Autocomplete bug? - tags

callistabr

*Edit: I didn't realize I could submit a support ticket as a free user. I have done so just now.*

Hello there,

I want to report some behavior that might be a bug. I just updated to EN 5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public yesterday. I have just started using EN religiously in the past week or so. I use it on my Windows machine at work (Dell running Windows 7), my iPhone, my iPad, and my MacBook at home.

Today when I was tagging some notes on my Windows work machine, I noticed that I type some letters of the tag I want to use in the tag bar (list view), and a list of options appears. However, when I select one of those options, either by using the mouse pointer and clicking, or by keyboard navigation and pressing enter, it does not accept the tag that I selected. Instead, it creates a new tag using the few letters that I have typed. So, for example, I start typing "so" for "3-soon", and a bunch of options come up. I select "3-soon", and either highlight and click or select using the arrows and return, and all I get is a new tag called "so" that I have to go and delete. This behavior does NOT occur when I start out typing with the first letter/character of the tag - such as if I start typing "3". I am wondering why the list of options comes up at all if it will only accept tags that start with the "correct" letter/character.

I thought these autocomplete suggestions were great, because I was having trouble remembering which number belongs to which timeframe, and remembering "soon", "later", etc is much easier than remembering the number I associated with it. I have other tags that I want ordered a specific way that have numbers and/or characters preceding them as well. But if EN only accepts autocomplete suggestion selections that match the tag starting letter, this is creating more work. It does not behave as expected. I would prefer if only those suggestions appeared that it would actually accept.

I'm attaching a picture with a series of screenshots to show the behavior. What is not shown is the pointer, which did not capture for some reason. Trust me, I'm actually pointing and clicking or hitting enter when the choice is selected. Here's a link to the screenshot on dropbox in case it doesn't appear here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5456038/EN%20screenshot.png

Thanks!

Callista

post-220526-0-77738900-1409942061_thumb.

Yes, this behavior has been noted in the forums recently. Not sure whether anyone's actually reported it yet, though.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to clutter up the forums! I did a search before posting, but maybe I didn't use the right search terms. I'm new to EN and the forums, and at first I thought this was the only place I could submit bugs.

I have submitted a support ticket - so now at least one person has reported it! :)

I thought it has been made pretty clear that EN no longer provides support for free users?

That's what I thought, but thankfully I was able to submit a ticket. (I'm not really asking for support per se, just reporting a bug.) I doubt they will reply directly to me, but I'm just hoping they get the message.

• Level 5*

I thought it has been made pretty clear that EN no longer provides support for free users?

That's not quite correct. They certainly prioritize paying users over free users, so most of the time, free users aren't going to get direct support contact. However, as far as I know, feature requests will be read and handled no matter who they come from, even though no reply may be forthcoming to free users.

Okay, I understand you can report bugs and ask for help with account issues, but aside from that, Support has effectively been axed for free users. Below is a quote from the recently updated "Submitting a support ticket" thread by GBarry:

UPDATE FOR FREE USERS: Going forward, we are focusing on self-support for free users. In the future, this is what support free users should be able to expect:

* Continually improving Community, guide, and self-help (knowledge base) resources

* Support from our agents for login/account access issues

* Support from our agents for payment issues

* Ability to report bugs to our developers (although we will only reply if more information is needed to identify the bug)

That's not quite correct. They certainly prioritize paying users over free users, so most of the time, free users aren't going to get direct support contact. However, as far as I know, feature requests will be read and handled no matter who they come from, even though no reply may be forthcoming to free users.
  • Level 5*

That's what I thought, but thankfully I was able to submit a ticket. (I'm not really asking for support per se, just reporting a bug.) I doubt they will reply directly to me, but I'm just hoping they get the message.

I think that was a very good idea.

I don't know how Evernote treats bug reports, issues, or requests from users with non-Premium accounts, but I highly recommend that ALL USERS do report BUGS via the EN Support Ticket.  If it is a bug (in your opinion), be sure to clearly label it as a "bug" in your report.

Archived