"Stay signed in" has been removed from Sign in

I use Evernote on shared computers, with family and co-workers. I need to force a sign in whenever Evernote is started, otherwise I am exposing my private notes to anyone that can launch Evernote. This has always been possible for me until I just updated Evernote. There used to be a tick box on the Sign in form that said "Stay signed in". By leaving that tick box blank, you were forced to login each time you started Evernote. Now that tick box is gone. It would be nice to know  why, but that is not my real question.

I know you can click on the username and select Sign out xxx. But that is not what I want. If you shut down evernote by right-clicking in the system tray then Quit Evernote without first signing out, you can just restart the application and you are right back in, no sign in required. Also if you close the window with windows X button, the application is still running, visible in the system tray. You can forget it is even running, then shut down windows. After restart, again you can get straight in with no sign in.

How can I force Sign in after each time Evernote is shutdown, without having to manually sign out first?

post-220273-0-51735400-1409838894_thumb.
  • 2 months later...

This has just been implemented on the latest Mac version too and it's disturbing to know my notes will be accessible to anyone who goes to my computer if I forget to sign out and there are no other way to password protect notebooks with my personal notes as I'm on a Premium Plan personally, but use it at work. Evernote is supposed to improve work flow, but to actually have to click to the menu and sign out each time is time consuming when we're usually just used to hitting cmd+Q to exit the app and sign out. If the check box is going to ruin the design, then at least add an option in the preferences to choose not to stay logged in for security reasons? 

• 1 month later...

This effectively removes the option for a user to automatically logout of the desktop client whenever the user closes the application. This decreases security on a practical level. It's easy for a user to forget to logout of the application. Worse still, the more frequently the application is used, the greater the frequency of a missed logout before exiting.

In addition to computer theft, there is another case in which a missed logout could result complete exposure of a user's Evernote content. Consider when Evernote is used for both work and personal notes. In an organization's Windows environment, it is a common practice for an administrator to simply change the password of a user's Windows account (in Active Directory, for example) to lock that user out (termination, compromised password, etc.). They can change that password to whatever they want, log into the machine as that same Windows user and open Evernote without needing to know anything about that user's Evernote credentials.

Please restore the option to allow users to automatically logout. 

• 1 year later...

I agree - this is a huge security flaw IMO.  I make every effort to log out at the end of the day at my office, but I do forget sometimes.  This exposes EVERYTHING in my Evernote world to my IT people.  It appears the only fix is to delete the Evernote app from the computer and to use only the Internet interface from the office.  Why not a simple option forcing a log-on every time the app is started?  

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Tom Doran said:

I agree - this is a huge security flaw IMO.

I'm thinking its a great security risk that other people have access to your computer, but I certainly can understand it especially if you only have a shared computer at home,

>>Why not a simple option forcing a log-on every time the app is started?  

Please no - not without the "stay logged in" checkbox

Actually I probably haven't manually logged out or even shut down Evernote in a long time. 
Also, I just found out that you need internet access to restart your Evernote session.

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

>>Why not a simple option forcing a log-on every time the app is started?  

I can see where some would not want or need this, but for people who use Evernote at work, why not?  Why not add the option?  What would the downside be?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Tom Doran said:

I can see where some would not want or need this, but for people who use Evernote at work, why not?  Why not add the option?  What would the downside be?

If its implemented without the "stay logged in" checkbox, the downside is that I would be forced to log in dozens of times a day

• 1 year later...

Is this feature implemented?

I'm having an extremely difficult time, I'm having to log in every single time I goto evernote.

I use chrome browser on mac & its terrible. I've been using it for 3 days now & I'm highly considering moving out of evernote.

Archived