I automatically get a new Evernote note, listing every place that I visited yesterday and every note created at each place (including home and office).

Archived